Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bengals Deal for Sam Adams 'imminent'

Re: Bengals Deal for Sam Adams 'imminent'

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    i live in buffalo, i deal with bll's fans al the time. the dud is over rated
    Not real sure fans are the best source to be basing talent evaluations on.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Not real sure fans are the best source to be basing talent evaluations on.
    why do we write here then? I guess my opinions wont count because they are catually based on seing him play most of the games and in person and being surrounded by team coverage here.

look, im all in favor of the move. Not being a bengals fan, it just means they wasted some money that my team didn't.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    wrong. Adams only played about half the downs in Buffalo, during which teams could never run inside effectively. Ask any Bills fan, he was hands down their best defensive player the last two years, even after he landed in Mularkey's doghouse in the second half of last year. And his weight is no different than it was the last ten years where he's made more pro bowls than anyone on the current Bengals roster.
    In 2005, teams shredded the Bills on the ground. Inside, outside, wherever. Didn't matter. Adams was all but invisible while Bills opponents put up 137.8 Yards per game on the ground, tied for last in the NFL in rushing TD allowed, and 2nd to last in 20+ yard carries.

So what happened?

Well, Pat Williams left the Bills for the Vikings. The Vikings rushing D goes from 4.6 yards per carry on the ground in 2004 to 4.0 YPC in 2005. The Bills rush D goes in the tank and Adams (who had to be benched in 2004 to motivate him) gets into a spat with his coach over not dressing for a game during a season in which his performance declined significantly.

Maybe Marv can motivate the guy, but time has taken it's toll on Adams. Although risky, it's not a bad signing as long as folks don't expect too much of the guy.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

why do we write here then? I guess my opinions wont count because they are catually based on seing him play most of the games and in person and being surrounded by team coverage here.

look, im all in favor of the move. Not being a bengals fan, it just means they wasted some money that my team didn't.
    You claimed authority on living in Buffalo and dealing with Bills fans to support an opinion that a player was overrated. To make that claim, you would have to provide more reasons than that. Either that, or my Aunt Shirley that lives in Blue Ash qualifies to say Bronson Arroyo is overrated because she lives there and is surrounded by Reds' fans.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    You claimed authority on living in Buffalo and dealing with Bills fans to support an opinion that a player was overrated. To make that claim, you would have to provide more reasons than that. Either that, or my Aunt Shirley that lives in Blue Ash qualifies to say Bronson Arroyo is overrated because she lives there and is surrounded by Reds' fans.
    I claimed no authority...i was responded to someone who said "ask any bills fan."

thats all. But have a nice day too.

University of Cincinnati

While i believe it does help this team and our poor rush defense, i think hes overrated as well, hes 32 yrs old and not getting any younger. Based off the 2005 bills stats that Steel has provided, apparently he didnt do much.....
    THE University of Cincinnati

I claimed no authority...i was responded to someone who said "ask any bills fan."

thats all. But have a nice day too.
    You're right, you were. I see that you have taken my reply as snippy, but it was not my intent. I simply wanted to know why you stated the opinion you did, which those two reasons really are not analytical. Sorry for offending you.

My bad...just having a bad day TR - son is home sick from school. My apologies

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    In 2005, teams shredded the Bills on the ground. Inside, outside, wherever. Didn't matter. Adams was all but invisible while Bills opponents put up 137.8 Yards per game on the ground, tied for last in the NFL in rushing TD allowed, and 2nd to last in 20+ yard carries.

So what happened?

Well, Pat Williams left the Bills for the Vikings. The Vikings rushing D goes from 4.6 yards per carry on the ground in 2004 to 4.0 YPC in 2005. The Bills rush D goes in the tank and Adams (who had to be benched in 2004 to motivate him) gets into a spat with his coach over not dressing for a game during a season in which his performance declined significantly.

Maybe Marv can motivate the guy, but time has taken it's toll on Adams. Although risky, it's not a bad signing as long as folks don't expect too much of the guy.
    Incorrect Steel. Adams was benched because he had a "questionable" injury that wasn't released to the public. Instead of risking tweaking it in practice, he preferred to sit out certain drills, which caught the ire of Mularkey. Adams was not benched due to performance. He was not invisible while on the field, he was just double teamed. However because of the rash of injuries to the rest of Buffalo's D (See Takeo Spikes) the remaining players were unable to take advantage of the freed up blocking that Adams presence allowed. With guys like Thurman, Simmons, Pollack, et al, I think this year will be different.
    Go BLUE!!!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The thought of a Bengals DT getting double teamed which allows Justin Smith and David Pollack to pressure the QB gives me goosebumps!

My bad...just having a bad day TR - son is home sick from school. My apologies
    Hey, you have no need to apologize, I can see how you felt I was being snippy, but thanks anyway, sorry to hear about your son and I hope he feels better soon.

I'll just say this...as a life-long Bengals fan...I'm thrilled with the signing.

Who Dey!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    I'll just say this...as a life-long Bengals fan...I'm thrilled with the signing.

Who Dey!
    Same here.

This does more for our defense as a whole. He may not shut down the run, but he will free up others to put pressure on the quarterback. This signing benefits David Pollack, Justin Smith, and our linebackers more than anybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Not good. I smell a Warren Sapp.

Deal for Adams turns sour

By GEOFF HOBSON
    March 31, 2006
    Posted: 8:45 p.m.

The Bengals have been told that Pro Bowl defensive tackle Sam Adams won't sign with any team immediately as he waits for better numbers and that he'll take a few days or so to re-check the landscape.

In an effort to add one of the NFL's premier run stoppers to their 28th-ranked defense, the Bengals had hoped to sign Adams today.

But as the Bengals tried to hammer out a deal Friday, apparently the Dolphins re-surfaced in the hunt for the Pro Bowl defensive tackle. Adams had shown interest, in the Dolphins, prior to talks with the Bengals.

President Mike Brown and Adams' agent, Angelo Wright, had been talking since Thursday when Wright reportedly told Brown that Adams' planned to go back to Miami, for the weekend, and discuss possible a deal with them.

"I give the Dolphins credit, they're working this hard to make sure they're ready to go when the bell chimes," Wright, told the Bengals. 'We'll wait a day or two to see how things shake out."

Mike Brown stated he'd spent an intense day Friday with Wright over the phone. Brown said the main stumbling block is structure of the deal, with items such as signing bonus at issue.

"We're going to try to keep at it," Brown said. "We'd like to get him here. We think he's a fine player. We just couldn't agree on structure and total dollars. It's difficult for small market teams to compete and we have to be finacially responsible."
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I also thing Adams is over-rated and his better days are far behind him. But I think it would be a decent signing and would be an improvement for the Bengals D. But if he's asking for premium dollars, I hope they're willing to walk away.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?