Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The all-time greatest sports rivalries

Re: The all-time greatest sports rivalries

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I disagree with this. Go to any public place in New York or Boston (or many other places, for that matter), 365 days a year, bring up these teams, and you can be in a fight in five minutes, guaranteed. I don't think it's media-driven at all. It just picks up whenever both teams are good, which has been the case the last few years.
    In the minds of those associated with the rivalry, it's probably huge. But the many, many others couldn't care less. ESPN has driven the rivalry to new "heights" by devoting their air-time to it.

Not to mention players like Johnny Damon switching teams. That doesn't happen in great rivalries.

Plus they play 19 times in the regular season. All other great rivalries are played once or twice, tops. That makes the games that much bigger.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Though I loathe both teams, how on earth can this list not include the Cubs and Cardinals? That is wack.

UK/UL?

Raiders/Chiefs?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

But the many, many others couldn't care less.
    The Yankees were moved to NYC specifically to compete against the Red Sox, the numerous books and years of actually playing games that matter I got to say you're off the spot on that guess.

Who draws best in all the AL west coast stadiums? The Yankees and Red Sox, hands down, they have the most fans and thus more people care.

Shoot even your list has a don't care for me.

Alabama/Auburn is nothing to most of the country, the whole west coast have rivalrys just like that, one could say USC vs UCLA is a bigger deal as is Cal/Stanford Oregon/Oregon State Washington/Washington State and the Arizona schools.

No one cares about the Raiders/Broncos out here on the west coast, but the Raiders fans hate the Niners and receive it back in aces... now that would be a rivarly if they played regularly.
    Last edited by westofyou; 03-31-2006 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    In the minds of those associated with the rivalry, it's probably huge. But the many, many others couldn't care less. ESPN has driven the rivalry to new "heights" by devoting their air-time to it.

Not to mention players like Johnny Damon switching teams. That doesn't happen in great rivalries.

Plus they play 19 times in the regular season. All other great rivalries are played once or twice, tops. That makes the games that much bigger.
    In all fairness, don't you have to be "associated" with a rivalry to fully understand its hugeness? I could give a flying fig about most of these, but that doesn't mean they're not big rivalries well-known by people who don't care about them (like me). Even people who don't know about baseball know about the Yankees and the Red Sox.

I see your point about the 19 games, but those games are life-and-death.

There's no question that ESPN et al. have gone way overboard the last few years, as they do with everything. But the roots are quite real and a hundred years old. The media has played up the rivalry for their benefit, but they didn't make it up or even exaggerate it -- they just made it a more proportionate part of the national media (given how much media we have these days).

I am now arguing the sincerity of hatred. perhaps it is time for me to go.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum

I am now arguing the sincerity of hatred.

What else is there?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

USC vs Notre Dame? The two most storied programs in the country? It should at least be top three.

If any of you guys are ever on jjhuddle, look up the thread about Mechanicsburg VS. West Liberty-Salem. From the stand clearing fight in the 80's to last year when WE (Mechanicsburg) ran through the Tiger head because they wouldn't take it down, and they thought we would go around........ And thats only in football, its so bad that Mechanicsburg and WL-S played on Thursday, and the WL-S coaches didn't have enough respect to shake Mechanicsburg's teams hand. And that teaches the kids class......
    Let's make some noise!

For me, it's still Reds-Dodgers. But MLB has done a wonderful job in destroying most rivalries.

And there still is no fondness between the old AFC Central teams/fans.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    For me, it's still Reds-Dodgers. But MLB has done a wonderful job in destroying most rivalries.

And there still is no fondness between the old AFC Central teams/fans.
    GAC, you're right, dude...when I was growing up in the 70's the Reds/Dodgers was it!

But sadly, there is no longer a Reds/Dodgers rivalry...at all. :thumbdown :thumbdown

In fact...I don't think the Reds have a huge rivalry with any other team right now. Maybe with the Tribe...but that's really only important to the fans that live in Columbus.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    But sadly, there is no longer a Reds/Dodgers rivalry...at all. :thumbdown :thumbdown
    It doesn't mean we still can't hate Dodger blue though.

In fact...I don't think the Reds have a huge rivalry with any other team right now. Maybe with the Tribe...but that's really only important to the fans that live in Columbus.
    Currently, with Red fans, and after attending some of the games - I'd say there is a strong dislike for the Cubs.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Currently, with Red fans, and after attending some of the games - I'd say there is a strong dislike for the Cubs.
    I agree, but I think Cub's fans (and the Cubs organization) couldn't care less about the Reds...hardly a "rivalry."
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Three guesses (and the first two don't count) which Little League team just selected my son to play with them for the next two years...Here's a hint: Garvey, Cey, Lopes, etc...all wore the color.

Because I am an assistant coach on his team, I just recently purchased a (gulp) Dodgers hat. I still can't believe how wrong it feels to wear it.

Dodger fans don't even hate the Giants half as much as the Giants fans hate them. But they'd say that the the Giants were their biggest rivals.

Here's a rivalry that missed everyones list

Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames - Big Rivals in the NHL west, geographically aside each other without any other events to draw away from the back and forth between the two cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Three guesses (and the first two don't count) which Little League team just selected my son to play with them for the next two years...Here's a hint: Garvey, Cey, Lopes, etc...all wore the color.

Because I am an assistant coach on his team, I just recently purchased a (gulp) Dodgers hat. I still can't believe how wrong it feels to wear it.
    Try a Brooklyn hat. It doesn't feel as dirty.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Kansas/Missouri

The two schools have met 115 times in the oldest football rivalry west of the Mississippi. The W/L split is virtually even.

Hoops - The schools have been at each other since 1907. Kansas leads the all-time series, 163-93. Their first game this year was the first since 1991 in which neither team was ranked.

The rivalry is based on real hatred between the states dating back to bloody border skirmishes prior to and during the Civil War, including Quantrill's Raid on Lawrence in 1863.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?