Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 MLB "Turn Back The Clock" Games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2006 MLB "Turn Back The Clock" Games

I know that a few here like to read news related to uniforms and there are some who enjoy seeing old throwback uniforms back out on the field again. So I'll start this thread to post news about "Turn Back The Clock" games as they are announced.

We'll start with A's vs Giants, June 23...

Now, this ought to be pretty!

from sfgiants.com:

"Orange Fridays," in which fans are encouraged to wear orange on Fridays and partake in orange-themed promotions and special events, will return, starting with orange fireworks on Opening Night, April 7, and including the Giants wearing their 1982 orange jerseys as part of '80s Retro Night on June 23.
    This will give you an idea of how the Giants will look:

They'll be playing the A's. If the A's go along with the retro theme, they may go with one of the following, each of which was worn in the early 80s:

Last edited by macro; 04-13-2006 at 01:17 PM.

Re: San Francisco Giants To Sport Orange Jerseys This June

Why did 70's fasions have to come back?
    Go Gators!

Re: San Francisco Giants To Sport Orange Jerseys This June

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Why did 70's fashions have to come back?
    Because the people who didn't have to endure them are running the fashion world now.

Re: 2006 MLB "Turn Back The Clock" Games

Here's another game to look out for if you're a lover of those colorful 70s: Astros at Padres, August 4, 2006. This wasn't exactly the golden age of baseball uniforms, but I grew up in the 70s loving all that colorful stuff. Every kid I knew who collected those plastic souvenir batting helmets had the really colorful ones in their collection, such as the Pirates' yellow, the Astros' orange, the Padres' brown and yellow, the Orioles' black, white, and orange, etc.

I wish some teams would bring back the bright colors, but within the confines of classic baseball uniform styles, much like the Astros, Pirates, and Padres did in the very early 70s, when they still used belts and buttons, and before they went the pullovers and wild designs. The Astros have done this to a great extent with their current sets, but I'd like to see them emphasize the brick red more and the black less. There's way too much emphasis on black in MLB these days.

Anway, here's an approximation of what the Astros and Padres looked like in 1976. I couldn't find a decent picture of an actual 1976 Padres uniform in action. The picture of McCovey is from 1974.

The Braves wore their 1966 uniforms against the Phillies last night. They're not drastically different from what they're wearing forty years later, but notice the stripes on the socks! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    The Braves wore their 1966 uniforms against the Phillies last night. They're not drastically different from what they're wearing forty years later, but notice the stripes on the socks! Awesome!

Put that uni full time with a Navy "A" hat and its a winner everytime.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Is Marcus Giles standing in a hole? What is he, 5-foot-3?

Anytime you need a Mid-70's Padres google "Randy Jones" or "Dave Winfield". The third picture is a "Mitchell & Ness" reproduction of the '76 Padres.

Do not adjust the color of your monitor. Them actually are the real colors.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Anytime you need a Mid-70's Padres google "Randy Jones" or "Dave Winfield". The third picture is a "Mitchell & Ness" reproduction of the '76 Padres.
    I was trying to find a home Padres jersey, since they'll most likely be wearing the home jersey this summer, so that's why I didn't consider the brown road ones. That last picture of the Mitchell and Ness repro is probably just like what they'll wear this summer. Count on Mitchell and Ness to mess up some of the details, of course.
    Last edited by macro; 04-13-2006 at 01:42 PM.

I love 70's uniforms. Much, much better than the black variants of uniforms that started in the 90's and still carry on...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I love 70's uniforms. Much, much better than the black variants of uniforms that started in the 90's and still carry on...
    I agree. I grew up on the 70's & 80's unis. I love them.

Love these games....and seeing the old school wacky jerseys.....M&N Did mess up on the Winfield jersey, but 99% of the time there are rock solid on making the throwbacksof exact quality........Have the Reds used any throwbacks in recent years.........they have July 2nd vs Indians as some kind 1869 Red Stockings vintage game, but it says it follows the regualr game.......any idea what that is all about...........

I have a dream that in 25 years during "Turn back the Clock" games people will be saying, "What's up with their pants being all the way down over their shoes? That's hideous! Thank God they don't do that anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    Love these games....and seeing the old school wacky jerseys.....M&N Did mess up on the Winfield jersey, but 99% of the time there are rock solid on making the throwbacksof exact quality........Have the Reds used any throwbacks in recent years.........they have July 2nd vs Indians as some kind 1869 Red Stockings vintage game, but it says it follows the regualr game.......any idea what that is all about...........
    It may not be M&N that makes the throwback uniforms the players wear, but whoever made the Reds' throwbacks in recent years (Reds have worn both home and road throwbacks in the past three or four years) have done a poor job. As I mentioned in another thread, the white stripe in the collars is supposed to be a thin pinstripe, but now they make them with a too-wide white stripe in the collar. Also, the collars on the 72-92 jerseys were pretty tight, where the remake collars hang way down low. The players' names and numbers were noticeably too small, as well. One last complaint was that they were way too baggy, but that was probably done to please today's players, who would be uncomfortable in the skin-tight uniforms of the doubleknit era.

The biggest mess I've seen with regard to throwback games was two or three years ago, when the Reds advertised and promoted a 1970 Night, then the players took the field in the 1972-87 doubleknit pullover uniforms. As if no one would know the difference? This was the team's fault and not the manufacturer, of course.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the July 2 game.
    Last edited by macro; 04-13-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by indyred

found this on the reds' website...sorry if it has already been posted, but it applies here as well...

All-American Vintage Baseball Weekend
    July 1-2

The Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum celebrates America with a vintage-baseball extravaganza! The original Reds, the 1869 Red Stockings, are the stars during this fun and family-friendly weekend at the Reds Hall of Fame.

Kids will love meeting Red Stockings players and learning to pitch and field the old-fashioned way. They'll check out children's toys from the 19th century, and even try to make a 19th-century baseball. Plus, how about posing for their own 1869 Red Stockings-style baseball card, in a Red Stockings uniform, personalized with their names, positions and other vital statistics? They're free with admission (photos will be offered for two hours before the Reds game on both Saturday and Sunday; limit one per family).

Sunday will give Reds fans a chance to see vintage baseball in action! Stick around after the Reds-Indians game for a three-inning showdown between the Red Stockings and the Cincinnati Buckeyes on the field at Great American Ball Park. How better to celebrate America and its favorite pastime on this Fourth of July weekend? Play ball!

Regular admission prices apply.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...eum/events.jsp

Turn Off Ads?