Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just when you think UC basektball can't get any worse

Retired

Just when you think UC basektball can't get any worse

Devon Downey has asked for, and been granted, a release from the UC program.

There goes our starting point guard, star player, and only hope of being competitive next year. There are rumors Cedric McGowan is next and will also ask for a release.

What else can go wrong? UC might be lucky to in 2-3 games next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just when you think UC basektball can't get any worse

I'm not sure that me offering consolation will mean much, but this isn't much different than what happened at Ohio State in transitioning from Randy Ayers to Jim O'Brien, which unfortunately eventually turned into the devil that you have may not be as bad as the devil that replaces him. There were some really lean years from Ayers to O'Brien though, where it was hard to watch them at times. I think one year they won one Big 10 game. Hopefully, your new coach rebuilds the program the right way and UC recovers to hit the top again, as well. This state is plenty big enough to support two bball powerhouses.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I'm not sure that me offering consolation will mean much, but this isn't much different than what happened at Ohio State in transitioning from Randy Ayers to Jim O'Brien, which unfortunately eventually turned into the devil that you have may not be as bad as the devil that replaces him. There were some really lean years from Ayers to O'Brien though, where it was hard to watch them at times. I think one year they won one Big 10 game. Hopefully, your new coach rebuilds the program the right way and UC recovers to hit the top again, as well. This state is plenty big enough to support two bball powerhouses.
    At least you guys didn't have to content with O'Brien going to another team and contending for a national title, which would just pour salt on the wound. Huggins has got 3 of the top 5 players for 2007 lined up at K-State, and another in the top 25. When it's all said and done he might have the best recruiting class ever assembled.

What will we have? Walk ons, 3 wins and Nancy Zimpher. Our future is so bright. To think of what might have been.

Well, you're right there. The NCAA put a big ole letter "A" on O'Brien's chest and I don't think anyone will touch him for quite some time, if ever again for anymore than an assistant's job.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life

shiat

That's all I have to say

This is bad news for UC. And we don't know all the details behind the scenes, but this seems to make his comments from last week a flat out lie and a little irritating.

If Cronin doesn't bring in a top notch recruiting class next year (his first full recruiting season), it could be a long dry spell for the Bearcats.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

There goes our starting point guard, star player, and only hope of being competitive next year. There are rumors Cedric McGowan is next and will also ask for a release.

What else can go wrong? UC might be lucky to in 2-3 games next year.

Im not surprised.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Im not surprised.
    After his little "I'm staying" speech that he gave after the South Carolina game telling everyone he wanted to be a Bearcat, I'm surprised, and bitterly dissappointed.

If he stayed Mick could have plugged holes and put a respectable team on the floor next season, without him UC has no hope. There are no PG's worth having that are still available for next season either. This could set UC's program back another year at least.

Man this sucks.

Porkchop Sandwiches

I can't find this anywhere, and you would figure this to be big news. Link? or Prank?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    I can't find this anywhere, and you would figure this to be big news. Link? or Prank?
    It's being reported by Scout.com, Dave Telup (national recruiting expert) and 700WLW, they ware waiting on official statement from UC.

Porkchop Sandwiches

It's being reported by Scout.com, Dave Telup (national recruiting expert) and 700WLW, they ware waiting on official statement from UC.

Really bad news, if true. It seems odd considering both Mick and Downey's recent statements. Not to mention, if Devan were to stay, he would be THE man in a top program. Where else could he go an be afforded that?

Woe is us.

What more is there to say about the state of the UC basketball program?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Really bad news, if true. It seems odd considering both Mick and Downey's recent statements. Not to mention, if Devan were to stay, he would be THE man in a top program. Where else could he go an be afforded that?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    Rumors are he's headed to the ACC, Wake Forest to be exact. I guess he was expecting Skip to be named coach, like everyone else, and wasn't pleased when it didn't happen.

Retired

This is what came across the wire, for those that care to read it.

Point Guard To Explore Options
    by Dave Telep of Scout.com, April 1, 2006 at 2:33pm ET

According to mulitple sources, Cincinnati freshman point guard Devan Downey has asked for his release from the Bearcats program and has been granted the release.
    Sources at the Final Four indicated that the Bearcats would make every attempt to keep Downey in the fold. Expect programs like Mississippi and Wake Forest to potentially make a run at him.

Bearcat Insider is doing our part to talk with the UC SIDs as we speak. Look for further information of the course of the day.
    I don't put much faith into the "everything they can to keep him in the fold" comment. You don't ask for a release if there is a chance you might return.

Turn Off Ads?