Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else getting tired of this Bret Farve saga?

Anyone else getting tired of this Bret Farve saga?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/GB/9350172

Packers not pressuring Favre for decision

NFL.com wire reports

(March 31, 2006) -- The Green Bay Packers aren't pressuring Brett Favre to make a retirement decision by the April 1 due date for a $3 million roster bonus. And even if they were, the quarterback doesn't think he owes the team a decision this weekend anyway.

In his most recent comments about his murky football future, Favre made one thing clear: If he does return, he told a newspaper in his native Mississippi there is "no doubt" it will be his last season.

Favre's retirement saga has turned into pro football's version of Groundhog Day, as fans and the media try to predict the future based upon brief public glimpses of the iconic QB during the winter.

The April 1 bonus due date recently has been interpreted as a deadline from the team's management for Favre to make a decision. But Favre doesn't seem inclined to meet it, and the Packers aren't going to hold him to it.

"If I don't tell them by Saturday, what will they do, cut me?" Favre told the Sun Herald in Gulfport, Miss.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson already has moved the roster bonus deadline back to accommodate his star quarterback, and he seems willing to do so again.

"No, it never has been (a deadline)," Thompson told The Associated Press. "It's just another date in the spring."

Thompson, who has remained in contact with Favre during the offseason, said he hasn't heard anything that would indicate a decision is imminent.

"We've talked to Brett and (wife) Deanna, and I've said all along that they'll decide when they decide," Thompson said.

Favre said he wants to play again but will return only if the Packers can assemble a winning team.

"Last season, expectations were high and it was a bad situation," Favre said of the team's 4-12 season, his only losing one in Green Bay. "If we can't compete at a high level, I can walk away and my legacy will speak for itself."

Thompson said Favre's unclear future isn't having a negative effect on the team's preparations for next season. But the sooner Favre decides, the better.

"It's OK now," Thompson said. "I think everybody would like to know. I think Brett would like to know."

The Packers did not pursue experienced quarterbacks such as Aaron Brooks and Brian Griese in free agency, but Thompson said that was not an indication that the Packers are assuming Favre will return.

Aaron Rodgers, the team's first-round draft pick last season, is presumed to be in line to take over the starting role if Favre retires. But Thompson said the team would look to add a more experienced quarterback, possibly through a trade, if Favre does retire.

"Obviously, with Brett not in the equation, we might have to add another type of player," Thompson said.

But Thompson hopes it doesn't come to that.

Favre, who was in Gulfport, Miss., to award grants to help youth football groups rebuild after Hurricane Katrina, said he has been talking to the team for the past month and there are things that both parties have to sort out.

"If they don't come together, I guess I won't play," Favre said. "I don't know if my decision will be made by Saturday (April 1)."

Favre said some days he wants to play and other days he wants to retire. Knowing he can still compete at a high level is making the decision tough, he said.
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Anyone else getting tired of this Bret Farve saga?

Absolutely.

However, I can see where he is coming from. He can still play, but his team never gives him any weapons to use. That cannon for a right arm only goes so far.

I am as tired of Farve as I am of the Clemmons saga, blank or get off the pot.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    I am as tired of Farve as I am of the Clemmons saga, blank or get off the pot.
    Could not have said it any better. You're famous enough, there's no reason to drag this out more just to have your name mentioned.

Anyone who doesn't think these two already know (and probably have known for quite some time) are fooling yourselves. They know, they're just dragging it out and I don't think that's right.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

got alil captain in u?

clemmons and farve do not play this season the packers have done notting in the off season javon walker wants out the astros are gettin older not younger

Go towards the light, Brett...go towards the light.

The Packers should trade Favre to the Ravens or Jets. Let Aaron Rodgers start his career now. Let the young Packers grow as a team, and give Favre his shot at winning one more somewhere else.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Anyone who doesn't think these two already know (and probably have known for quite some time) are fooling yourselves. They know, they're just dragging it out and I don't think that's right.
    Oh come on. You have no way of knowing this!

These types of decisions have to be very difficult for the individuals involved. I know it's difficult for "normal/everyday" people to make the decision; why should it be any different for an athlete?

That said, the first baseball game of the 2006 season is being played tonight... IMHO, Roger Clemmons should have made his decision before the season started, not only for him self, but for his team. They can not move ahead until he ****'s or gets off the pot. IMHO, this is selfish.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

There is more to this than meets the eye. First off, Brett would never play for another team, its the Packers or nobody. Secondly, Brett may have a better idea now, but he was waiting to see what the Packers did as far as player movement. Things could still be done, but i doubt it.

At the very least, Brett has earned the luxury of having time to make this decision. Its not like the Packers have to rush and get a QB if Favre retired. They have their future QB ready to go, and Favre won't wait until its to late for Rodgers to take over. He will give the organization enough time to prepare.

Retiring when you have something left in your tank is not easy for an athelete to do. This is a very tough decision for Brett. If the Packers aren't pushing him, I see no reason for anyone else to.

Did anyone hear Mark Chumura's comments about Brett Favre yesterday? Sounds like Brett won't be invited to any of Chumura's hot tub parties in the future...

I'm not so much sick of Favre and Clemens as I am of the media pounding it down my throat all the time. I could care less if Favre waited until the day before the season started to make a decision, just let Tom Jackson or Chris Berman tell me that Sunday morning. I don't need an update twice a week starting in March.

Big difference between Clemens and Favre, Clemens can still play.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    Big difference between Clemens and Favre, Clemens can still play.
    That is not even close to true. Favre can still play at a high enough level to lead a team to the playoffs and I would say even a Super Bowl, given he has the talent around him. You are basing this on the season he had last year, but last year he had nobody around him to support him. Injuries devestated the team along with the simple fact that the Packers were and are in a rebuilding mode right now. You put Peyton Manning in that situation, and he still couldn't win. The success of a QB is often determined by the talent he has around him.

I already know you are going to come back with how many interceptions he had last year, but you need to think about these facts:

1. A good reciever can prevent interceptions.
    2. A QB has to have time to make a decision. The O-line just wasn't there for him.
    3. Lack of a consistent RB and a poor O-Line forces the QB to make plays. More often than not, when you HAVE to make plays, you make more bad decisions.

Give Favre the team around him, you'll see a great QB again.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Favre needs to make a decision. I'm a fan of his, but he is hurting his stalling like this.

You have to be kidding me. When I say Favre is done I am not basing it on last year alone. More like the last 4 years. Favre should have retired the night he cost his team the season in the playoffs, in Philadelphia. I or anyone else on here could have picked off the gimme he threw to Brian Dawkins.

Throughout his career Favre has always tried to play outside of his skills, sometimes it makes him look great, but more recently, because of his age and declining skills it has made him look terrible. I know he didnt have much help last year, but he has in years past and Brett has always had to be the guy that tried to squeeze the ball in between 3 defenders in the secondary. It is over for Brett and has been for awhile, the longer he plays the more of a joke this will become.

Turn Off Ads?