Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wagner on the block??

Re: Wagner on the block??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I'm not sure if I would give up Larue and Wagner for Olsen. Vargas yes.
    Olsen projects to be an ace.. Vargas does not. Vargas is a good pitcher, but the Reds need to target someone with an ace ceiling. Its the missing piece to the pitching puzzle.

In any case, Larue is an average catcher and I could live with Valentin, and Wagner is a guy who's struggled at the MLB level. I am in the camp that believes its a lot easier to replace a relief pitcher, and even a catcher where offense is only a marginal piece of the picture... than it is to get a potential frontline starting pitcher.. i'd much rather have the pitcher.
    Last edited by cincyinco; 03-30-2006 at 08:51 PM.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

IMHO, Wagner should be given the chance to show his stuff.

He started out great last year until the shoulder thing. The shoulder thing is now resolved, he's had a good spring, who's to say he won't be lights out again.

At least take a look at the guy against major leaguers, and then make a decision, instead of just assuming he's done.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    IMHO, Wagner should be given the chance to show his stuff.

He started out great last year until the shoulder thing. The shoulder thing is now resolved, he's had a good spring, who's to say he won't be lights out again.

At least take a look at the guy against major leaguers, and then make a decision, instead of just assuming he's done.
    Not assuming he's done by any means, but I think if you have the chance to get a pitcher who can be a potential front liner, you do it. we've been waiting for that chance for how long now?

It doesn't have to be Olsen...

But if Larue and Wagner can fetch another good pitcher to go with Arroyo/Harang/Claussen, I say do it. As a Reds fan, I salivate at the idea of even 4 average to slightly above average starting pitchers... Its been a LONG time.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Old Red Guard Reject

From watching Wagner from his ML debut until last season it appeared that some "pitching guru" from the Reds crappy staff has messed around with the kid and got to to bite on this "pitch to contact" model. His fastball had much more movement and velocity (consistently around 93 mph) when he first came up and his slider was just unbelievable with how much it broke.
    Then, fast forward to last year's model. He appear to try and "aim" his fastball and then his slider had a much smaller break and remained in the strikezone too long. Almost as if he had been told "Son, we want them to hit the ball" instead of letting him do his thing.

Turn Off Ads?