Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wagner on the block??

Re: Wagner on the block??

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    FL seems down on Olsen for some reason... He's a potential ace lefty, he's had a great spring, and they sent him to AAA.
    Kind of misleading. He is going to be their 5th starter, but since they aren't going to need a 5th starter (remember I think last year where Claussen didn't pitch for almost a month because he was the 5ht starter) they sent him to AAA to get work until they need a 5th starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Kind of misleading. He is going to be their 5th starter, but since they aren't going to need a 5th starter (remember I think last year where Claussen didn't pitch for almost a month because he was the 5ht starter) they sent him to AAA to get work until they need a 5th starter.
    Okay, in any case it was rumored Tampa already turned down FL's offer of Olsen for Gaithright. Which to me means Olsen is available in the right deal. And this is exactly the kind of pitcher the Reds need to be targeting.

Who does TB have catching? Send them Larue.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

This is exactly what is happening with Reyes and the Cardinals. The Cardinals don't need Reyes in the rotation right now, and sent him to AAA. Now there are reports questioning if he is available for trade since the Cards are "down on him". The Cards aren't down on Reyes, and I'm guessing the same is true for Florida and Olsen.

Okay, in any case it was rumored Tampa already turned down FL's offer of Olsen for Gaithright. Which to me means Olsen is available in the right deal. And this is exactly the kind of pitcher the Reds need to be targeting.

Who does TB have catching? Send them Larue.
    I am thinking they would rather have Olsen then LaRue.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    This is exactly what is happening with Reyes and the Cardinals. The Cardinals don't need Reyes in the rotation right now, and sent him to AAA. Now there are reports questioning if he is available for trade since the Cards are "down on him". The Cards aren't down on Reyes, and I'm guessing the same is true for Florida and Olsen.
    I don't think you are quite right on that one (even though you know more about the Cards than me). Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Cards rotation:

Carpenter
    Mulder
    Marquis
    Suppan
    Ponson

I think the situation in Florida is quite different. Olsen has made the rotation as the 5th starter, but was sent down simply because they dont need the starter because of off days for the first couple weeks. When his turn comes he will be called up.

For the Cards Reyes did not make the rotation and wont be called up pending injuries so I think it's different.

However I agree with the thought that the Cards have not really soured on Reyes like others have suggested. I bet they keep him for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    I don't think you are quite right on that one (even though you know more about the Cards than me). Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Cards rotation:

Carpenter
    Mulder
    Marquis
    Suppan
    Ponson

I think the situation in Florida is quite different. Olsen has made the rotation as the 5th starter, but was sent down simply because they dont need the starter because of off days for the first couple weeks. When his turn comes he will be called up.

For the Cards Reyes did not make the rotation and wont be called up pending injuries so I think it's different.

However I agree with the thought that the Cards have not really soured on Reyes like others have suggested. I bet they keep him for a long time.
    It is different in a way. As I said though, the Cards don't need him in the rotation. The reason why they don't need him is different than Florida's reason, but both pitchers will start the year in AAA. Reyes will be in the Majors this year though. He really hasn't had a lot of innings pitched in the minors, and the Cardinals would rather him get more innings in AAA than put him in the bullpen. Wainwright on the other hand will be in the bullpen for the Cards this year since Ponson is the 5th starter.

I am thinking they would rather have Olsen then LaRue.
    But send them Larue and Wagner?

FL gets Gaithright

Cin gets Olsen?

And isn't Ponson the cards 5th starter?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    It is different in a way. As I said though, the Cards don't need him in the rotation. The reason why they don't need him is different than Florida's reason, but both pitchers will start the year in AAA. Reyes will be in the Majors this year though. He really hasn't had a lot of innings pitched in the minors, and the Cardinals would rather him get more innings in AAA than put him in the bullpen. Wainwright on the other hand will be in the bullpen for the Cards this year since Ponson is the 5th starter.
    It's different in a huge way. Olsen is a part of the rotation while Reyes isn't. The Marlins don't need 5 starters for a little bit and would rather have the extra player for the first while. But Olsen is still part of the rotation and will start the season on April 15th only missing about 2 starts. As it satnds Reyes wont start because Jocketty doesn't think Reyes is currently one of the top 5 starters on the team and likely wont start until an injury strikes.

It's different in a huge way. Olsen is a part of the rotation while Reyes isn't. The Marlins don't need 5 starters for a little bit and would rather have the extra player for the first while. But Olsen is still part of the rotation and will start the season on April 15th only missing about 2 starts. As it satnds Reyes wont start because Jocketty doesn't think Reyes is currently one of the top 5 starters on the team and likely wont start until an injury strikes.
    Yeah it really isn't similar.

Olsen in rotation, Reyes not.

Yeah it really isn't similar.

Olsen in rotation, Reyes not.
    Even so its been reported that FL wanted to move Olsen for Gaithright..

he's not untouchable by any means, and its conceivable the Marlins may prefer some of the younger influx of talent they received via trade than Olsen. Its also conceivable they're not happy with Eric Reed in CF and would part with Olsen to get a cheap, good, young player.

Get creative, get on the phone. Olsen is the type of pitcher this club needs to target.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Ok...you guys are making too much of this. My point isn't who is in the rotation. It is whether the team is "down on a player". That's it.

Even so its been reported that FL wanted to move Olsen for Gaithright..

he's not untouchable by any means, and its conceivable the Marlins may prefer some of the younger influx of talent they received via trade than Olsen. Its also conceivable they're not happy with Eric Reed in CF and would part with Olsen to get a cheap, good, young player.

Get creative, get on the phone. Olsen is the type of pitcher this club needs to target.
    Eric Reed isn't their starting CFer.

That would be Reggie Abercrombie.

Eric Reed isn't their starting CFer.

That would be Reggie Abercrombie.
    I thought it was still up in the air.. either way, I see why they'd love to get a Gaithright.. neither one really inspires confidence as a long term solution IMHO.

Put Larue and Wagner together and you have some fairly good value that should be able to land another good starting pitcher.

Olsen is merely the "type" of pitcher we should try to target - young, hasn't fully reached ceiling, can be a frontline starter, cheap, and controlable.

-Hunter S. Thompson

I thought it was still up in the air.. either way, I see why they'd love to get a Gaithright.. neither one really inspires confidence as a long term solution IMHO.

Put Larue and Wagner together and you have some fairly good value that should be able to land another good starting pitcher.

Olsen is merely the "type" of pitcher we should try to target - young, hasn't fully reached ceiling, can be a frontline starter, cheap, and controlable.
    I'm not sure if I would give up Larue and Wagner for Olsen. Vargas yes.

I'm sure we can be able to get into the FL/TB swap of Gathright and Olsen. We get Olsen, TB gets Wagner, FL gets Gathright. I agree ,cincyinco, that we need to target Olsen. He has top of the rotation potential. We can wait and move LaRue at the deadline for pitching, because we obviously can't do it now.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Turn Off Ads?