Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Help With Team #678

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Help With Team #678

Alright- Based on all the advice I've been reading here, I've made some moves to change my team around. I really have no idea what I'm doing so any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure of the terminolgy you guys use, but it looks as though it is a 10 team, 11 x 11 scoring system (does that mean the number of offensive categories scored vs. the number of pitching categories?).

Here are the categories:

Offense: R, H, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, TB, and AVG.

Pitching: IP, W, CG, SHO, SV, ER, BB, K, GIDP, ERA, and WHIP.

A few things come to mind in looking at this. One, scoring for hits and singles seems to be a bit redundant, doesn't it? I always hate these leagues because they seem to double score for everything. Also, I like OPS for a category and it is missing from here. For pitchers, I'm not sure how the pitcher plays a role in the double play, but it is here, alas. Sinced there are 11 categories, you can see why I just ignored speed. I lose stolen bases every week to win the other 9 or 10. Am I wrong on this thinking?

Anyway, here is my new roster:

1B- David Ortiz
    2B- Jeff Kent
    SS- Felipe Lopez
    3B- David Wright
    Util- Scott Rolen
    Util- Melvin Mora
    OF- Adam Dunn
    OF- Pat Burrell
    OF- Vernon Wells
    C- Jason Varitek
    BN- JD Drew
    BN- Jeremy Hermida
    BN- Edwin Encarnacion
    BN- Curtis Granderson

SP- Roy Oswalt
    SP- Tim Hudson
    RP- Chad Cordero
    RP- Jason Isringhausen
    P- Erik Bedard
    P- Daniel Cabreara
    P- Kelvim Escobar
    BN- Francisco Liriano
    BN- Chris Young
    BN- Oliver Perez

This is how I was going to start the season with the lineup, and any advice would be helpful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Help With Team #678

Wow, Dom. For someone who supposedly doesn't know what they're doing, your team looks very good.

Personally, I think Tim Hudson is overrated, but that's just my opinion. The pitchers behind him all have real shots at breaking out this year. You might need a 3rd closer at some point to keep you competitve in saves, and you can put them in the lineup when you don't have a SP pitching.

I think your offense is ready to roll as is.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Wow, Dom. For someone who supposedly doesn't know what they're doing, your team looks very good.
    I made 4 or 5 moves based on your advice to others. Someone dropped JD Drew, too, and I figured he was better than some OF for the Cubs I had (his first year with them).

Couldn't believe Granderson was still there.

Personally, I think Tim Hudson is overrated, but that's just my opinion. The pitchers behind him all have real shots at breaking out this year.
    I really want to cut Hudson. I drafted him midway through, and just sort of wondered why I did. He only brings Wins to the table, so I think when someone else breaks out, I'll go with them.

You might need a 3rd closer at some point to keep you competitve in saves, and you can put them in the lineup when you don't have a SP pitching.
    I had the dude that replaced McDougal from KC, but dropped him when I saw everyone only playing two closers. I think I'll wait to see which starters gdo well and then pick up one, or maybe trade some of my offensive depth for a stud. Or, if you know of any sleepers that have been nomally undrafted, let me know.

Relievers seem like base stealers to me in that they only help with one category completely and then you might get some help with WHIP and ERA, too.

I have a few quick questions:

1) Am I starting the right people? Would you bench Hudson for someone else?

2) In these leagues, do you usually turn in a lineup once a week or is it every day or third day?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    I had the dude that replaced McDougal from KC, but dropped him when I saw everyone only playing two closers. I think I'll wait to see which starters gdo well and then pick up one, or maybe trade some of my offensive depth for a stud. Or, if you know of any sleepers that have been nomally undrafted, let me know.

Relievers seem like base stealers to me in that they only help with one category completely and then you might get some help with WHIP and ERA, too.

I have a few quick questions:

1) Am I starting the right people? Would you bench Hudson for someone else?

2) In these leagues, do you usually turn in a lineup once a week or is it every day or third day?

Burgos from K.C. Yeah, he's a gamble, especially on a team like KC that could lose close to 100.

