Turn Off Ads?

Thread: About a Burning Fire

About a Burning Fire

First off, I am brand new to this site, so bear with me if I appear to not be in the loop with things handled here. I will work my hardest and give my best effort to put my Reds knowledge out on the table. I am a 21-year old college student from Springfield, Ohio who happens to love the Reds and I listen to every game (and I don't mean that lightly, I really do listen to EVERY game) on 700 WLW including "The Inside Pitch."

Anyway, I know that Spring Training doesn't generally mean too much, in terms of team records and statistics, but I really believe this Reds team is finding ways of putting it together on the field. They have now won four straight and eight of the last nine and all of the games, the Reds scored four of more runs. With Encarnacion beating the heck out of the ball this spring, Buchanan owning every pitcher he faces, and Dunn and Kearns avoiding their usual strikeout ways, I really think we can go .500 this season, especially during the first half of the season where we only have 12 series against truly quality teams (St. Louis, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Cleveland, etc.). Eric Milton looked like a Cy Young winner during his outing last Wednesday against the Twins. Dave Williams has not had a truly bad outing yet, the only one that Aaron Harang had was with the human flu, and Claussen has looked decent. With this is mind and having a veteran bullpen this year, I look for us to do well, definitely better than a third-to-last place in the MLB according to Sports Illustrated. So that's my deal. Look more for my petition for Brian Buchanan to stay in the majors here soon. Kizzle out!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: About a Burning Fire

Welcome to the board my friend. And one heck of a way to kick it off. I liked the stats that you threw out there, and I definitely agree with you. Welcome aboard

Is the post title a Blindside reference? Great band.

Anyway, I believe this year is much like any other in recent history in Reds nation. If things go right, this team could suprise a lot of people. Unfortunately, a lot of things have to fall into place. Spring is a tough time to tell how a team will do, but it has been a very good spring for the Reds. I don't want to, but I have to pull out the ol' cliche, the season is a marathon. I like a lot of what I've seen, but you just can't expect that to continue into the regular season. Once the season starts, everyone starts at 0-0 reguardless of what they did in ST. But the difference this year is that the new ownership seems to be commited to doing whatever it takes to win. Could that give this team a huge boost? We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832
    Eric Milton looked like a Cy Young winner during his outing last Wednesday against the Twins.
    I like your optimism. That said, if Eric Milton ever wins the Cy Young, I will remove my own eyelids with a nail file.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Welcome BoCcc2832 you must go to WU. I am from Springfield as well and although I don't have the time to listen to every game, I do listen and/or watch as much as possible. I like your optimism and do think that the new ownership and their desire to win will help this team eek out a few more wins than what they ought to. However I also think we need to understand that a few someone's are likely to not have the type of year that we expect them to have for many different reasons as is always the case. But I am seeing some interesting things early on this year and I am thinking we might get a few nice surprises also and that might give us the ability to get to the All-Star break with a record over .500. at that point the question will be what can/be able this FO do to keep us in the thick of it at least into September!? That will be the thing to look for. Again welcome and maybe I will catch you around sometime.

My guess for our record this year will be a very optimistic 84-79 good for 3rd place behind St. Louis and Houston.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    if Eric Milton ever wins the Cy Young, I will remove my own eyelids with a nail file.
    Ew. How did you even think of something like that?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Ah, the youth. They are, how should I say...zo young? I just hope your optimism doesn't tank when the rotation does. Nice to have you on board, Kizzle Meister.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I thought about Blindside too when I read this thread title. One of my favorite live bands.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I like your optimism. That said, if Eric Milton ever wins the Cy Young, I will remove my own eyelids with a nail file.
    Careful... they still tell of a RedsZoner who lost his kid betting on baseball.

Turn Off Ads?