Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cable Tv rates keep going up

Cable Tv rates keep going up

I can't believe that I am now paying $55 a month just so I can see 24, Lost and sports. That's just basic cable, not the snazzy digital variety.

Ridiculous...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cable Tv rates keep going up

My DirecTV bill just got upped by 3$ a month last month as well, so I think we are paying 44$ a month now for TV when all I watch are the Reds, the Simpsons, a little Comedy Central, and Toon Networks Adult Swim. Well intermixed with the occasional movie or haunted show.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Try DISH - I have the rabbit ears for Back-up.

after I pay for MLB extra innings and average it out over 12 months - I pay about $52/month for the Top 120 & Music. I do not have any movie channels.

I've had Dish for 3 years. I have had ONE price increase in 3 years.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

DTV is actually still cheaper then dish, they keep it pretty close being the only sat guys in the business.

Cable just plain sucks.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    DTV is actually still cheaper then dish, they keep it pretty close being the only sat guys in the business.

Cable just plain sucks.

I was ready to go to DTV thius spring, until Dish rolled out their Hi Def package- currently it is the best out there, although DTV will probably roll out something comparable, too.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by savafan

I can't believe that I am now paying $55 a month just so I can see 24, Lost and sports. That's just basic cable, not the snazzy digital variety.

Ridiculous...
    Aren't those all on network TV?

You could try going without them...I know it's tough, but liveable. You'd be surprised how well you can do it when forced to. My NETWORK tv doesn't even work, as I broke my antenna during the Bengals-Steelers playoff game and now it only even remotely comes in on about 2 channels if someone holds onto the antenna with a frying pan in the other hand. anyway...point being...if those three things are why you have cable, why not just ditch it?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    anyway...point being...if those three things are why you have cable, why not just ditch it?
    Obviously you don't watch 24 or Lost.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

*cough*download em*cough*
    Go Gators!

My cable bill is a joke too, but Time Warner has a catch. If you don't have their cable service they won't sell you Roadrunner.

I'd like Dish Network, but then I'd have to downgrade my internet service.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    My cable bill is a joke too, but Time Warner has a catch. If you don't have their cable service they won't sell you Roadrunner.

I'd like Dish Network, but then I'd have to downgrade my internet service.
    Really? I was able to get rid of my Time Warner Cable TV and not lose Road Runner service. I got angry with them when they raised my rates over $20 in six months and said I would get a break only if I signed up for their VoIP phone service. I said no thanks, kept the Road Runner and dumped the cable tv for Direct TV.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Obviously you don't watch 24 or Lost.
    Ahhh...I mis-stated my point. Which is, aren't those shows on network tv, and so why do you need cable?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Really? I was able to get rid of my Time Warner Cable TV and not lose Road Runner service. I got angry with them when they raised my rates over $20 in six months and said I would get a break only if I signed up for their VoIP phone service. I said no thanks, kept the Road Runner and dumped the cable tv for Direct TV.
    Last time I called that was the policy, no cable = no RoadRunner. Perhaps they changed it? Hmmmmmmm, now I'm gonna have to call again.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Last time I called that was the policy, no cable = no RoadRunner. Perhaps they changed it? Hmmmmmmm, now I'm gonna have to call again.
    Or maybe they changed the policy after I got out. If they told me that, I would probably have said, "So you want to lose me as both a Cable TV and Cable Internet customer? DSL here I come! (Even if I didn't intend to get DSL)." I've had someone tell me that Time Warner told them that if they weren't a cable subscriber they couldn't get cable Internet because they couldn't block the TV signal without blocking the Internet traffic as well. That's a bunch of bull. I'm doing fine without the TV subscription. Up here, I could buy everthing as a package, or get each service "a la carte." For me, the threat was that I would no longer save $10 a month on Road Runner. I said it didn't matter if it saved me $30 a month on TV.

I know Direct TV also offers Internet service, but I gather that it's still pretty expensive. Good luck
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?