Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shack, Kata and Willie B cut

Re: Shack, Kata and Willie B cut

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
    Cincinnati Reds Optioned pitcher Brian Shakelford and infielders William Bergolla and Matt Kata to Louisville of the International League (AAA).
    I am glad to see that Kata still had an option.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I'd have to say that I'd be at least mildly surprised if they send Ryan Wagner to Louisville and take Rick White north with them.

Wagner doesn't seem like he's had a particularly bad spring, all things considered, and when he's on his game he's one of the better bullpen options the Reds have. I have to wonder what else time at AAA would do for him? He's a two pitch pitcher and it's a little late to think about adding any more wrinkles to his game. I guess maybe to let him get more work in and work on throwing strikes.

Who knows what this team is thinking anymore.
    Sorry, the no surprises there comment was made before I edited the quote. Originally it just said Kata, Bergolla and Shack were optioned. I think it would be a crying shame if Wagner didn't make the roster. You don't need a lot of pitches to close, just some velocity and command and some scrappiness. Ryan fits the bill. White, IMHO, has shown me nothing. Wags was very efficent last night in 2 innings of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    Sorry, the no surprises there comment was made before I edited the quote. Originally it just said Kata, Bergolla and Shack were optioned. I think it would be a crying shame if Wagner didn't make the roster. You don't need a lot of pitches to close, just some velocity and command and some scrappiness. Ryan fits the bill. White, IMHO, has shown me nothing. Wags was very efficent last night in 2 innings of work.
    Last spring I too thought Wagner should close. Then came 2005 and his 6.11 ERA. No thanks.

I wouldn't mind seeing Wagner spend two months in AAA developing some consistency, something he has sorely lacked in the major leagues. Even if he makes the Reds he has a lot to prove before he is a closer candidate.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-29-2006 at 05:11 PM.

Judging by the way they are working him this spring I think they have slotted Wags into the setup role. He seems more comfortable there as well.

I agree with TR that the should get rid of Kullman's mistake and take Wags with them.

As for Williams the reason he is staying behind is not so much for extended ST but to keep him on the same routine, ie to be able to pitch the Saturday before he is required.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...9/c1368659.jsp
    Notes: Reds narrow down roster
    03/29/2006 5:03 PM ET
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Almost there.
    The latest wave of Reds cuts claimed three more players Wednesday morning, when pitcher Brian Shackelford and infielders Matt Kata and William Bergolla were optioned to Triple-A Louisville.

Cincinnati has 33 players remaining in big league camp. That number dwindles to 30 healthy bodies since pitchers Paul Wilson (shoulder) and Grant Balfour (shoulder/elbow) will start the season on the disabled list. Non-roster outfielder Dewayne Wise (sprained left ankle) also won't be heading north.

These 20 players appeared to be roster locks for Opening Day:

Catchers Jason LaRue and Javier Valentin; infielders Rich Aurilia, Edwin Encarnacion, Ryan Freel, Scott Hatteberg, Felipe Lopez and Tony Womack; outfielders Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr., Austin Kearns; starting pitchers Bronson Arroyo, Brandon Claussen, Aaron Harang, Eric Milton and Dave Williams and relievers Chris Hammond, Kent Mercker, David Weathers and Rick White.

That left 10 players competing for the final five spots on the 25-man roster.

"When it gets down to these last few cuts, it gets very, very difficult," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

Four pitchers -- Matt Belisle, Mike Burns, Todd Coffey and Ryan Wagner are fighting for what's expected to be three bullpen spots. All four have Minor League options left.

In the sixth inning of Wednesday's 7-6 win over the Devil Rays, Belisle gave up a three-run homer to first batter Ty Wigginton but then recorded two quick outs. Coffey later pitched a scoreless ninth and recorded the save despite allowing a hit and a wild pitch.

Narron is expected to carry 12 pitchers.

"I'm still 99 percent sure it will be 12," Narron said. "(Saying) that gives me a tad of wiggle room."

Catchers David Ross and Dane Sardinha and outfielders Jacob Cruz and Quinton McCracken are leading the fight for the final two roster spots. The decision on whether or not to keep an extra catcher will depend heavily on LaRue's recovery from arthroscopic knee surgery. LaRue contends he'll be ready by Opening Day but he could likely start the season on the disabled list.

Ross -- acquired in a March 21 trade with the Padres -- and Sardinha are out of options. Both would likely be claimed off of waivers by a catching-starved club.

Cruz, the Reds' pinch-hits leader last season with 20, has struggled at the plate during camp while batting .194 (6-for-31). Batting .356 (16-for-45), McCracken appears to have the edge but has been bothered lately by a sore right foot.

Throwing a wrench in the projections are two things -- the potential for a last-minute trade and veteran outfielder Brian Buchanan.

Buchanan, who was not even invited to big league camp, might be enticing for Narron and general manager Wayne Krivsky to consider keeping after he made the most of his chances. He batted an eye-popping .568 (21-for-37) with 13 RBIs in 20 games with Cincinnati this spring.

News and features:

• Reds Notes: Roster sees further trimming
    • Dunn, Griffey lead Reds over Rays
    • Reds notes: Second base not set
    • Five-run sixth inning propels Reds
    • Griffey stars as Reds rip Bucs
    • Reds notes: LaRue's surgery fast
    Multimedia:

• Reds Spring Training report: 350K
    • Sheldon on Ruhle's cancer diagnosis
    • Reds broadcaster Welsh on Dunn signing
    • Reds GM Wayne Krivsky on plans
    • MLB.com's Mark Sheldon on Krivsky
    • Reds introduce new GM Krivsky
    Spring Training info:
    • MLB.com coverage | Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets

More on the cuts: The decision to cut Shackelford came down to control. The lefty posted a 4.50 ERA (six earned runs over 12 innings) in 10 games, but issued seven walks.

"Shackelford was inconsistent this spring, especially at throwing strikes," Narron said. "He did a good job against left-handers this spring. But overall, we would have liked to see a little more consistency. He's got to be able to get right-handers out."

The versatile Kata, who was claimed off waivers from Philadelphia earlier this month, batted just .143 (4-for-28) since joining the Reds. Bergolla missed most of camp with a high groin strain. He didn't play in his first game until Tuesday night.

Sick numbers: Harang, the Reds' Opening Day starter, put a crooked number (5) on the scoreboard for the first time all spring on Wednesday. It happened during the final inning of his final outing.

But Harang certainly had a valid excuse -- he was sick. Before the game, the right-hander said he needed to nap for about an hour to feel better.

Still, Harang looked good for three scoreless innings. After Cincinnati posted four runs during a long bottom of the fifth, Tampa Bay responded with five runs -- four of them charged to Harang. Overall, he gave up five runs on 10 hits. He also walked his first batter of the spring and struck out three.

"I ran out of gas. I was exhausted," said Harang, who still got the win and finished the spring 4-0 with a 2.84 ERA. "I'm getting a bug that's going around. I had a little temperature this morning. I haven't been sleeping the last couple of nights. I wanted to make sure I got my work in."

Harang pronounced himself ready for Monday's opener against the Cubs, but wasn't dwelling on it.

"It probably won't hit me until we get to Cincinnati," he said. "It probably won't hit me until that day."

Coming up: Arroyo will be facing his former club for the first time Thursday when the Reds play the Red Sox at 1:05 p.m. ET at Fort Myers. Knuckleballer Tim Wakefield is scheduled to start for Boston.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn Off Ads?