Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 3/29/06. Andy Furman was the host tonight. Marty called in to start the show. They talked about how everyone was anxious to get ST over with and start the season. Andy asked if every Red got a fair shake down there. Marty said they did and it was the most fair and equitable camp he's seen. He said there will be guys upset they didn't make the club but he doesn't feel any player didn't get a fair shake. Andy asked about Brian Buchanan. Marty said his chances of making the team may have improved with McCracken's injury and LaRue's injury. Marty thinks that despite LaRue's protests, he will go in the DL just to be on the safe side. Marty feels Buchanan should make the team since he is hitting and fielding well. Andy asked about Jacob Cruz. Marty said that he has had a poor spring and does not give you much defensive versatility. He is a guy who is on the bubble every year but his chances also may have been enhanced by McCracken's injury. Marty said Cruz is well liked but still may not make the team. Andy asked about if Buchanan might make the team over Cruz because of contracts. Marty said that could happen and with long term contacts and options the best 25 don't always make the club despite what the manager and GM say. (Yeah, yeah, we get it. I hear this from him every spring about how the best 25 don't make the team. Build a bridge, eat a peach and get over it) Andy asked what the 19 and 11 won loss record meant. Marty said it didn't mean a thing. The Red Sox have a lousy ST record and they aren't going to be lousy. The important thing is to get the guys ready to play. Andy asked about Harang's performance today. Marty said he pitched well for the first 5 innings but then had problems after that that could be related to the flu. Marty gushed over how well he has pitched all spring and is excited about the kind of year he could have. Andy said you could say the same about Jr. since he has had a great spring as well since tearing it up in the WBC. Marty agreed and thought the WBC had a lot to do with it. He said he and Narron talked about that today. He said he doesn't think Jr. would ever say that he knows how he stacks up to the great players in the game today and he has the kind of confidence that he feels he can play with anyone. Marty said that what he accomplished there showed that he was still among the elite in the game and it gave him tremendous confidence. Marty said his swing looks as good as he has seen it and his attitude is outstanding. Andy talked about Doc K and LaRue getting flown up to Cincinnati and back in Bob's private plane and what that meant to the players. Marty said that you cannot imagine the feelings the players had based on that one gesture. He said you can't buy that kind of confidence and loyalty from the players by doing that. (And I'm sure they will be just as touched if Jason is traded)

After commercial Andy asked about Todd Coffey. Marty said that no one there will say anything bad but he feels Narron is disappointed one of the young pitchers didn't step up and take the bull by the horns as far as the closer's role is concerned. He said Belisle gave up a 3 run HR today and Coffey barely got out of the game without a loss. He said that a closer has to have a certain mentality in addition to the talent to do the job. He doesn't know if they have the mindset to do the job or they are just too young to fill that role. Andy asked about Ryan Wagner and Marty saifd he pitched very well this spring and pitched 2 innings yesterday which made Marty think they were showcasing Wagner. He said between Belisle, Mike Burns, Coffey and Wagner, one pf those 4 will be in LOU next week. Marty thinks Burns is a lock. Andy asked about the catching situation. Marty said there have been trade rumors, but nothing specific, they have 3 catchers who are all unique in their own abilities and he believes by May one will be traded. He thinks all 3 have a certain appeal and Ross is the best defensive catcher of the 3 (Damning him with faint praise?) Andy asked about the starter at 2nd. Marty said if he were a betting man, Aurilia would start on Monday but that doesn't mean he will be the starter full time. Andy said Aurilia is a better defensive player than Freel at 2nd. Marty agreed and said he's certainly better than Womack. He said he thinks Rich will start cause of his defense but over the course of the year, Freel will get a lot of starts there and elsewhere. (Marty not on the Womack bandwagon? Hmmmm) Andy asked about Freel's lack of hitting this spring. Marty said no one's worried about it.

