Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The all-time greatest sports rivalries

Hybrid View

The all-time greatest sports rivalries

I was reading an article on Askmen.com where they listed their top 10 sports rivalries of all time. Weak list. Very weak.

Here is their top 10 (beginning with #10--followed by my take on each):

10. Red Wings/Avalanche...I agree that it's become a good rivalry but hardly worthy of the top ten, IMO. Not enough tradition.

9. Bears/Packers. That one would have never even crossed my mind if I was making my own top 10 list.

8. Knicks/Heat. Huh? I know they've gone at each other but is it one of sports' greatest rivalries? Hardly.

7. Canadiens/Maple Leafs. I'm not enough of a hockey fan to weigh in on this one. I have no reason to poo-poo this choice, though. I can see how it would be a very intense rivalry.

6. Steelers/Cowboys. Yes...I guess. But for history and tradition...I'd put the Steelers/Browns ahead of this one.

5. Yankees/Red Sox. I'll agree. It's a good one.

4. Redskins/Cowboys. How many intense rivalries can one team (the Cowboys) have? Yes, it's a good rivalry...but there are many others that are way bigger, IMO.

3. Lakers/Celtics. Good one. Not near what it used to be (back in the day). Bird and Magic brought that one to a whole new level. But now...it sure ain't what it used to be.

2. Florida Gators/FSU Seminoles (football). The second greatest rivalry in all of sports? Are you kidding me? It's a good one, to be sure. But #2 on the list? Uh....no.

1. Duke/North Carolina (basketball). Hard to argue. Definately goes in the top 10. Not sure it's number one but it may be close.

To me, a rivalry must include intense hatred on each side. I don't see that in all the choices above.

Here are some that I think are obviously missing:

Dodgers/Giants.

Alabama/Auburn (football)

and the biggest, most intense of all time, IMO, Ohio State/Michigan.

here's
    the link to the article.

Your thoughts?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Re: The all-time greatest sports rivalries

Army Navy anyone?

Crap list.
    Go Gators!

michigan vs ohio state

cubs/cards?

Yeah, all partisanship aside, it's weird that Ohio State-Michigan isn't on there.

It's also totally North American-centric, which I suppose isn't surprising.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Apparently "all-time" means "as of yesterday"

No Harvard/Yale, Amry/Navy, OSU/Michigan

I think a good judge of the extent of a rivalry is -- are people not a fan of either team, or not hardcore fans of the sport, aware of the rivalry? If not, the rivalry isn't a huge deal.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Yankees/Red Sox is media driven and contrived these days, and they play 19 times a year. It doesn't count. Not top five.

FWIW, here's mine.

10. Yankees/Red Sox
    9. Alabama/Auburn
    8. USA/USSR
    7. Arnold Palmer/Jack Nicklaus
    6. Raiders/Broncos
    5. Notre Dame/USC
    4. Cowboys/Redskins
    3. Army/Navy
    2. DePauw/Wabash (DIII, worth looking up)
    1. Ohio State/Losers up North.

Obviously, I'm biased, but the OSU/Losers game is it. No sponsorships, no stupid nickname, it's simply THE game. Once a year.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Yankees/Red Sox is media driven and contrived these days, and they play 19 times a year. It doesn't count. Not top five.
    I disagree with this. Go to any public place in New York or Boston (or many other places, for that matter), 365 days a year, bring up these teams, and you can be in a fight in five minutes, guaranteed. I don't think it's media-driven at all. It just picks up whenever both teams are good, which has been the case the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I disagree with this. Go to any public place in New York or Boston (or many other places, for that matter), 365 days a year, bring up these teams, and you can be in a fight in five minutes, guaranteed. I don't think it's media-driven at all. It just picks up whenever both teams are good, which has been the case the last few years.
    In the minds of those associated with the rivalry, it's probably huge. But the many, many others couldn't care less. ESPN has driven the rivalry to new "heights" by devoting their air-time to it.

Not to mention players like Johnny Damon switching teams. That doesn't happen in great rivalries.

Plus they play 19 times in the regular season. All other great rivalries are played once or twice, tops. That makes the games that much bigger.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Man Pills

Though I loathe both teams, how on earth can this list not include the Cubs and Cardinals? That is wack.

UK/UL?

Raiders/Chiefs?

In the minds of those associated with the rivalry, it's probably huge. But the many, many others couldn't care less. ESPN has driven the rivalry to new "heights" by devoting their air-time to it.

Not to mention players like Johnny Damon switching teams. That doesn't happen in great rivalries.

Plus they play 19 times in the regular season. All other great rivalries are played once or twice, tops. That makes the games that much bigger.
    In all fairness, don't you have to be "associated" with a rivalry to fully understand its hugeness? I could give a flying fig about most of these, but that doesn't mean they're not big rivalries well-known by people who don't care about them (like me). Even people who don't know about baseball know about the Yankees and the Red Sox.

I see your point about the 19 games, but those games are life-and-death.

There's no question that ESPN et al. have gone way overboard the last few years, as they do with everything. But the roots are quite real and a hundred years old. The media has played up the rivalry for their benefit, but they didn't make it up or even exaggerate it -- they just made it a more proportionate part of the national media (given how much media we have these days).

I am now arguing the sincerity of hatred. perhaps it is time for me to go.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum

I am now arguing the sincerity of hatred.

What else is there?

USC vs Notre Dame? The two most storied programs in the country? It should at least be top three.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Piqua/Troy football. Ohio's oldest rivalry, and none better.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Piqua/Troy football. Ohio's oldest rivalry, and none better.

That means nothing coming from someone who lives in Miamisburg.

Oooh, another great rivalry.

That means nothing coming from someone who lives in Miamisburg.

Oooh, another great rivalry.

Born and raised in Piqua. There is no greater rivalry in Ohio high school sports than Piqua vs. Troy.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?