Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Herb Sendek to Arizona State; UNC Wilmington's Brad Brownell to Wright State

Herb Sendek to Arizona State; UNC Wilmington's Brad Brownell to Wright State

Herb Sendek was not appreciated at NC State, so I can certainly understand why he accepted the Sun Devil gig.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5465014

PHOENIX (AP) - As first reported by FOXSPorts.com's Jeff Goodman, North Carolina State basketball coach Herb Sendek has accepted an offer to become the coach at Arizona State, an official with knowledge of the deal confirmed Saturday night.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because there has been no formal announcement.

Arizona State athletic director Lisa Love, who attended the Sun Devils' spring football scrimmage Saturday in Tempe, was unavailable for comment.

Sendek is 258-158 in 13 seasons as a head coach, the last 10 with North Carolina State, where he is 191-132. He spent his first three seasons with Miami of Ohio.

Sendek led the Wolfpack to five straight NCAA tournament appearances - tying a school record set by the late Jim Valvano - and reached the regional semifinals in last season.

He has been named coach of the year in two conferences - the Atlantic Coast Conference two years ago and the Mid-American Conference in 1995, when he coached at Miami of Ohio.

The Sun Devils have been looking for a coach since March 10, when Love announced that Rob Evans would not return next season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5463128

UNC-Wilmington coach Brad Brownell resigned after winning the Colonial Athletic Association tournament this season to take the job at Wright State.

Brownell, 37, led the Seahawks to a 25-8 mark and a loss in the first round of the NCAA tournament to George Washington.

"This has been a very difficult decision for me to make, however, I feel it is in the best interest of my family, my career, and myself to pursue a new opportunity," Brownell said in a statement.

Brownell, an Evansville, Ind., native, took over for Jerry Wainwright four years ago after spending eight years as an assistant at the school. His career record is 83-40 and he has led the Seahawks to a pair of NCAA tournament appearances.

Wright State was 13-15 overall and 8-8 in the Horizon League.
    Is anyone else surprised by this?

No offense Wright State Raider grads/fans, but the Horizon league seems like a step down from the Colonial league.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: Herb Sendek to Arizona State; UNC Wilmington's Brad Brownell to Wright State

Good to see Sendek get on at Arizona St. If Tubby ever leaves, he would have to be one of the top candidates(Pitino assistant).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: Herb Sendek to Arizona State; UNC Wilmington's Brad Brownell to Wright State

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Good to see Sendek get on at Arizona St. If Tubby ever leaves, he would have to be one of the top candidates(Pitino assistant).
    Sendek is the last of Pitino's ex assistants I would would like to see at UK. If you think Tubby's offense is stagnant then you should see Sendek's. They like to pass the ball around the top of the key for 30 seconds and then shoot a three. They will play good defense but very boring, methodical style that is unlikely to ever win a NCAA championship.

Very surprisng move by Brownell. Going to Wright State is a lateral move at best and IMO a step down.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 04-03-2006 at 08:44 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue
    Is anyone else surprised by this?

No offense Wright State Raider grads/fans, but the Horizon league seems like a step down from the Colonial league.
    I am always suprised that Wright State can't draw a BETTER coach than it has. Brownell is the kind of guy I'd expect WSU to be able to draw. These guys that have aspirations of coaching at major university often only get one real shot at the "mid major" level so they must choose carefully. WSU has quite a bit going for it as a stepping stone.

* Wright State has fabulous facilities to aid in recruiting.
    * WSU has a league that is not dominated by a perennial power, and the league has an automatic bid ... i.e. you can get to the big dance on a regular basis.
    * Many of the league tournaments are held AT WSU - home games!
    * WSU used to have quite a fan-base, I'd expect it would fill up again with a 2-3 year streak of winning games.

The whole situation has to be inviting to a guy that wants to use the place as a stepping stone to a spot in a major conference.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I am always suprised that Wright State can't draw a BETTER coach than it has. Brownell is the kind of guy I'd expect WSU to be able to draw. These guys that have aspirations of coaching at major university often only get one real shot at the "mid major" level so they must choose carefully. WSU has quite a bit going for it as a stepping stone.

* Wright State has fabulous facilities to aid in recruiting.
    * WSU has a league that is not dominated by a perennial power, and the league has an automatic bid ... i.e. you can get to the big dance on a regular basis.
    * Many of the league tournaments are held AT WSU - home games!
    * WSU used to have quite a fan-base, I'd expect it would fill up again with a 2-3 year streak of winning games.

The whole situation has to be inviting to a guy that wants to use the place as a stepping stone to a spot in a major conference.

GL
    Dayton is a great basketball town. If WSU starts winning they will draw good crowds at WSU.

I think part of the reason Brownell left is UNCW had a new athletic director and from what I read it said they really didn't get along.

I see just about all of the ACC games and as a Duke fan have watched Sendek's teams for ten years so believe me when I say Kentucky does not want a coach like him. He is a great person but a terrible tactician and a non factor as a motivator. Not to mention his style of play went out in the 1950's. I have never seen a team average at least two shot clock violations a game like his State teams have. His offense has become a running joke among the other ACC fans and media not to mention the coaches to for all I know.

Turn Off Ads?