Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wagner optioned to Louisville

Wagner optioned to Louisville

Just to let you guys know. Wagner is on his way to the bats to start the season.
    This is not an April fools joke. Also on the way to minor league camp are Cruz, McCraken, and Menechino
    Last edited by Coffeybro; 04-01-2006 at 11:23 AM.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Wagner optioned to Louisville

Very frustrating when you're hanging on to old farts with nothing left. The bright side is that perhaps his stunted growth from being brought up right after being drafted can be recovered. The down side is that the baloney "knows how to play the game" is giving other guys jobs over someone with more talent and capable of outperforming the geriatrics.

I'm not so sure I disagree with this move. I'd like to see Wagner have some success at Louisville before they call him back. He's been pretty bad the last couple of years.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Well, Chris Denorfia. Welcome to Cincinnati to start the year anyway.

So much for Tony Womack getting relased.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'm not so sure I disagree with this move. I'd like to see Wagner have some success at Louisville before they call him back. He's been pretty bad the last couple of years.
    I hear ya somewhat, I guess we'll see him soon enough when one of the old men flame out or someone like Burns doesn't pan out. Burns just looked like a younger version of Weathers when I saw him pitch in ST.

From Marc's blog here is what the opening roster is expected to be now.

Catchers (2) -- Valentin, Ross
    Infielders (6) -- Aurilia, Encarnacion, Freel, Hatteberg, Lopez, Womack
    Outfielders (5) -- Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, Denorfia, Abad
    Pitchers (12) -- Arroyo, Belisle, Burns, Claussen, Coffey, Hammond, Harang, Mercker, Milton, Weathers, White, Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Heath

How many errors and bonehead plays does a veteran who knows how to play the game have to make before you send him packing, because he certainly had his share?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    How many errors and bonehead plays does a veteran who knows how to play the game have to make before you send him packing, because he certainly had his share?
    As long as Tony Womack keeps hiding the pictures he has of Narron.

One good rookie year, and one AB in a World Series, a career doth not make. Overrated.

Speaking of wash-ups - Darrell May's been signed to a minor-league deal. A former Brave farmhand, he had a little success in Kansas City and got hit by a train in San Diego last year. He's a lefty with a large attitude, IIRC. He'll fit nicely next to Womack in the clubhouse. I would imagine that May will be in Louisville to start the year.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

As soon as one of the old farts goes bust, Wagner comes right back up. This will give him a chance to close some games I imagine and get more regular work in.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath

Thet haven't finalized the opening day roster yet. We can still hope.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

A lot of folks are linking Wagner's failure to perform with the Reds with him being rushed to the big leagues, and yet still complain that he now is being sent to the minors for a little "seasoning." The current regime can't undo the harm that may have been done by rushing him, but you can't have it both ways. He sure has been a disappointment at the big league level, and his mechanics are probably, ultimately, going to lead to an early demise. Very "Scott Williamsonesque" but not quite as violent. From where I sit, now is the time to trade the kid, if there is something out there that can benefit the club. I don't see Wagner as a long term big leaguer unless he gets the mechanics straightened out, and he may never be able to do that.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

whoops

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    A lot of folks are linking Wagner's failure to perform with the Reds with him being rushed to the big leagues, and yet still complain that he now is being sent to the minors for a little "seasoning." The current regime can't undo the harm that may have been done by rushing him, but you can't have it both ways. He sure has been a disappointment at the big league level, and his mechanics are probably, ultimately, going to lead to an early demise. Very "Scott Williamsonesque" but not quite as violent. From where I sit, now is the time to trade the kid, if there is something out there that can benefit the club. I don't see Wagner as a long term big leaguer unless he gets the mechanics straightened out, and he may never be able to do that.
    There is the possibility that he was rushed, but that is not necessarily a foregone conclusion. His primary problem has always been consistency, and then he turned out to have a bum wing last year. Also, there have been a lot of funky deliveries that also have not led to an early demise. Pitching is hard on any arm, and while I know there are some deliveries that are sure to lead to an injury, even guys with textbook mechanics can end up with a bum arm. Look at Prior, he has a nice drop and drive delivery and can't stay healthy.

The mixed feelings from me center around knowing that Wagner has shown the ability to get major league hitters out and that he is heading to the minors while a washed up never was in Rick White makes the team because he is a "proven veteran." Of course, what he has proven is that he was in the back of a bad Pittsburgh bullpen last year and he is a veteran, so I guess he does technically fit the bill.

As for trading him, the best he can be at this point is pot sweetener.
    Last edited by traderumor; 04-01-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    From Marc's blog here is what the opening roster is expected to be now:

Catchers (2) -- Valentin, Ross
    Infielders (6) -- Aurilia, Encarnacion, Freel, Hatteberg, Lopez, Womack
    Outfielders (5) -- Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, Denorfia, Abad
    Pitchers (12) -- Arroyo, Belisle, Burns, Claussen, Coffey, Hammond, Harang, Mercker, Milton, Weathers, White, Williams

I wonder where this leaves Brian Buchanon? As of this morning's paper, he made the team. Supposedly they optioned Denorfia to AAA. Why these last minute changes? They knew Wise and McCracken were hurt. If Buchanon can't make the roster with the Spring he had plus the injuries to two outfielders, that doesn't bode well for his future in the major leagues. I hope they didn't burn "an option" on Denorfia over this. My bet is he will spend some time in Louisville this year but this indecision is puzzling.

I'm not a fan of 12 man pitching staffs either especially since our staff is supposed to consist of innings eaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Why these last minute changes?
    because they are still trying to improve. I'm wagering they haven't told Abad he has the team made yet. I think they are still looking to improve and I wouldn't be surprised if they still have a couple of more changes in mind.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?