Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds to carry 4 catchers?

Reds to carry 4 catchers?

Ross, Sardinha, LaRue and Valentin. This per Narron in today's Enquirer. I think thats a bit much. I love all our catchers but 4 is to many IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds to carry 4 catchers?

Here's a link to the page of notes that has it on it:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...603310348/1071

I don't know about this. I think obviously only 3 of these guys are going to be on the roster with the other maybe just traveling in case of LaRue's injury. I cannot see any way to justify carrying 4 catchers on the active roster with the way our roster is set up. That would be foolish to waste a roster spot on Sardinha or Ross when a player such as Buchanon or even McCracken could contribute more day in and day out.

Jerry Narron's certifiably nuts if he thinks he needs 4 catchers.

Just drag him out in the white coat already.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I think Sardinha goes north in case of an injury. Probably Larue to DL, Val and Ross make the team, Sardinha goes north just in case.

LaRue on the DL and the 3rd catcher takes place of the 12th pitcher until he's needed. Once LaRue is back, somebody gets cut or traded.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

They're just waiting for the trade they're working on to get wrapped up. The writing is all over the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    Ross, Sardinha, LaRue and Valentin. This per Narron in today's Enquirer. I think thats a bit much. I love all our catchers but 4 is to many IMO.
    What Narron is saying is that traveling north with the club will be these four catchers. They haven't made the 25 man roster. I've been reading this "bringing them north" thing for a few weeks and I've understood that they will have more than 25 people come north this weekend and they will pare the roster back by the Sunday deadline, either by cuts or trades. This way all players who will make the 25 man roster will be with the club (except for a couple of pitchers who are staying behind to get some extra work in before their upcoming regular season starts).

We are not carrying 4 catchers on the major league roster.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    They're just waiting for the trade they're working on to get wrapped up. The writing is all over the wall.
    Yes, I agree. This is about as obvious as it can get.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

No way. 2 and DL for Larue

For once I agree with the trade enuendo's, carrying 4 catchers is preposterous. There simply has to be something in the works and it might actually happen after opening day. Perhaps even up to 2 weeks or so in to see if Larue is fine. I happen to think Larue might get dealt, lord knows Krivsky will deal a catcher in a heartbeat! But I have to wonder what kind of value we are looking at if he hasn't been dealt in all this time (all these years I mean). It could be the cost certainty thing, they know what they are getting and how much he will cost for the next couple of years. Alright start up the L.A. and Colorado trade winds I think the Shealy deal is a no brainer. How about Larue and Wagner to the Rockies for Todd Helton (Ok wishful thinking) let's try Larue, Lizard & Wagner for Shealy, Fuentes & Ray King. Note: These are not neccessarily the guys I want to trade but just some guys who would make some sense to deal for various reasons.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Carrying 3 catchers is also pretty bad, especially with a 12 man staff.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Carrying 3 catchers is also pretty bad, especially with a 12 man staff.
    Denorfia cut for the likes of David Ross, Dane Sardinha, & Tony Womack. What a great manager the Reds have.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Why do I want to break into the Beatle's song "Carry That Weight"?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'm still hoping the enquirer meant to run this story today

No way do we carry 4 catchers. But, I wouldn't be surprised if we bring 3.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Turn Off Ads?