Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shack, Kata and Willie B cut

Can he be stopped?

Shack, Kata and Willie B cut

From Marc:
    SARASOTA -- One more round of cuts today took out Brian Shackelford, Matt Kata and William Bergolla.

Shack took the news particularly hard, but in the end the trouble he had throwing strikes this spring probably was his undoing.

This round of cuts jibed with my roster projection in today's paper, which was nice, but we've got a long way to go before Monday. I still think something's brewing, but I'm not sure what.

Anyway, just to go on record when I get something wrong, this is my projection as it stands right now (note that Jerry is "99 percent" sure he'll carry 12 pitchers):

Catchers (3) -- LaRue, Valentin, Ross
    Infielders (6) -- Aurilia, Encarnacion, Freel, Hatteberg, Lopez, Womack
    Outfielders (4) -- Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, McCracken
    Pitchers (12) -- Arroyo, Belisle, Burns, Claussen, Coffey, Hammond, Harang, Mercker, Milton, Weathers, White, Williams
    No surprises there...
    Last edited by Dunner44; 03-29-2006 at 10:35 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Shack, Kata and Willie B cut

Options
    Options
    Options

even money has Shack back in Cincinnati first.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Are they all out of options? I know Kata is, but are Shackleford and Bergolla?

We'll see how the waivers go and see if they choose to stay in the system or go elsewhere. Not sure I care one way or the other.

So are they at 31 now?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    on the broadcast the other night one of the Reds announcers said Kata still had an option.

Can he be stopped?

They're at 33... but two instaly on the DL, so yeah, 31. If LaRue DLs, which may be smart if they want to keep Ross, then 30. But if LaRue is ready to go, and is healthy, hes worth more than an increased chance to keep Ross.

There's got to be a trade coming.

Has to be.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    There's got to be a trade coming.

Has to be.
    or it could simply be some waiver claims. Krivsky when talking with Georgie Boy the other night stated that he expected to see a lot waiver claims this week.

Do you really think McCracken has the inside track on the 4th OF spot? I don't know much about him defensively, but it seems like Brian Buchanan is the better offensive player and is a few years younger.

McCracken (36) - Switch
    Career: .276/.337/.375
    ST: .370/.408/.391

Buchanan (33) - Righty
    Career: .258/.328/.439
    ST: .553/.553/.895 (21/38 with 10 2b & 1 HR)

If they're looking for a defensive replacement and flexibility, I imagine they go with McCracken. If they go with Buck. With Kearns and Freel able to play CF capably, I would hope they'd go with the better bat. My gut tells me McCracken is probably the guy though -- especially if Narron makes the call.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz

We'll see how the waivers go and see if they choose to stay in the system or go elsewhere. Not sure I care one way or the other.
    All three have options remaining.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    From Marc:

Pitchers (12) -- Arroyo, Belisle, Burns, Claussen, Coffey, Hammond, Harang, Mercker, Milton, Weathers, White, Williams

No surprises there...
    I'd have to say that I'd be at least mildly surprised if they send Ryan Wagner to Louisville and take Rick White north with them.

Wagner doesn't seem like he's had a particularly bad spring, all things considered, and when he's on his game he's one of the better bullpen options the Reds have. I have to wonder what else time at AAA would do for him? He's a two pitch pitcher and it's a little late to think about adding any more wrinkles to his game. I guess maybe to let him get more work in and work on throwing strikes.

Who knows what this team is thinking anymore.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I remember seeing, perhaps in last night's game thread, that Williams was being sent to extended ST. That didn't make sense at the time, since I don't think sucking is a reason you can elect to do that, but anyone know what's going on there.

And I've already said it, Wagner not making the team is a mistake. Eat some money on White if you have to or get rid of some redundancy (Mercker or Hammond, I'm talking about you) and get some value from a team desperate for some bullpen help that is ready to contend

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I remember seeing, perhaps in last night's game thread, that Williams was being sent to extended ST. That didn't make sense at the time, since I don't think sucking is a reason you can elect to do that, but anyone know what's going on there.
    Marty made the comment that Dave Williams would not be heading north the with the ballclub for opening day, but would (instead) be staying with the extended spring training group to get extra work in before flying back to Cincinnati before his first scheduled start (whatever day the 5th starter is first needed).

There seems to be a lot of jiggerypoker going on with the roster right now -- extra players being taken north just in case a deal is made, some players being left in Florida even though they've made the roster. Somebody is going to hate their job trying to keep the 25/40 man rosters current on ESPN.com.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    There seems to be a lot of jiggerypoker going on with the roster right now -- extra players being taken north just in case a deal is made, some players being left in Florida even though they've made the roster. Somebody is going to hate their job trying to keep the 25/40 man rosters current on ESPN.com.
    Or the traveling secretary????

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Marty made the comment that Dave Williams would not be heading north the with the ballclub for opening day, but would (instead) be staying with the extended spring training group to get extra work in before flying back to Cincinnati before his first scheduled start (whatever day the 5th starter is first needed).

Ok, thanks for the explanation. That seems odd considering that he could be used out of the pen during that time frame.

Turn Off Ads?