Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Years - predictions

Big Years - predictions

OK, who do you predict to have a HUGE year - and the Pujols, Guerrero's and Sheffield's don't count, we know those guys will put up numbers.

Here is who I think will have monster years:

Griffey - always depends on health, but I think he plays 140+ games and hits over .300 with somewhere between 46 and 52 homeruns.

Beltre - looked awesome in WBC. Said he changed his stride to more like 2004, so I think he puts up numbers close to his 2004 season.

Bobby Crosby - takes a big step forward this season. Puts up numbers similar to Tejada.

Beltran - goes 30/30 and bats over .295.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Big Years - predictions

I think Joe Mauer will have a real breakout season thanks to Justin Morneau finding his swing and Jason Kubel added to the lineup.

I'm thinking .320/.420/.500 with about 18-20 HR and a truck full of doubles.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

David Wright and Javier Vazquez. I'm too lazy to come up with imaginary numbers.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Beltre - looked awesome in WBC. Said he changed his stride to more like 2004, so I think he puts up numbers close to his 2004 season.
    Stride had little to do with hi 2004 success. That boy was juicing big time.

I think the following guys have breakout years off the top of my head:

Adam Dunn- 50 HR, .270, 110 RBI

Mike Gonzalez- Next great closer in baseball, 40+ saves and under 3.00 ERA

Aramis Ramirez- Puts up Pujols like numbers and he, not Derek Lee gets MVP consideration and MVP numbers.

Grady Sizemore- 30/30 season, .300+ average, pushes indians into playoffs

Hafner- 40 homerun guaruntee

Ryan Howard- 30-40 HR and 100+ RBI

Chase Utley - .290/30 hrs/105 RBI

Jake Peavey - 22-4 2.20 ERA

Nomar Garciaparra .280/31 hrs/98 RBI [comeback player of the year]

Austin Kearns [my Reds pick to click] .315/28 hrs/107 RBI

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Hmmm....

Big years? Kearns? No, that's ears.

Erik Bedard takes a huge step forward and owns the league. I could see numbers close to Zito's Cy Young year, with less wins.

I agree on Beltran having a big year. I think Scott Rolen will be your NL Comeback player of the year, not Garciaparra, although I think Garciaparra puts up 21/105 numbers, which may surprise some. I could see Kelvim Escobar having a huge contract year, and I could see Oliver Perez bouncing back, although not all the way to 2.98 with 230+ K's. I could see David Bush in Milwaukee winning 14-15 games. I think Vernon Wells has a big year similar to a couple years ago when he had Delgado. Matt Holliday should surprise many if he can just be average on the road. I think Melvin Mora will have a pretty good contract year, too, similar to where he was the year before last, but I think Ryan Howard has the biggest year of them all and makes a run toward the MVP only to fall short because his team isn't in contention. I'm guessing: 43 HR, 138 RBI, 98 R, .297 AVG. Big Papi numbers.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Interesting thing I came across this year while doing research for fantasy:

1B Ryan Howard, 25:
    312 AB, .288/.356/.567, 22 HR, 63 RBI, 33 BB, 100 SO

OF Johnny Gomes, 24:
    348 AB, .282/.372/.534, 21 HR, 54, 39 BB, 113 SO, 9 SB (5 CS)

One of these guys gets touted as the next great slugger. One of them barely gets a mention, anywhere, for any reason. I'm not saying that Gomes will hit 40 homers, but seriously, where's the love for what he did last season?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Garret Atkins, Colorado.

And on the Kearns bit. I love AK, and I wish him the best career possible. I have GIVEN up on the superstar status/ breakout year. I think he's his own worst enemy at this point. I don't think we'll ever see the dominating player of early 2002, when he was hitting like manny ramirez before King sat on him, again.

I don't follow the Eggs as much as I should, but is Gomes guaranteed playing time all year? I think it'd be hard to sit him, but with Crawford, Baldelli permanant starters, and Gathrait and Delmon Young pushing, not to mention if Huff doesn't work out at 3B and has to go back to the OF, could Gomes sit if he struggles for any period of time, or will they just rotate the OF's and put Gomes at DH?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Franceour:

.300+, 30 HR, 100 RBI, 10 SB

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I don't follow the Eggs as much as I should, but is Gomes guaranteed playing time all year? I think it'd be hard to sit him, but with Crawford, Baldelli permanant starters, and Gathrait and Delmon Young pushing, not to mention if Huff doesn't work out at 3B and has to go back to the OF, could Gomes sit if he struggles for any period of time, or will they just rotate the OF's and put Gomes at DH?
    I don't know if he's guarenteed playing time. That said, I believe Gathright will only start in CF if Baldelli is out. Gomes should start in RF. If Baldelli plays, Gathright would go to RF I imagine and Gomes would DH. Either way, Huff has to work out at 3rd or be traded. And when Young is ready to come up this summer, Gathright will be the one to be dealt in all likelihood.

What do you guys think of Garrett Atkins, 3B, Colorado

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Berkman
    Cano
    Blalock
    Holliday
    Webb
    Lackey
    M. Gonzalez
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Berkman wins the MVP (yeah, big limb, there)

Bucholz--ROY

I like the David Wright pick
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I forgot about Cano. I think he has a pretty big year as well, and I think Blalock rebounds from the disappointment of last year and hits 35 HR and 100 RBI for sure.

Atkins? He's not a real power guy, but he will hit for a good average, and depending on where he is in the lineup, could approach 100 RBI.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?