Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brian Buchanan = Major Leagues

Brian Buchanan = Major Leagues

Brian Buchanan must be a major leaguer starting April 3, 2006 with our beloved Cincinnati Reds. In the next couple of minutes, I will try to convince why. All of these stats are through Thursday, March 30. Starting off...

During the spring, Buchanan has had 42 at bats so far this spring, appearing in 22 games. Only three Reds have appeared in more games (Freel 23, Kearns 23, and Abad 26). In 42 at bats, Buchanan has a .524 average, with 22 hits (second only to Encarnacion). He has 13 RBI's, second on the team only to again super-hot Encarnacion (20). If you remember, that's the main reason people wanted Casey off the team last year. He didn't hit enough people in to score. Buchanan is doing that. He has a .800 slugging percentage and a .524 OBP. Buchanan has 10 doubles, the most on the team and is tied for best in strikeouts (3) (eliminating non-roster players and pitchers) with Griffey Jr. and Menechino.

Let me recap this. He is in the tops in all of the major categories except home runs and you want to tell me that he does not deserve to be with the Reds on Opening Day? That's ridiculous. This would be his sixth major league season (after taking off 2005) if he is put on. I don't know if it's just me, but he has extremely impressed me during the spring. I vote Brian Buchanan into Cincinnati to proudly wear the red, black, and white. What about you?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brian Buchanan = Major Leagues

Welcome to the board BoC. I agree that Buchanan should be coming north with the squad. He hasn't taken a walk yet, which is somewhat odd -- but if I was hitting the ball as well as him, I wouldn't be taking many pitches either. He can play RF/LF and 1B and has to be a better option than Jacob Cruz.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I agree. I think Cruz has worn out his welcome here. I can't count the number of times this spring he's been up with runners on base and RISP, and his failed miserably. What Buchanan doing reminds me of what Stratton did last year in a way, before he got hurt. Buchanan isn't putting up as much power, but he's having a ridiculous spring, and should be on the roster

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Be afraid of spring statistics...
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Look at the career numbers and I'll take Buchanan over Cruz/McCracken as well. The only argument I see for any backup OF over him is McCracken's defensive ability/flexibility -- which I admittedly don't know much about.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Ugghhh, I wouldn't argue if it came down to him and Cruz and he got the nod w/ his versatility and the fact he swings it from the right side over Cruz. But remember what Estallela, Bobby did last spring and I don't recall him playing in the bigs at all last year! It seems he is doing all he can.

Making the most: Veteran outfielder Brian Buchanan spent all winter looking for a team to join. Shortly after Krivsky was hired, Buchanan made a phone call since he knew the new GM from his days with the Twins.

"I saw he got the job and I got his number from my agent," Buchanan said. "I called over and asked, 'Do you guys need any help?'"

Signed to a Minor League deal, Buchanan was not invited to big league camp. But he's made the most of every chance he's been summoned as an extra player in spring games.

"They said they'd bring me to as many games as they could out of [the Minor League] mini-camp. I've pretty much came to all of them," Buchanan said.

After Thursday's 3-for-4, four-RBI day in a 6-2 win over Pittsburgh, the 32-year-old was batting .552 (16-for-28) with one homer and 11 RBIs in 17 games. That would be good enough for second among big leaguers with at least 20 spring at-bats.

"I told him the other day he set an all-time record this spring for the most hits without being invited to Spring Training," Krivsky joked.

After playing for Minnesota from 2000-02, Buchanan has bounced to several organizations, including the Padres, Mets, Rockies and back to the Twins' Triple-A club. He hopes his performances for the Reds this spring can lead to something down the road.

"When you have the game almost taken away from you, and you're trying to get a job, you try to make the most of your opportunities," said Buchanan, a .258 career hitter in 346 Major League games.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-30-2006 at 06:53 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

He's had a terrific spring, but let's not get carried away. Any fringe big-leaguer can have a smoking bat over 40-50 plate appearances, especially against Grapefruit League pitching. He's 32 years old; what he would give the Reds in the regular season is going to look like what he's done for the rest of his career, not what he's done for the last month.

Having said that, based on his career stats, he wouldn't be the most useless fifth outfielder there ever was. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get that spot, although it's more probable they keep McCracken since he offers more of a glove.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Be afraid of spring statistics...
    Agree to be afraid, but you just can't take Cruz at this point over this young man. I hope he makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1
    Agree to be afraid, but you just can't take Cruz at this point over this young man. I hope he makes it.
    Brian Buchanan is only six months younger than Jacob Cruz.

I could see both of them possibly making the team. I have heard that Quinton McCracken is injured--if it is serious enough, he might open the season on the DL, thus making the decision easier to keep both Cruz and Buchanan.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 03-30-2006 at 10:42 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Yeah, we're not talking about some kid who's never had a shot. I don't have a major problem with him on the roster, but I won't be heartbroken if he is sent to Louisville, either. He's a spare bat. That's all. My personal preference of the bunch is McCracken, but I could be convinced otherwise. None of the ones being mentioned are anything special, and none are outright disasters.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1
    Why not? We know Cruz can hit major league pitching coming off the bench. We don't know if Buchanan can even hit major league pitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

How old is BB? If he's still young and can get better then leave him down in AAA. I don't see him keeping the hot bat in the MLB since he'll be getting 3 atbats tops per week. But if he's a vet whos at his ceiling I like BB over Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Why not? We know Cruz can hit major league pitching coming off the bench. We don't know if Buchanan can even hit major league pitching.
    Jacob Cruz, 33 (career) .241/.331/.377 - 729 at bats
    Brian Buchanan, 32 (career) .258/.328.439 - 767 at bats

I've watched both guys and while neither is a plus defender, Buchanan moves a little better. He also has more power. People keep bringing up what a great job Cruz did as a pinch hitter last year. He hit .236 for the season -- that's bad. Just because he got more opportunities than anybody else in baseball does not make him a good pinch hitter. He also struck out 46 times in 146 AB -- that's basically the same rate as Wily Mo. I suppose the 25th man doesn't exactly derserve this much attention; It's pretty irrelevant. I'm just sayin' that Buchanan is probably the better of the two and has been insanely hot this spring.

Two words....

Chris Denorfia.

Turn Off Ads?