Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wagner on the block??

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Wagner on the block??

TB,

I'm in Wagner's camp and watching him Saturday with the Twins, he seemed to have good command again and looked really good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I was under the impression that he's had a really good spring. Is that not so?
    He's had good springs the last couple of years too.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Would you guys trade Wagner for Gathright? If that happens, our OF defense gets a lot better with Gathright going to CF, Griffey moving to LF, Kearns staying in RF, and Dunn heading back to 1B. Gathright has CRAZY range, which we need in CF.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Quote Originally Posted by VI_RedsFan
    Would you guys trade Wagner for Gathright? If that happens, our OF defense gets a lot better with Gathright going to CF, Griffey moving to LF, Kearns staying in RF, and Dunn heading back to 1B. Gathright has CRAZY range, which we need in CF.
    If we are willing to move Griffey to LF and Dunn to 1B, why not do it now and put Denorfia in CF?

No way Dunn moves back to first on a regular basis at this point. Barring an injury, I also see Griffey in CF all year. That trade also seems to go against what the Reds real problems are anyway. They need pitching, pitching, and more pitching. Maybe a 1st baseman would be good, but not another outfielder, not at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    No, that is the case. But then bullpenners are really hard to judge in the spring because they are frequently facing the other team's scrubs and minor leaguers.
    I actually agree with you on something TR Afterall, even Josh Hancock had a great spring.

I don't understand why the Reds would want to trade Wagner right now. His value is low. You won't get a lot for him. There will just be a lot of wolves out there looking to get something for nothing.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    I actually agree with you on something TR Afterall, even Josh Hancock had a great spring.
    You better watch that. I might just have to take a trip over the Post-Dispatch board and do some trolling :

Ever since spring training started i've wondered why the reds have pushed someone like rick white ahead of ryan wagner in the pen. I know all about wagner's moaning about his demotion last year but unless the reds can bring in a 93-95 mph closer type for wagner in a deal or a multi player deal involving him and somone else i just can't see pushing him aside because of lack of space. Rick White will never be more than a marginal middle man and cincy has too many of them already on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    You better watch that. I might just have to take a trip over the Post-Dispatch board and do some trolling :
    Go for it... I don't care for that board much anyways. lol

Just stay away from stlouissportsforum.com

Griffey isn't moving from CF. Now you could get Gathright to play LF and lead off ala Carl Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by BenHayes
    Ever since spring training started i've wondered why the reds have pushed someone like rick white ahead of ryan wagner in the pen. I know all about wagner's moaning about his demotion last year but unless the reds can bring in a 93-95 mph closer type for wagner in a deal or a multi player deal involving him and somone else i just can't see pushing him aside because of lack of space. Rick White will never be more than a marginal middle man and cincy has too many of them already on the roster.
    Unfortunately, I think the answer is that Rick White is from the area.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BenHayes
    Options

You put Wagner in the minors and if/when White doesn't perform up to par, you have Wagner ready to go. You count on Wagner from the get go and he underperforms, then you have to go to somebody even LESS proven that he is...

Fact of the matter is that Wagner had an ERA over 6.00 last year. He's got major league stuff but outside of a pretty solid spring, doesn't exactly have some great claim. He's still fairly young. Start him in Louisville as the closer to get him some experience there. Once a spot opens up in the big leagues, you bring him up.

We shouldn't be getting our collective panties in a bunch over this one. This isn't a keeping Johan Santana in the pen so Joe Mays can start type situation.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I think the kids stuff is too good to get rid of him unless of course what you are getting in return has a pretty equal upside or isn't much older and is already developed into an above average pitcher. I would think Atlanta would love to have him but this time hopefully we don't get ripped off, like in years past with them. They need bullpen help and this would be the type of arm they would relish, but they are going to have to come with a good offer but what? Ramirez, or one of those cathers plus Thompson maybe I dunno.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

3 way trade? It was rumored FL was interested in swapping Olsen for Gaithright and TB turned that down...

What if we could send Wagner and parts to TB/FL to land Gaithright which we in turn send to FL for Olsen.

FL seems down on Olsen for some reason... He's a potential ace lefty, he's had a great spring, and they sent him to AAA.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?