After commercial, Steve called in. Andy asked him about the Opening Day deal. Steve said he would do the first half of the game with Marty and Joe would do the last half with Marty. Andy asked if all 3 would be in the booth at once. Steve said that Marty doesn't want it like that and that is how it will be. He said he is just glad Joe will have a role. Andy asked Steve about Aaron's performance today and asked if his fever had anything to do with it. Steve said they couldn't get him enough cowbell for the fever (Just kidding ) He actually said that they weren't sure he would actually pitch today with his flu but he did get his throwing in and Steve hoped it was a Mulligan. Andy asked about the rest of the rotation. He asked if Claussen was the #2 starter. Steve said that Arroyo would probably get the #2 spot and Claussn would get the #3 spot. Milton will be the #4 guy and has looked better this spring than he did last year. Andy said it must drive the coaches crazy that he is good one outing and not so good the next. He said Claussen is inconsistent as well, Arroyo is too new to judge and Williams has had a horrible spring (Welcome to the Wonderful World of Reds Pitching). Andy said Williams may come back to haunt the Reds if he doesn't pitch well since he was traded for Casey. Steve said he is probably under the microscope somewhat but that won't affect how Williams prepares. Steve mentioned Paul Wilson and if he comes back there will be a decision of who to take out of the rotation. Andy felt one of them would pitch his way out of the rottion by that time. Steve agreed and said Williams will probaly get skipped on ocassion cause he's the 5th starter. Steve said if they coud be in the middle of the pack in ERA the offense can help win them more games. Andy questioned how long the Reds would stay with Milton if he stinks again. Steve said if he does suck, he would probably go to the bullpen. Steve said that the good thing about Milton's deal is that each day the Reds owe him less money. (Now that is optimism. Reminds me of the story about the boy who was happy to find a room filled with manure cause he figured with all that manure, there would have to be a pony in there somewhere) Steve thought if he were in the 3rd year of the deal and he still sucked they very well could release him. Andy asked if Milton's situation was mental, physical or both. Steve said he's OK mentally and his bad knee that he strengthened may help him out. He may feel that with the trade for Arroyo that the spotlight may be off him. Andy said Tom Browning is a big believer in Milton and thinks he will have a big year. (Mercker and Browning both think he will have a big year? And people wonder why southpaws are goofier than pet coons) Steve said that if Milton is pitching well he pitches a lot of innings and pitches to contact (Thought we heard the last of that phrase, didn't you?) he can take strain off the bullpen. If he can pitch like his career average, it will be huge for the Reds.

After commercial Andy gushed over Brian Buchanan again (This manlove for Buchanan is getting Grande/Edmondsesque. Andy and Marty are going to have to fight it out to prove who loves B. Brian more) Steve said with injuries he could make the roster. He compared it to Rob Stratton's spring last year. He said he has earned a spot but if he makes the team it may be tough to continue the momentum since he has been getting multiple ABs every day. Andy asked him if he doesn't make the roster, does he play in Louisville. Steve said it is possible but there's a pretty god chance he goes north. Andy asked about Jacob Cruz (Would it kill him to ask Marty and Steve different questons? I feel like I'm reading the Post and the Enquirer's similar stories each day.) Steve said if LaRue and McCracken are on the DL, Buchanan and Cruz could make it.

After commercial Andy asked Steve about the 2nd base situation. He felt Womack has played himself out of the starting spot with his poor defense (If I were Tony, I would demand to be released so I could bring my scrappiness to a team in dire need of it) Steve said Tony has hit well but Aurilia has been steady offensively and defensively and Freel has stolen 9 bases so Tony may be low man on the totem pole. Steve said Lopez becomes leadoff hitter by default if Freel isn't playing. Andy asked if Womack could be on the bubble. Steve said not at the present time but perhaps into the season. He said he has enough of a big league track record that he feels pretty safe Womack will be on the team but you don't know what will happen as the year goes on.

This endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 3/29/06. This is the last one till November, kids. It's been a little slice of Purgatory. Thanks for reading and until November: So let it be written. So let it be done.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Stove League show report

It concerns me that the words "SHOWCASING Wagner" were used tonight. Why would you showcase a number 1 draft pick of two years ago with a lot of potential?

IF we are looking for young pitching, why showcase him?
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Thanks, Chip...see ya in October! This was one of the few Hot Stove League shows that I listened all the way thru (namely because I was in the car). And it was one of the best despite having more Chip asides than usual . It might also have to do with no phone calls - that's not to say that I enjoy having the Furrball do the show. Just a few listening observations...

(Yeah, yeah, we get it. I hear this from him every spring about how the best 25 don't make the team. Build a bridge, eat a peach and get over it)
    BTW Chip, it's called a cliche and Marty and most other baseball people are full of it, sooooo - get over it...

After commercial, Steve called in. Andy asked him about the Opening Day deal. Steve said he would do the first half of the game with Marty and Joe would do the last half with Marty. Andy asked if all 3 would be in the booth at once. Steve said that Marty doesn't want it like that and that is how it will be. He said he is just glad Joe will have a role.
    Steve sounded very tired answering that question...

(Would it kill him to ask Marty and Steve different questons? I feel like I'm reading the Post and the Enquirer's similar stories each day.)
    IMHO, Furrball was asking the same questions hoping that Steve would contradict Marty - but that's just me...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 21-17
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

If Marty and Steve are right then the Reds have been "showcasing" Womack for the last 2 weeks.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

We can hope so, flyer. Between these comments, Narron's allusion to second-base-by-committee, and the article (forget which one) that alluded to the Reds making Womack available, I'm feeling better that we're not going to have to look at Tony Womack out there at second base every... single... day.

