Denorfia likely on Opening Day roster
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
SARASOTA, Fla. - It has been widely assumed that the last two position players on the Reds' roster would be chosen from Jacob Cruz, Andy Abad, Frank Menechino and Brian Buchanan.
But don't be surprised if Chris Denorfia, who was optioned out March 23, gets one of the spots.
The Reds added left-hander Jon Coutlangus to the 40-man roster Friday. Cruz, Abad, Buchanan and Menechino are all non-roster players, putting the Reds in a roster crunch.
Denorfia is also the best defensive outfielder and baserunner of the bunch.
With Dewayne Wise (ankle) and Quinton McCracken (foot/ankle) both hurt, bringing up Denorfia until they get healthy makes sense.
Denorfia, 25, was the Reds' minor-league player of the year last year.
He impressed general manager Wayne Krivsky with his hustle and all-round play.
"There's nothing I don't like about him," Krivsky said at the time Denorfia was optioned.
Denorfia was sent to Triple-A Louisville so he could play every day. But with McCracken and Wise out of the picture, he could get playing time as the Reds' fourth outfielder.
Cruz, Menechino, Abad and Buchanan were basically told they'd find out by this morning if they made the club.
"All four guys have done a good job for us," Narron said. "One might make the club; all four might make the club."
The reason for the uncertainty is the Reds are waiting on the health of Jason LaRue. If the Reds decide he's close enough to be active on Opening Day, they might carry three catchers, meaning only one more position player would make it.