Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Red Green says bye to Possum Lodge

Red Green says bye to Possum Lodge

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/nationa...en_051104.html

I just found this out. Sad. Great show.

Red Green says bye to Possum Lodge

Don your plaid and get out the duct tape.

The final Red Green Show will be taped before a live audience in Toronto on Saturday, Nov. 5., and will air in March.

Red Green (Steve Smith, right) and his nephew Harold (Patrick McKenna)
    The sold-out show marks an end to 15 years of Canadian TV history. This is the final season of the show, which airs Friday nights on CBC-TV.

Comedian Steve Smith originally created the Red Green character for a CHCH series out of Hamilton, Ont., Smith and Smith. It starred Smith and his wife, Morag.

The show, about the handyman with the philosophy "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" moved from one network to another before finding a home on CBC.

It attracts about one million viewers a week and is taped in Harbourside Studios in Toronto before a live audience who often wear plaid shirts and carry rolls of duct tape to fit in with the Possum Lodge atmosphere. A fan club boasts about 100,000 members.

The show created a host of memorable characters, including his straight-man nephew Harold, played by Patrick McKenna, and the light-fingered Mike Hamar, played by Wayne Robson.

Red Green's greatest legacy may be the thousands of uses he has found for duct tape, and the Possum Lodge Man's Prayer: "I'm a man/ But I can change/ If I have to/ I guess."

Smith says that after 300 episodes and 9,500 pages of script, he's not going to miss being Red Green.

"I won't miss him, not even slightly," he said in an interview with the Hamilton Spectator. "It's been so great, honestly, it's all positive memories for me, and if I felt sad, it would be kind of like I'm greedy, that I wanted more of that. I don't think there is more. I don't think there could be more and I sure don't need more or expect more."

Smith, a resident of Hamilton, plans to continue writing and running S&S Productions, which produces the Red Green Show.

He is a script consultant on the upcoming CTV comedy Jeff, Ltd. and plans to get more involved in the S&S animated program, Sons of Butcher for Teletoon.

Smith revealed that the final episode will give fans a video glimpse into what the future holds for the characters who hung around Possum Lodge with Red.

"It will be a kind of where-are-they-now thing where we fast-forward 10 years ahead," Smith says. "I really want the fans to feel satisfied and know what happened to the characters, and that everybody's OK and the lodge still exists somewhere. It's just not on TV anymore."
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red Green says bye to Possum Lodge

Memorable Quotes....

Red Green: If my wife is watching, I'll be coming straight home after the meeting... and all this lawyer stuff has got me thinkin', maybe later tonight, if you present me with your briefs, I'll recommend a merger.

Dalton Humphries: Well, your dad taught you about the birds and the bees, didn't he?
    Red Green: No, he just gave me a book by Mickey Spillane called "Kiss Me Deadly" and he said this is what married people do. I thought he meant shoot each other and have car chases.

Red Green: You can't be forgetting your wedding anniversary, Dalton.
    Dalton Humphries: Yeah, it's kind of ironic when the second dumbest think you ever did was to forget the dumbest thing you ever did.

[he Possum Lodge Word Game. Red tries to get Dalton to guess the word 'Sensitive.']
    Red Green: Alright... aware.
    Dalton Humphries: Sober.
    Red Green: Touchy.
    Dalton Humphries: Feely.
    Red Green: Touchy-feely.
    Dalton Humphries: Richard Simmons?
    Red Green: Compared to you, your wife is more...
    Dalton Humphries: Overweight.
    Red Green: Emotionally, she's more...
    Dalton Humphries: Weepy!
    Red Green: No, she notices things more, because she's...
    Dalton Humphries: Picky.
    Red Green: You would never say to your wife that she's picky, overweight or weepy because...
    Dalton Humphries: Castration?
    Red Green: The vertical hold on your television set.
    Dalton Humphries: Sensitive.

Harold Green: Where does cheese come from, anyway?
    Red Green: I'm not sure but I think butter comes from leaving milk out too long.
    Harold Green: Maybe cheese is butter that has been left out too long...
    Red Green: Yeah, could be... but I always thought cheese was a urine product. No, maybe that's cheez-whiz.

Reg Hunter: "Vegetarian" is an old Indian word meaning "I don't hunt so good."

Edgar Montrose: Ever notice that fast-burning fuse looks exactly the same as slow-burning fuse? I didn't...

Harold Green: How can you stand there and say things that don't have a shred of truth to them?
    Red Green: Well, that's something that married people just do, Harold.

Harold Green: You know, the ancient Romans brewed beer. In fact, every great Western civilization brewed beer. Did you know that?
    Red Green: Yes, I did. And did you know that, at some point, every great civilization collapsed? Connection, perhaps?
    Red Green: Harold, if it's good enough for Julius Caesar, it's good enough for Possum Lodge.
    Harold Green: Veni, vidi, vomiti. I came, I saw, I ralphed.

Love this show, hope it stays on PBS in reruns.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

And remember, keep your stick on the ice.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I'd buy this if they sold it on DVD.

That was one FUNNY show. Hate to see it go.

Tip of the cap to Steve Smith. Thanks for the memories, but sorry you are typecast.

"Hey, if my wife's reading this right, now, I'll be home after the meeting for a little bit of thumb wrestling. I'll let you win this time."
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

That sux. I only discovered this show about 2 years ago and really enjoy it.

Here's his website.....

http://www.redgreen.com/

You can buy all types of stuff on there, including DVD/VHS of previous shows and specials. The "Stuffed and Mounted" series is pretty good.

Turn Off Ads?