Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Straight-A Student Pulled From Class Over Hair Color

I was more distracted with shorts, mini-skirts, and tank tops than I was with a girls hair color...

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's pretty laughable how uptight some people can be about the way kids dress or style themselves. And I agree with what everyone said about teenagers always being distracted. My friend just found some old letters from when she was twelve and couldn't believe that she and her friends could have thought so much about so many boys. In fact they don't even have to be present in the classroom, I'm sure I spent many school hours daydreaming about Keanu Reeves(lame, I know, but I was only 14) while I should have been thinking about algebra.

Also, about the mattress tags: http://www.harpercollins.com/global_...60740922&tc=cx

But maybe you were kidding.
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin411
    Also, about the mattress tags: http://www.harpercollins.com/global_...60740922&tc=cx

Also http://ask.yahoo.com/20040726.html

And never kid about a topic as serious as mattress tags. I accidently tore one off when I was a kid and lived in mortal fear that the Mattress Tag Police were going to come get me. They were in cahoots with the Library Police.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I wasn't kidding and it's good to know that that stupid myth book got something right.

That thing made an idiot of me (not that I needed any help) in high school one day. Someone was talking about seeing lightning come down from the sky and I told them- based on my book- that lightning only strikes from the ground up. A few science books later and I now realize lightning can strike from the ground up, the sky down, and cloud to cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Also http://ask.yahoo.com/20040726.html

And never kid about a topic as serious as mattress tags. I accidently tore one off when I was a kid and lived in mortal fear that the Mattress Tag Police were going to come get me. They were in cahoots with the Library Police.

And the phone cops

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I was more distracted with shorts, mini-skirts, and tank tops than I was with a girls hair color...
    Let's face it. When it comes to girls, boys can be distracted by just about anything. If you've ever gone to a Catholic school, you know that even plaid uniforms and saddle shoes can be highly distracting.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Here I am hoping my kids make it through adolescence and the early 20s without a teenage pregnancy, or being hooked on drugs, or alcoholic, not commit suicide or be killed by a stray bullet, finding an interest and going for it, and following Jesus Christ (maybe put that first), and these "educators" are worried about a few streaks, or nose rings, or tatoos, or whatever the latest fad is.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    After the Columbine incident, she also targeted Ravenlord as a potential danger for no apparent reason than the fact that he had long hair and liked heavy metal music. She threatened to suspend him from school for this reason alone.
    i had almost forgotten about that. though i was in Jr. High when Columbine happened, i did get to have some fun on the first year memorial of it.

i was called into the principal's office and told i was going to be put on a 'watch list.' apperently middle class kids with long hair and listen to metal are considered at risk despite good grades, baseball, and Science Olympiad.

as part of the memorial, the school was going to hold a tribute/memorial/fund raising thingy for Columbine. they were holding it in the auditorium..it was going to be held after classes ended that day. i'm walking on my to go to the Jr. High to work on a couple of my Olympiad events, and from where i started in the building, i had to pass by the auditorium main doors. i'm not even looking into the auditorium, but as i passed it, one of the vice principals popped out, stopped me, and told me that it would be entirely inappropriate for one such as i to attend something like that. i told him i had no intentions of doing so and that i was on my way to the junior high for Olympiad. i walk away from him to hear him call me an 'evil callous bastard.' needless to say that didn't end well.

i'll continue with the end of that story once the lightning passes.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    i told him i had no intentions of doing so and that i was on my way to the junior high for Olympiad. i walk away from him to hear him call me an 'evil callous bastard.' needless to say that didn't end well.
    once he said that, it started a wave of profranities from me. it lasted about 5 minutes. by the end i had a crowd around me. it was probably good for him i hadn't had improv training yet. i don't remember what exactly i had said, but the administration pretty much left me alone for the rest of my freshman year after that.

sophmore year, and the incorporation of 'the safe school hotline,' is entirely another story.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Word on the street is that Jill Carroll's captors released her due to the streak in HER hair.

My hair has been streaked for the last several years!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

manic-depressed

Ok, if they did this at my school, 1/10 of people would be at in school suspension for life. Including teachers.

Holy thread bump, Batman!
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Holy thread bump, Batman!
    Heh, no kidding.

I thought this was a current event until I noticed the posts all had "2006" by them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    After the Columbine incident, she also targeted Ravenlord as a potential danger for no apparent reason than the fact that he had long hair and liked heavy metal music. She threatened to suspend him from school for this reason alone.
    First off cases like this is why I am not teaching right now. I would get black listed for pointing out the stupidity. And the hair actually looks good I think. Its not "outrageous".

2nd a Columbine story.

A few friends of mine always wore long black trench coats when it got cold, not a problem. Well after Columbine we had an unseasonably cold couple days which they wore them like everyone else had some sort of jacket. I must have been stopped by at least a dozen classmates, 6 teachers, 2 administration members, and the vice principal freaking out for the simple fact they wore trench coats. Called them morons for even making that distinction and left it at that.

Administrators don't use common sense they go to kill a fly with a nuclear warhead regardless of the case. Give me 25 minutes in a school and they will have to shut down because I will have emptied the building of everything because of the 0 tolerance for weapons policy many schools adhere to (suspending kids for bringing butter knives to school to cut their sandwhichs for example).
    Last edited by Slyder; 03-08-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?