Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56

Thread: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Hot Stove Season HotCorner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    2,179

    Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    After reading this story, I remembered having a "discussion" with the principal when I was in junior high about the dress code. We were not allowed to wear shorts because "it was too distracting to other students."

    I countered that it was too distracting not to wear shorts because we got hot and could not concentrate. The school had no AC. Needless to say he told me too "drop it."

    http://www.channelcincinnati.com/new...0/detail.html#



    MARSHALL, Mo. -- An eighth-grader was taken out of class Tuesday because of her hair coloring, KMBC-TV in Kansas City reported.

    An administrator at Bueker Middle School said the girl's red highlights were distracting to other students.

    School officials said there is a rule at Bueker that hairstyles that are distracting to the educational process are not allowed.

    "Doing this is taking away from people's individuality," student Kristen McCorkle said.

    The 14-year-old, who is a straight-A student, said the school's assistant principal told her she had to go to in-school suspension and that she would be there until her hair is fixed.

    "I didn't think that any of this would happen," the eighth-grader said.

    She said she understands that some hairstyles can be distracting, but she doesn't think hers is.

    "Like colors that are totally out of the norm, blue, or green, or purple. But I think red is more normal and I don't think that many people would disagree with me," she said.

    "I don't feel that her hair is out of control," said Tim McCorkle, the girl's father. "It's definitely not outside of the boundaries that we have established here in the home."

    The district's superintendent, Dr. Robert Gordon, said he was alerted to the situation Tuesday afternoon.

    "This, as I understand it, is a matter of interpretation. I believe the assistant principal was doing what he felt was in the best interest of the kids," Gordon said.

    Tim McCorkle, who is the Bates City police chief, said the school's policy needs to be reviewed.

    "As one who has written policies, some need to be updated or sometimes they're just wrong," he said.

    Gordon said he plans to speak with the student's parents about the situation.

    Meanwhile, Kristen said the hair coloring was an accident. She didn't expect the highlights to be so strong and she plans to tone it down as soon as possible.

  2. #2
    Griffey4Prez
    Guest

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Schools are getting ridiculous now....

  3. #3
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,984

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey4Prez
    Schools are getting ridiculous now....
    Public schools, 99 times out of 100, reflect the "values" of the districts they serve. For good or bad.

  4. #4
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,672

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Public schools, 99 times out of 100, reflect the "values" of the districts they serve. For good or bad.
    Yep. There has to be a "balance" somewhere on this issue. And we also have to realize that these are kids (going through adolescence), inwhich some are searching for identity/individuality (and attention).

    This girl's example is pretty tame compared to some that I have seen with the body peircings and especially the full blown Goth look.

    My oldest boy (a junior) goes to JVS (which supports several neighboring school districts). When I look at the way some of these kids are dressed, I just shake my head that their parents let them out of the house looking like that.

    I can remember in my day when schools frowned on Beatle haircuts.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  5. #5
    manic-depressed
    Guest

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Ok, if they did this at my school, 1/10 of people would be at in school suspension for life. Including teachers.

  6. #6
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,793

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Public schools, 99 times out of 100, reflect the "values" of the districts they serve. For good or bad.
    I find that they reflect the "values" of the administration, or at least certain individuals in the administration, more than the district.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  7. #7
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,984

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I find that they reflect the "values" of the administration, or at least certain individuals in the administration, more than the district.
    Eh. Most school boards are voted upon by people within the district. While the cross-section may not be representative, it's pretty much a democratic mechanism.

    Problem with it is that not enough people involve themselves in the process, so it ends up being the busybodies who make the rules.

    But in general liberal districts have liberal administrations, conservative conservative. There's remarkable transparency in most public school districts. Private schools are another matter altogether.

  8. #8
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,568

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Not surprised by this at all.

    Ravenlord and I went to the same school, although I graduated before the principal he had was there. She became assistant principal my senior year, and took over as principal the year after.

