Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who fills Casey's void?

Who fills Casey's void?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...349/1071/SPT04

BY JOHN FAY / ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds won't be able to fill the Sean Casey personality profile in the clubhouse this year. Casey is a one-of-a-kind person.

"The nicest guy in the world," Ken Griffey Jr. said. Given that Casey was the de facto captain of the Reds last year, his departure signals a leadership void. While no one will step into the Casey role, the players don't see that as a problem.

Keeping things loose

"There are a lot of different kinds of leaders," veteran pitcher Kent Mercker said. "Sean Casey was a guy who got you all fired up. David Weathers and me are guys who try to keep you loose. That's important, too."

Mercker and Weathers keep things loose by making fun of everyone.

"You've got to make fun of people," Mercker said. "You've got to get made fun of. That's part of baseball."

Weathers heard LaRue talking about deer hunting in Texas one day.

"He sets up at the watering hole and waits till the deer come," Weathers said. "That's like hunting for me at the cheeseburger stand. Sooner or later, I'm going to show up."

Keeping everyone in line

Mercker said the best leader he's been around is Terry Pendleton when he was with the Braves.

"We had a lot of young players," Mercker said. "He was like your dad. When he raised his voice, you listened. He was a leader on and off the field. He's the one guy that stands out to me."

Leading by example

Rich Aurilia, one of two position players with more than 10 years in the big leagues, subscribes to the lead-by-example philosophy.

"It's not so much being vocal," he said. "It's the way you carry yourself, the example you set with the rest of the team.

"We've got a good mix of veterans and younger guys. I don't see leadership as a problem here."

Ken Griffey Jr., the senior member of the club in terms of major-league service, is not a vocal leader. But when a guy with 536 home runs shows up to take early batting practice nearly every time it's available, it rubs off on younger players.

"Junior sets a good example with the way he works in BP," hitting coach Chris Chambliss said. "He hits the ball all over. He could pull everything and hit long home runs. But he works on driving the ball to left and center. Adam (Dunn) and (Austin) Kearns have picked up on that."

We didn't just seek out Kent Mercker's opinion on clubhouses by happenstance. Since starting with the Atlanta Braves in 1989, Mercker has pitched for Baltimore (1996), Cleveland (1996), the Reds (1997), St. Louis (1998-99), Boston (1999), Anaheim (2000), Colorado (2002), the Reds again (2003), the Braves again (2003), the Cubs (2004) and, once again, the Reds (2005-06). So you see, he's been in a few clubhouses. Mercker's fellow reliever David Weathers has been around, too: Toronto (1991-92), Florida (1993-96), New York Yankees (1996-97), Cleveland (1997), the Reds (1998), Milwaukee (1998-2001), the Cubs (2001), the New York Mets (2002-04), Houston (2004), Florida (2004) and back to the Reds (2005-06).

In 1991, the Atlanta Braves made history by becoming the first team to reach the World Series just one season after having the game's worst record. It so happens that was the season the Braves added Terry Pendleton as a free agent. To be sure, most credit for the Braves' turnaround rightly goes to the maturation of a starting rotation led by John Smoltz and Tom Glavine. Still, given the command Mercker attributes to Pendleton in the Braves' clubhouse, it's fair to say Pendleton's veteran leadership at least contributed. Pendleton, by the way, has been the Braves' hitting coach since November 2001.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who fills Casey's void?

Hug quota?

Go Gators!

double plays?
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

big mistake trading Casey.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

I'm probably about as big a Sean Casey fan as anyone (just ask MWM, SD, and Raisor ) ..... but I saw the sense in unloading him. If the only void created will be his leadership and "huggy bear" personality, then IMO, this article is a huge insult to Sean Casey. Besides, those things can be easily replaced IMO. Someone will step in.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Since I work on an Air Force base, I have seen people come and go for years and years. And there are always people who leave that you think no one can take their place - be it in personality or skills. But someone always does. And lots of times they are even better than the person who left.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Two sayings come to mind:

Nice guys finish last and nature abhors a vacuum.

A leader will (or already has) emerged and the Reds won't miss the Mayor on the field.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Don't get me wrong... I really liked Sean Casey. But...

This reminds me of an old Ralph Kiner story. Ralph led the National league for 7 straight years in HRs (1950's) despite playing for some really bad Pirates teams. It was usual procedure for most players to sign one year deals back in those days. After his 7th consecutive HR title the Pirates management offered Ralph a paycut from his previous season. Ralph argued that he deserved a raise after winning his 7th consecutive HR ttile in the NL. The Pirates management told Ralph that they could still finish in last place without all his HRs... take it or leave it.

The REDS can still finish 5th with or without Casey's intangibles. Good pitching is worth more than Casey's weight in intangibles.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

I would rather have Casey over Hatteberg.

But not Dunn.
    Go Gators!

He did have 2 gidp today, right where he left off.

got alil captain in u?

i was bout to say he was in mid season form today but AvesIce51 beat me to it i'll take hatteberg over casey anyday

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    He did have 2 gidp today, right where he left off.
    They don't call em Casey's for nothing
    Go Gators!

I say Renee Zelweiger.

If she can "complete" Tom Cruise then she can fill Sean Casey's shoes.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I heard people in the stands calling Hatteberg "Casey Jr." on monday.

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    I heard people in the stands calling Hatteberg "Casey Jr." on monday.
    He's not fit to wear 21..

Not that's he's not a good player..but he's not 21
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?