Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Saturday Transactions

Reds Saturday Transactions

Reds Saturday roster moves from Marc Lancaster's Blog

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Denorfia back up. LaRue to the 15 day DL. Abad apparently makes the squad instead of Buchanan.

They still need to do soemthing with Sardinha

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Saturday Transactions

Wagner also optioned to Louisville

Abad? Andy "freaking" Abad? I could see giving Buchanan a spot, but this...

Of course, our GM came from the organization that just gave it's starting shortstop job to Juan Castro.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Nothing about the Dunn trade?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Does this mean that Abad is the new PH?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Abad? Andy "freaking" Abad? I could see giving Buchanan a spot, but this...

Of course, our GM came from the organization that just gave it's starting shortstop job to Juan Castro.
    I see Abad perhaps being less of a wasted roster space than Womack. Three freaking second baseman, and I don't care how valuable Ryan Freel is that you don't want to play him there every day (deep breaths, deep breaths...)

Saturday, April 1, 2006

Reds close in on Opening Day roster
    Biggest surprise: Abad makes club
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Reds' Opening Day roster was nearly set this morning before their final spring training game.

Chris Denorfia, Andy Abad and Mike Burns are in. Jacob Cruz, Quinton McCracken, Frank Menechino, Brian Buchanan and Ryan Wagner are out.

The move to put Abad on the roster had not been announced, but he called his agent Brian Goldberg to say he made the team.

“Guys are disappointed,” Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. “Everyone shoots for Opening Day. But it’s a long season. If you go down (Triple-A) with the right attitude, you can help yourself.”

The moves:

--Right-hander Wagner was optioned to Triple-A Louisville.

--Outfielder Denorfia was recalled from Triple-A Louisville.

--Infielder Menechino, Quinton McCracken and outfielder/first baseman Cruz were re-assigned to the minor league camp.

--Right-hander Paul Wilson and catcher Jason LaRue were placed on the 15-day disabled list.

--No move had to made with Buchanan because he was never invited to big league camp.

More moves were coming after the game, most likely involving Abad and catcher Dane Sardinha. The club needs to get Abad on the roster. Sardinha is on the Reds' 40-man roster, but the team isn’t going to carry four catchers.

Abad, 33, is the biggest surprise. He had a good spring. But he only has 10 games of major league experience.

He was, however, an accomplished player at the Triple-A level. He hit .293 with 20 home runs and 85 RBI for Triple-A Buffalo last year. In 2003, he hit .304 with 13 home runs and an International League-leading 93 RBI.

Wagner, the 23-year-old right-hander, pointed to the fact the Reds didn’t use training stats to pick the roster. Wagner finished the spring with 12 scoreless innings and he was rarely in trouble in those innings.

But Burns, a 27-year-old right-hander, pitched just as well.

“We had three spots for four guys – (Todd) Coffey, (Matt) Belisle, Burns and Wagner,” Krivsky said. “No one eliminated themselves. Ryan made progress with his sinker. We want him to go Triple-A and continue to work on it.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...10031/-1/CINCI
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Maybe Phillips can switch uniforms after the game and Womack can be sent packing.

For some reason I just don't see Abad being around very long.

BTW, Congrats to Andy Abad. I'm sure it was a tossup between him and Buchanon, I'm imagining he showed some power from the left side to come off the bench gave him the nod. Hopefully he makes the most of what is likely his last chance to make some major league dough.

I noticed Abad walked 11 times in 46 at-bats. That's one stat that wont really change from ST to regular season. If he walk at a respectable pace he probably wont be the worst guy to have around since he will get on base at a respectable rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    I noticed Abad walked 11 times in 46 at-bats. That's one stat that wont really change from ST to regular season. If he walk at a respectable pace he probably wont be the worst guy to have around since he will get on base at a respectable rate.
    walks aren't scrappy

To understand the Abad move, I have to look a move ahead. When Wise and/or McCracken are back to full strength, I expect one of them to be added to the roster. I suspect Krivsky is more comfortable designating Abad for assignment at that time then Buchanon.

I have a lot of respect for a GM that doesn't play favorites. In this case, WK brought in Buchanon in Feb. and he has straight raked, but he still feels Abad is going to be good enough to play. DanO would have kept Buch and said "I told you so" (see machado and ramano). Krivsky knows that there are some holes in his swing that might not be ok for MLB level. I like Krivsky's attitude towards his players. It is like they are his now, none are DanO's, none are just his.

Does Cruz go to Louisville, or was he released?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

--Infielder Menechino, Quinton McCracken and outfielder/first baseman Cruz were re-assigned to the minor league camp.
    It didn't say where.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?