Thread: Kelvin Sampson to Indiana

Worth The Wait

Kelvin Sampson to Indiana

From an OU grad.....

http://www.edkleese.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I Still Miss Sean Casey

Re: Kelvin Sampson to Indiana

I wasn't one of those Kelvin bashers, but I thought he could've done a better job with this year's team. I also thought that it was perhaps time for a change.
    Now the real fun begins to see who OU will replace Sampson with. Right now, the big-name rumor is John Calipari of Memphis.

I'll be very interested. My question is if Calapari wasn't interested in IU why would he want to go to Oklahoma?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Retired

I doubt OU could afford Calipari, and I doubt Calipari would want OU. All his recruiting ties are east coast. His buyout at Memphis around $3 millon alone, that's why he's not at IU right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerSoonerRed
    I wasn't one of those Kelvin bashers, but I thought he could've done a better job with this year's team. I also thought that it was perhaps time for a change.
    Now the real fun begins to see who OU will replace Sampson with. Right now, the big-name rumor is John Calipari of Memphis.
    The most likely is going to be Mark Turgeon of Wichita St.

What is going to be even more interesting is NC St. The latest rumor has Rick Barnes(A NC Native) going to NC St and several big name coaches being looked at by Texas(including Tubby Smith).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed

What is going to be even more interesting is NC St. The latest rumor has Rick Barnes(A NC Native) going to NC St and several big name coaches being looked at by Texas(including Tubby Smith).
    NC State fans are off their rockers, Barnes isn't going to take that job. He'll listen, so he can use it to get a raise from Texas, that's about it. Like it or not, NCST is always going to play 4th fiddle in that state, behind Duke, North Carolina and Wake Forest. They don't have the resources or facilities of those schools either.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    NC State fans are off their rockers, Barnes isn't going to take that job. He'll listen, so he can use it to get a raise from Texas, that's about it. Like it or not, NCST is always going to play 4th fiddle in that state, behind Duke, North Carolina and Wake Forest. They don't have the resources or facilities of those schools either.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5463232

INDIANAPOLIS - Herb Sendek is headed to Arizona State and the names continue to pop up for the opening Sendek created in Raleigh.

According to sources close to the situation, N.C. State will make a mammoth push to try and convince Hickory, N.C., native Rick Barnes to leave Austin and return to his home state.

He's the guy they want, but not necessarily the guy they can get.

It'll be an offer difficult for Barnes to refuse. However, he's got a good thing going at Texas. Going home is nice and all, but winning is even better. The Longhorns are the cream of the crop in the Big 12 while Barnes will forever play second or third fiddle to Duke and UNC if he goes to N.C. State.

Memphis' John Calipari. Gonzaga's Mark Few. Kentucky's Tubby Smith have been mentioned. Even Jim Larranaga of George Mason has been bandied about.

However, if Barnes does turn the eventual offer down, one possibility is Miami head coach Frank Haith, who grew up about an hour away in Burlington, N.C., graduated from in-state Elon College and worked for Barnes for three years. He was also an assistant at UNC-Wilmington and Wake Forest.

Haith has a lengthy track record as a recruiter. He was one of the best in the nation at Texas. He helped convince LaMarcus Aldridge and Daniel Gibson to remain in the state.

In two years as a head coach at Miami, he's done far more than anyone expected. In the program's first season in the ACC, the Hurricanes went 16-13 and 7-9 in conference play. This past year, Miami was 18-16 and 7-9 again in ACC play.

Haith is in the mix for the vacancy at Oklahoma, created when Kelvin Sampson left for Indiana.

Creighton coach Dana Altman turns down a hefty offer for the Oklahoma job while Wichita State's Mark Turgeon remains a candidate.

Could Jarvis return to Boston area?

How about Mike Jarvis for Northeastern? It could happen.

The former BU, George Washington and St. John's coach is from nearby Cambridge, graduated from Northeastern and is looking to get back into coaching.

"I've said it and I'll say it again," Jarvis said while attending the Final Four in Indianapolis. "If the right situation and the right person were to approach me about coaching, I'd certainly look into it. Who knows, maybe Northeastern is one of those places."

Other names in the mix include Brown coach Glen Miller, Boston College assistant Bill Coen and Memphis assistant and former UMass player Derek Kellogg.

If Jarvis goes, look for him to bring his son, Mike Jarvis II, who would take over the program a la Dick and Tony Bennett or Bob and Pat Knight.

Glen Miller appears to be the front-runner for the Hartford opening. … Look for Penn State assistant Jerry Dunn to get the Canisius job. ... Don't be surprised if there's an announcement this week from Temple naming Fran Dunphy as John Chaney's successor.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Retired

Larranaga is a bust waiting to happen. He's a 56 year old carrer mid-major coach who's done nothing until this year. If any team shells out a pile of cash for him I hope their AD gets fired.

Barnes gig at Texas is too sweet for him to leave, and NC State can't afford his buyout. They can't afford Tubby's buyout either. I doubt Tubby is leaving this year anyway, he would have done it by now. Not too many big time coaches will be rushing to take the NCST job when you have to 2 hall of famers and recruting monsters (Williams/Coach K) in the same state. One name I've heard kicked around for NC State if Bobby Lutz.

Not too many big time coaches will be rushing to take the NCST job when you have to 2 hall of famers and recruting monsters (Williams/Coach K) in the same state.
    It has worked well for Skip Prosser. Granted, this has been a down year, but what I like about Prosser is that he recruits mostly in state talent. I'm betting UNC and Duke neither one have a North Carolina player on their roster.

Edit, well I just researched it. Duke has 1 NC player on their roster, UNC on the other hand has 7.
    Last edited by WVRed; 04-03-2006 at 10:23 PM.

I Still Miss Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed

One of the columnists for The Daily Oklahoman, the statewide paper, has been running a NCAA tournament type bracket the last couple of days, but instead of teams, it's coaches and the one that comes out through the bracket is his choice as OU's next head coach. Turgeon made it to the Sweet 16, but Calipari got eliminated in the second round.
    His Final Four and subsequent pick for new OU coach comes out in Tuesday's edition.
    www.newsok.com

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Barnes isn't going anywhere. I agree completely.

The RBC Center in Raleigh, home of the Wolfpack and NHL Carolina Hurricanes, is arguably the finest college B-Ball arena in the country. Facilities and resources are not the problem here in Raleigh at all. For the most part, Sendek pleased the donors, the A.D and Chancellor, just couldn't please the fickle fan base. The next coach will have to please everyone....not an easy task.

Turn Off Ads?