Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 MLB "Turn Back The Clock" Games

Re: 2006 MLB "Turn Back The Clock" Games

My favorite uniform variant was the Mariners' "Turn Ahead the Clock" day outfits back in 1999. Griffey used a shiny silver glove in the field.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Is Marcus Giles standing in a hole? What is he, 5-foot-3?
    That must be one tall ump.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    Love these games....and seeing the old school wacky jerseys.....M&N Did mess up on the Winfield jersey, but 99% of the time there are rock solid on making the throwbacksof exact quality........Have the Reds used any throwbacks in recent years.........they have July 2nd vs Indians as some kind 1869 Red Stockings vintage game, but it says it follows the regualr game.......any idea what that is all about...........
    It may not be M&N that makes the throwback uniforms the players wear, but whoever made the Reds' throwbacks in recent years (Reds have worn both home and road throwbacks in the past three or four years) have done a poor job. As I mentioned in another thread, the white stripe in the collars is supposed to be a thin pinstripe, but now they make them with a too-wide white stripe in the collar. Also, the collars on the 72-92 jerseys were pretty tight, where the remake collars hang way down low. The players' names and numbers were noticeably too small, as well. One last complaint was that they were way too baggy, but that was probably done to please today's players, who would be uncomfortable in the skin-tight uniforms of the doubleknit era.

The biggest mess I've seen with regard to throwback games was two or three years ago, when the Reds advertised and promoted a 1970 Night, then the players took the field in the 1972-87 doubleknit pullover uniforms. As if no one would know the difference? This was the team's fault and not the manufacturer, of course.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the July 2 game.
    Last edited by macro; 04-13-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Go Redlegs!!!!

How bout the White Sox bermuda shorts of the mid 1970s?
    "Its easy to love a winner like LeafGuard." -Marty Brennaman commenting on the Reds pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Alex

How bout the White Sox bermuda shorts of the mid 1970s?
    LA Angels wore them in the early 50's in the PCL

Love "Turn Back The Clock" Games, If I was in Reds FO I would turn back ticket
    and Concession prices too (Yeah I'm fired like right now )
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

I'm in favor of turning the clock back to 1990.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Majestic makes all MLB jerseys and I'd bet they do all the throwbacks in these current games....they took over the contract from Russell, who did most mlb teams pre 2004....M&N just makes replithentics of the old school jerseys and has to get contracts from individual player's.....but they make them to the exact specifications of how said jersey was made in the day.........

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    LA Angels wore them in the early 50's in the PCL

Are those the Angels, or the Hollywood Stars?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Looks like the "Stars" to me, Yachtz'.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Are those the Angels, or the Hollywood Stars?
    Cha... they are the Stars, I saw a picture in PCL book the other day of the Angels in shorts, so I guess both did it.

Yechhhh.

Just a heads-up for you uniform lovers that the game that started this thread, A's vs Giants wearing orange, is tonight!

The Devil Rays will wear their Tampa Tarpons jerseys from the 1970s against the Braves tomorrow night (Saturday).

Enjoy...or throw up, whichever you're inclined to do. Me? I'm looking forward to it.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Just a heads-up for you uniform lovers that the game that started this thread, A's vs Giants wearing orange, is tonight!

The Devil Rays will wear their Tampa Tarpons jerseys from the 1970s against the Braves tomorrow night (Saturday).

Enjoy...or throw up, whichever you're inclined to do. Me? I'm looking forward to it.

The Tampa Tarpons jerseys from the '70's are from the time when Tampa was a Reds farm club. IIRC they look VERY similar in style and color to Reds uniforms of that time.

I would not be suprised if the D-Rays became the Tarpons, but marketing is going to have to combat the public juvenile urge to call them the Tampons.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    To play in those you are required to have a hunting license.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?