Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A's, Rangers, Cubs make non-exciting three-team trade

Hybrid View

A's, Rangers, Cubs make non-exciting three-team trade

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) The Oakland Athletics acquired right-hander Juan Dominguez from the Texas Rangers on Friday in a three-way trade that also sent utility player Freddie Bynum to the Chicago Cubs.
    The As sent Bynum and left-hander John Rheinecker to Texas for Dominguez. The Rangers then dealt Bynum to the Cubs for lefty John Koronka.
    Dominguez caught the As attention last September when he allowed two runs and eight hits in 7 1-3 innings of a 6-2 victory.
    He pitched a game in September against us last year and was pretty much lights out, Oakland manager Ken Macha said. He has a power arm, a plus fastball and a plus changeup.
    The 25-year-old Dominguez is 5-10 with a 4.60 ERA in 32 career appearances in the majors. He went into camp competing for Texas fifth starter job but struggled and R.A. Dickey earned the spot.
    Dominguez is expected to start the season at Triple-A Sacramento.
    Hes young, he had a good arm, hes 93, 94 (mph) on the fastball and has an outstanding changeup, assistant general manager David Forst said. For the most part, hes around the strike zone and the changeup is his swing and miss pitch.
    Bynum batted .278 with 23 stolen bases last season at Triple-A Sacramento and went 2-for-7 in a brief stint at the end of the season with the As. He then batted .373 with six steals this spring, but was out of options and wasnt going to make Oaklands roster.
    The As are waiting to finalize their roster until they have a better idea about the weather forecast for the opening week. With a chance of rain early next week, the As might be forced to play a day-night doubleheader against the New York Yankees next Tuesday or Wednesday.
    The As season opener is scheduled for Monday against the Yankees, who make only one trip to Oakland all season.
    If we have a doubleheader one of the first two days we may need a 12th pitcher, Forst said.
    Koronka was 1-2 with a 7.47 ERA in four games (three starts) for the Cubs last year, his only season in the big leagues.
    Rheinecker was 4-0 with a 1.77 ERA in Triple-A last year. A torn tendon in his left middle finger ended his season May 13. He has never pitched in the majors.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: A's, Rangers, Cubs make non-exciting three-team trade

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark
    The As sent Bynum and left-hander John Rheinecker to Texas for Dominguez. The Rangers then dealt Bynum to the Cubs for lefty John Koronka.
    Another former Reds farmhand...whenever I see his name I remember how much I hated Phil "Here's my hanging Breaking Ball -- Go at it!" Norton.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

This is not the kind of trade you start a thread about. This is the kind of trade you mock in your signature and hope that no one notices.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

And Koronka has been named the Rangers fifth starter. Go figure.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    And Koronka has been named the Rangers fifth starter. Go figure.
    That won't last very long. Like Ryan Snare, he's no big-league starting pitcher. A LOOGY, maybe, if he can learn the Art of the Frisbee.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Actually, I hear Dominguez has major league talent, but a preschool noggin'.

This might be Billy Beane pulling a "what the hell."
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Turn Off Ads?