Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norm Charlton

Norm Charlton

I have a question regarding Norm Charlton. I had heard some rumors that within the past year to two years that he has attempted a comeback in the majors. Is this true? I find this a little difficult to believe. The last 'true' legit thing I heard he was working on was as a Seattle Mariners broadcaster. This was maybe 3 or so years ago? Just curious if this was true and if anybody knew what he was possibly doing nowadays.

Also, curious about a couple other Reds...Nick Esasky, Kal Daniels, and/or John Franco...anybody know what they are up to nowadays? I haven't heard anything of Franco since he was released by the Astros last season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Norm Charlton

The Reds are about to sign all four of them. And for good measure they are going to offer Jack Armstrong a minor league contract.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

To top it all off, Jeff Shaw is returning to become the team's new closer, so Coffey can pitch in the 3rd, 4th and 5th innings.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    To top it all off, Jeff Shaw is returning to become the team's new closer, so Coffey can pitch in the 3rd, 4th and 5th innings.
    Damn it, I knew that name would come up sooner or later. :thumbdown

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

Just got off the phone talking with Bill DeWitt. Said he is about to buy the club back fron Bob and is looking to sign Marshall Bridges to pitch long relief. He was upset when I told him that Marshall had died. But told him Bill Henry was still throwing in his back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    Just got off the phone talking with Bill DeWitt. Said he is about to buy the club back fron Bob and is looking to sign Marshall Bridges to pitch long relief. He was upset when I told him that Marshall had died. But told him Bill Henry was still throwing in his back yard.

Was that you emailing Marty this weekend?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    I heard a rumor that Christy Mathewson might be available. He is well rested.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Maybe Nuxie could be brought in as a LOOGY
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I was just curious if you all knew what these guys were up to nowadays. I didn't say that I heard that of all of them were making a comeback, and I was real leary of the Charlton thing that I had heard.

I was just trying to get a little help on something I heard that I thought wasn't true and thought here was the best place to ask.....

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60
    I was just curious if you all knew what these guys were up to nowadays. I didn't say that I heard that of all of them were making a comeback, and I was real leary of the Charlton thing that I had heard.

I was just trying to get a little help on something I heard that I thought wasn't true and thought here was the best place to ask.....
    Oh, well I haven't heard anything about that. But I can tell you something that is for real: Glenn Braggs will be back next year breaking bats over his shoulder on the follow through of his swing.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    Was that you emailing Marty this weekend?

About wishing my brother a happy birthday? Yes.

Well, I'm not sure if this is what you were asking or if it was ever answered, but I believe Charlton is with Seattle radio station KJR and does pre and/or post Mariner games show.

I think KJR was named for Junior.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Well, I'm not sure if this is what you were asking or if it was ever answered, but I believe Charlton is with Seattle radio station KJR and does pre and/or post Mariner games show.

I think KJR was named for Junior.
    thank you...yes, it is what I was looking for. I wasn't trying to say he was making a comeback, I was just asking what he is up to nowadays.

Most recent thing I can find:

Mariners | Charlton Retires After Surgery
    Sun, 7 Mar 2004 15:17:27 -0800

The AP reports Seattle Mariners RP Norm Charlton (shoulder) announced his retirement from baseball on Sunday, Mar. 7, on the heels of a two-year comeback effort from shoulder injuries that ended with a recent surgery. The 41-year-old pitcher underwent surgery on Friday, Mar. 5, to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, but doctors said it would never be strong enough for him to be able to pitch again. "I'm pretty tired of going back under the knife," said Charlton. "If they say my shoulder won't be strong enough to stand pitching at the major league level, they probably know best." In all, Charlton pitched in the big leagues for 14 years. Charlton also said he'd like to remain in baseball as a coach.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Last thing I read about John Franco he was being investigated for ties to organized crime. According to the article he repeatedly left tickets to Mets games to reputed mobsters.

Turn Off Ads?