    I had been hired my senior year to be an assistant coach for the academic challenge and science olympiad teams the next year. For those who don't know, academic challenge is like HI-Q or Jeopardy.

    I was always a good student, not great, but not horrible either. I used to have unique hairstyles as well, and anyone who met me at the Redszone gathering a few years back when I had the fire engine red haircolor knows this.

    My freshman year of college, I believe my hair was a burgundy shade, perhaps purple...don't really recall. When I arrived for the first day of Academic Challenge tryouts in 1996, the principal stopped me in the hallway before I was able to make it to the practice. She called me into her office and asked me who I was and what I was doing there. After I told her, she told me that my services wouldn't be needed, because I was not a "proper role model" for the students of that school.


    After the Columbine incident, she also targeted Ravenlord as a potential danger for no apparent reason than the fact that he had long hair and liked heavy metal music. She threatened to suspend him from school for this reason alone.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  9. #9
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,673

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Am I missing what the big deal is? her hair looks fine..not like fire engine red
    Go Gators!

  10. #10
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,258

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    On the one hand, I feel it's rather silly to remove a girl from class because of her hair color. On the other hand, if the girl is really intent on expressing her individuality, she should try doing so with her mind and her talents rather than through some hair styling trick that has been popular since the day someone figured out how to dye hair.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  11. #11
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    On the one hand, I feel it's rather silly to remove a girl from class because of her hair color. On the other hand, if the girl is really intent on expressing her individuality, she should try doing so with her mind and her talents rather than through some hair styling trick that has been popular since the day someone figured out how to dye hair.
    Oh Yachtzee... have you been around young people lately? To tell you the truth, a lot of intelligent kids are discriminated against... it happens all the time; they are ridiculed and made fun of.

    It's not like this girl dyed her hair purple with streaks of red and blue, nor does she have multiple piercings or tatoos (at least if she does, they don't show in the picture).

    Kids want to fit in, be part of the crowd, while retaining their individuality. She's a cute girl with some auburn streaks in her hair. Would they have done this if she had brown hair and streaked it blond?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  12. #12
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,258

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Oh Yachtzee... have you been around young people lately? To tell you the truth, a lot of intelligent kids are discriminated against... it happens all the time; they are ridiculed and made fun of.

    It's not like this girl dyed her hair purple with streaks of red and blue, nor does she have multiple piercings or tatoos (at least if she does, they don't show in the picture).

    Kids want to fit in, be part of the crowd, while retaining their individuality. She's a cute girl with some auburn streaks in her hair. Would they have done this if she had brown hair and streaked it blond?
    Kids were the same when I was in high school. If you wanted to be accepted, you had to hide the fact that you were intelligent and could think for yourself. I did it too after a "friend" in the 6th grade told me, after I got an A on an exam, that he would hate to be me because I was "too smart." The next thing you know, you start shooting for A minuses and B pluses just to avoid being "too smart." Then you start making fashion choices you will later regret because you see other kids wearing the same stuff. Yet when your parents object to those choices, you claim that you are just "expressing yourself." Repeat this cycle through grades 6-12 and you have the American Youth Experience.

    I really don't have a problem with her hair and I think it's silly that they pulled her from class for it. But I also think she is misguided in believing that putting a red streak in her hair is somehow a mark of individuality. If anything, it's a symbol of the herd mentality of kids in general. But the school's reasoning is just as lame. Since when is a dye job distracting? And from the picture, the red streak is barely noticeable.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  13. #13
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,027

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    And the whispers in class about her being put in ISS over an auburn steak in her hair are not going to distracting at all..... what a moron.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  14. #14
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,932

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Her hair doesn't not appear "distracting" to me, the red isn't even that noticable.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  15. #15
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Posts
    8,411

    Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

    Who's being distracted the girls or the boys (or both)? She's cute, maybe the boys find the streaked hair more appealing and were distracted...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 21-17
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25