Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arroyo "jacked" for Thursday

Arroyo "jacked" for Thursday

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 04:07 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo "jacked" for Thursday

Hope he doesn't get jacked

HAHA?

Sorry
    Go Gators!

At least Narron isn't the GM.

"We got what we needed, they got what they needed," Reds manager Jerry Narron said Tuesday. "A lot of times people get caught up in, 'We got the better end of that trade.' But if you fill holes, it doesn't matter what the guy you traded does."

This tells you all you need to know about the Reds.

They know all about his reputation as a pitcher. The Reds traded Pena - an inconsistent power hitter who struggles in the outfield - for a pitcher who wasn't going to make the Red Sox rotation, and immediately made him the No. 2 starter.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

In a way, I agree with Narron. You can't let a fear of what a player "might" do prevent you from trading him when you have the ability to fill a gaping hole on your team. It's far different when it is a trade of an established player, and the return is obviously sub-par. But in other cases, sometimes you have to take a risk that the player everyone thought would be the next Pujols might not exactly get there.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I totally concur with that assessment. This franchise sat around worrying about what a Wily Mo, Kearns, or Dunn would do if they dealt them elsewhere instead of taking or making potential/rumored deals with a variety of franchises.

You boil it down though and Kearns and Pena especially have done nothing as major leaguers yet the Reds have held on to them and hoped and prayed they would eventually. We traded one young, unproven commodity for something that at least incrementally improves the overall outlook of the team at least in the short term. I am in favor of it because I don't think Wily Mo will ever amount to even a Tom Brunansky type career. Just my opinion.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    At least Narron isn't the GM.
    Theres nothing wrong with that quote. Billy Beane comments all the time that he tries to make deals that benefit both clubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I totally concur with that assessment. This franchise sat around worrying about what a Wily Mo, Kearns, or Dunn would do if they dealt them elsewhere instead of taking or making potential/rumored deals with a variety of franchises.

You boil it down though and Kearns and Pena especially have done nothing as major leaguers yet the Reds have held on to them and hoped and prayed they would eventually. We traded one young, unproven commodity for something that at least incrementally improves the overall outlook of the team at least in the short term. I am in favor of it because I don't think Wily Mo will ever amount to even a Tom Brunansky type career. Just my opinion.
    I agree. It does no good to gripe over the trade of an unproven outfielder, especially when you already have Dunn and Kearns. You can't build a winner around an outfield. Big gun outfielders make too much money that would be better spent on pitching.

We all got caught up in the Wily Mo fairy tale. He went from an over-matched youngster taking up space on the bench to a giant of a man who hit 26 homers in a handful of at bats. He caught everyone by surprise, including NL pitchers.

But what happens when a batter goes from an unknown to a feared slugger? Pitchers start looking for the holes that batter's swing. Word gets out and suddenly a hitter must adjust or be exposed. It doesn't take an expert scout to see Pena has holes in that hard swing. It doesn't take an expert to see Pena's stats in the second half last year were not very impressive.

It is better to trade a player too soon than too late. How many unproven outfielders are traded for fourteen game winners, with below league average ERA, and signed to a favorable contract?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Tom Brunansky doesn't even have the same skill set as Wily Mo. He walked a good amount and his slugging doesn't really come close to Wily Mo.

Just saying.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I believe it was the Angels who were questioned when they traded a young Brunansky.

I think Pete Incaviglia is probably a better example. Inky once hit a ball through a wall in spring training. Awesome power. Lots of strike outs. Few walks. Bad defense. Huge expectations. After five seasons, his value sank so low that the Rangers couldn't even swing a deal for him. He was released after five seasons as a regular.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?