Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Just the Devil Rays being the Devil Rays, Branyan sent to minor league camp

Just the Devil Rays being the Devil Rays, Branyan sent to minor league camp

http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com...171784&id=2723

Devil Rays assigned 3B Russell Branyan and 3B Greg Norton to minor league camp.
    Then why'd they even sign Branyan in the first place? Just to hurt his chances of helping another team this year? Branyan was limited by a back injury this spring, but he hit extremely well when he was in the lineup. He's also a better defender than Aubrey Huff at third base. Branyan could help nearly every team in baseball, the Rays especially. Instead, Tampa Bay will go with a bottom half of the lineup that features little in the way of on-base skills or power.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just the Devil Rays being the Devil Rays, Branyan sent to minor league camp

Maybe it's because of his back? No, they'd put him on the DL.

I like Branyan... seems he's often gotten the short end of the stick.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

While Russ is far from being a great player, I feel that he is underrated. For a guy with a career .807 major league OPS he sure does get undervalued by a lot of teams. He hit .257/.378/.490 last year with Milwaukee and belted 12 homeruns in only 202 atbats. Every team could use a guy like Branyan to come off the bench, and he would be an upgrade at 1B or 3B for some teams(including the Reds at 1B).
    I miss Adam Dunn.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I don't think there will ever be a future in Tampa Bay.

The moves they make are baffling, to say the least. Why BJ Upton, Chad Orvella, and Delmon Young are not on the major league roster when this team needs a major influx of talent to compete is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Much better team with Russ starting for the Reds and Hatteberg pinch hitting.

oh well.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

got alil captain in u?

nah i'd rather have hatteberg than branyan he strikes out to much its' all or nottin with him

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    nah i'd rather have hatteberg than branyan he strikes out to much its' all or nottin with him
    Strikeouts are just another out.

Give me Russ over Hatteberg any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I don't think there will ever be a future in Tampa Bay.
    Hmm..anyone think they are keeping the prospects quiet so they are cheaper for the other teams in a dispersal FA draft?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Strikeouts are just another out.

Give me Russ over Hatteberg any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

uhhh disagree

Ground balls can advance runners to third (and yes i know cause double plays but im being positive.)

Sac flies

case example one: Encarnacion's 3rd K in the 8th. If that had been put anywhere in play except the corners or a infield fly griffey scores. Hell this whole game is an example. If all the cubs struckout, the reds wouldn't have made errors and letting runners on...

Those of you who gush over OPS and ignore things like strike outs are missing the boat. The truth is Branyan could have been signed by any team but the Devil Rays were about the only one who wanted him. The reason being he strikes out too much to warrant regular playing time and he's too inconsistent to be a decent PH. Branyan being sent to the minor league camp is a non story. It happens every year to this guy.

Branyan...Craig Wilson...Choi...Pena....if i was an AL team, there's the basis of my at worst league average offense......*

i know i'd think this sober too
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 04-04-2006 at 10:56 AM.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Relevant to absolutely nothing, I just want to point out that I have a new favorite player. He plays for the Devil Rays and his name is Nick Green. For some reason I really like him. Plus he's terrible, and he warms the bench in Florida as a utility infielder, so I figure it's only a matter of time before he ends up in Cincinnati.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Relevant to absolutely nothing, I just want to point out that I have a new favorite player. He plays for the Devil Rays and his name is Nick Green. For some reason I really like him. Plus he's terrible, and he warms the bench in Florida as a utility infielder, so I figure it's only a matter of time before he ends up in Cincinnati.
    Maybe its the way he walks, the way he talks.

Or, the way the sunlight plays on his hair.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Russ was not 100% physically. He did rake at certain times during the spring. He still has a lot of pop in his bat. You know exactly what you are going to get with Branyan when you bring him to camp.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?