Now if we'd just snag another first baseman from somewhere...
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    If Marty and Steve are right then the Reds have been "showcasing" Womack for the last 2 weeks.
    But...what will we do for a leadoff guy since Freel is tool valuble????

Thanks Chip
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by alexad
    It concerns me that the words "SHOWCASING Wagner" were used tonight. Why would you showcase a number 1 draft pick of two years ago with a lot of potential?

IF we are looking for young pitching, why showcase him?
    I have felt all along that Ryan Wagner was an extremely poor draft selection by Jim Bowden, which was magnified by JimBo's decision to bring him up only six weeks later. The reason I think that Wagner was a poor selection is because the club evidently has projected Wagner as a relief pitcher from the moment he was drafted. In my opinion, any pitcher drafted in the first three or four rounds should figure into future plans as a starter, and only become a reliever if he fails in the rotation. Since the Reds never intended for Wagner to be a starter, it is my contention that the draft pick could have been better utilized.

That being said, Wagner is a relief pitcher with some potential. However, I would not hesitate to package him in a deal that would yield a starter or quality starting prospect.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

You don't think a Womack/Wagner for RHP Aaron Heilman might be in the works?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Thanks, Chip...see ya in October! This was one of the few Hot Stove League shows that I listened all the way thru (namely because I was in the car). And it was one of the best despite having more Chip asides than usual . It might also have to do with no phone calls - that's not to say that I enjoy having the Furrball do the show. Just a few listening observations...

BTW Chip, it's called a cliche and Marty and most other baseball people are full of it, sooooo - get over it...

Steve sounded very tired answering that question...

IMHO, Furrball was asking the same questions hoping that Steve would contradict Marty - but that's just me...
    I'm sorry Kitty but i disagree with your opinion on this one.

Andy Furman is the last man on earth that I want to hear asking Marty and Steve questions about the Reds. He only ask questions he has heard or read them answer before.

If he's heard or read the answers chances are we ALL HAVE.

If I were King the only time Furballs voice would ever be heard on radio is if he happend to call "The Bananna Phone"

Thanks Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    You don't think a Womack/Wagner for RHP Aaron Heilman might be in the works?
    As much as I like Wagner, I would absolutely do that deal.

BTW, thanks again Chip!
    I miss Adam Dunn.

From Fay's article:

There also has been talk among scouts that Wagner might be available through a trade.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...603300386/1071
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    From Fay's article:

There also has been talk among scouts that Wagner might be available through a trade.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...603300386/1071
    I think this will be Wagner's year to show everyone what he's got. I would trade Coffey although Wagner would probably fetch more in a trade. Your not going to get much for either, maybe a Shealy from Colorado could be had for one or the other.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    I'm sorry Kitty but i disagree with your opinion on this one.

Andy Furman is the last man on earth that I want to hear asking Marty and Steve questions about the Reds. He only ask questions he has heard or read them answer before.

If he's heard or read the answers chances are we ALL HAVE.

If I were King the only time Furballs voice would ever be heard on radio is if he happend to call "The Bananna Phone"

Thanks Chip
    Well, between idiotic phone calls and Furrball (or any other host), most of the Hot Stove League reports are re-hashed filler : . Kudos to Chip for enduring and then typing it . As I stated, this was one of the few times I got thru most of the report.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 21-17
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

He said he thinks Rich will start cause of his defense but over the course of the year, Freel will get a lot of starts there and elsewhere. (Marty not on the Womack bandwagon? Hmmmm)
    I heard an interview with Womack and was completely turned off. It was all "me", all "I'll get my work in" and "I can't worry about the others", etc. He was asked about the others trying for the 2nd base job. It was very ungracious, IMO. It reminds me of Davey Johnson after the Mets beat the Bosox in the Series and he was asked if he felt lucky to have the chance to win it. "No," he said, "we were the better team". No nod towards acknowledging that luck had placed them there and they had the skill to make it happen. For Womack to make no acknowledgement that his teammates are equally capable and they'd all have to do their best, and so on.... :thumbdown

Thanks chip.

Because his motion is an injury waiting to happen? He's not a wasted draft pick, but it's pretty close. I'll be thrilled if RW is the guy who gets sent to AAA. He NEEDS to spend some time at AAA developing a consistant motion that doesn't injure his arm. If he doesn't do that this year, I suspect he'll keep getting hurt and never develop into anything useful to a major league club.

Turn Off Ads?