If Mike Gonzalez of PIT is out there, I'd grab him. Same with Chris Ray of BAL. I've found both to be very undervalued this year. Don't know who I'd drop to pick one of them up, maybe Encarnacion since your offense is already good and you most likely won't need him.

As for starting the right people, yeah. The offense is as it should be everyday barring injuries. I'd keep Hudson in the starting spot, especially since his first start is against LA at Chavez Ravine, a pitcher's park. The pitchers on your bench are kind of semi-long term investments. Liriano is a middle reliever right now, but his upside is near what Johan Santana's was when he came out of the MIN pen. Chris Young has really struggled this spring, but I think he'll turn it around, but keep him on the bench until he does. Same with Oliver Perez. Keep him on the bench until he shows he deserves to be in your lineup.

Most leagues these days make daily transactions, but I wouldn't change your lineup the way it is unless the following occurs 1) Ol. Perez starts outpitching Hudson, Liriano gets a rotation spot, C. Young turns it around, or you pick up Mike Gonzalez. Then you can rotate them in on days when your #1 and #2 P's, Hudson and Oswalt aren't pitching and then put Oswalt and Hudson back in the lineup after whoever you do put in pitches.

Good work, Dom.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Gonzalez is out there, but Ray is taken.

Would you drop Encarnacion, Perez, or Young?

If Edwin goes off, I'll kill myself.

Good work, Dom.
    You know, I just bought a magazine and read up on offense on a plane trip to Chicago. I didn't get around to the pitching, obviously, but I found a page that talked about pitching sleepers and I just started drafting all of them that were available.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 03-31-2006 at 02:28 PM.

Gonzalez is out there, but Ray is taken.

Would you drop Encarnacion, Perez, or Young?

If Edwin goes off, I'll kill myself.
    Those are definately your bottom 3 and the ones you have to choose from. Since you're picking up a pitcher, you can afford to drop a pitcher and save yourself from throwing the rope over the tree limb by dropping Encarnacion. I'd probably go ahead and drop Chris Young for Gonzalez.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

We think alike, bro. You rock and thanks for the help.

It's done. I just couldn't cut Edwin, especially with having no idea what Rolen is going to do.

Alright, now I feel better.

Thanks to Red Leader, Fantasy Sports Monthly, and playing tons of MLB: The Show, I now have a much better idea who these people are.

I had no idea who Chase Utley was. Never heard of the guy. And you poeple wonder why I never post on the baseball side of the board?

And is it just me, or are the Mets stacked this year?

Thanks to Red Leader, Fantasy Sports Monthly, and playing tons of MLB: The Show, I now have a much better idea who these people are.

I had no idea who Chase Utley was. Never heard of the guy. And you poeple wonder why I never post on the baseball side of the board?

And is it just me, or are the Mets stacked this year?

You should at least read the baseball side of the board. It's simply amazing the amount of knowledge that exists over there. We have guys over there that suggested that the Reds draft Utley, and then after he wasn't drafted, they have the foresight to insist that the Reds should give up a player like Bobby Basham during his dominant year for him. That's mainly how I know about those players long before they make it to the Show, from people mentioning them here. I think M2 (maybe it was guernsey ) posted that the Reds should trade for Jonny Gomes in TB about 2 years ago when he was slumping in AA in his first exposure to the league. 2 years later, he's ranked in the top 30 OF's in the major leagues. Simply amazing amount of knowledge over there, and you're only hurting yourself by not reading it.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Gosh- I have three homeruns already today: Dunn, Ortiz, and Wright.

And Perez has 7 strikeouts.

I am in a good mood now.

And Rolen just hit a grand slam. Good day- not for Cincy, though.

I would drop JD Drew before any of the other three.

I would drop JD Drew before any of the other three.
    It's tough to throw away a guy who has a lifetime OPS over 900. If this were a league where we added up the stats at the end of the year, I'd dump him in a heartbeat, but day-to-day, I'll take him. He walks, he hits for power and scores a lot of runs historically. I'm going to give him a shot until he turns abysmal.

Turn Off Ads?