Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jim Bowden on Cold Pizza

Jim Bowden on Cold Pizza

Although Bowden jumbled his words the whole interview, Bowden gave great props to Cincinnati for their opening day festivities.

"In Cincinnati it is a holiday. You don't go to school, you dont go to work, you watch the game." I'm glad to hear that on national TV because I don't think that outside Ohio people realize that it is such a big deal.

Today is my favorite day of the year, period.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Jim Bowden on Cold Pizza

Jim Bowden makes me want to go scrub myself down with Lava soap.

He's just ickey.

I remember when DanO was hired and everyone was thrilled to finally be rid of that snake-oil salesman. "Anything would be better than JimBo."

That worked out real well.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Johnny,

I'll tell you one thing. If Jim Bowden was still the GM for the Cincinnati Reds, I can guarantee you that the Maddox/Kullman combo wouldn't have got lucky with the Harang/Guillen deal. Furthermore, I doubt the Reds would have pulled in Bronson Arroyo and have any semblence of a non-catastrophic pitching rotation.

I remember when DanO was hired and everyone was thrilled to finally be rid of that snake-oil salesman. "Anything would be better than JimBo."

That worked out real well.
    I didn't say DanO was better, I said Bowden is ickey. I always like the moves he made- I mean, are we ever going to sign another Ron Gant, Kevin Mitchell, or Greg Vaughn?- but as a person, he doesn't do anything for me.

By the way, the hiring of DanO was not the fault of the people who wanted Bowden gone.

Furthermore, I doubt the Reds would have pulled in Bronson Arroyo and have any semblence of a non-catastrophic pitching rotation.
    Bowden never would have traded Pena. I think it was a bad deal because I'm not sure we improved, but I tell ya, the more I look at Pena's numbers, the more I realize he didn't do much other than hit homeruns and make outs. If it takes that many outs to get that number of homers, I think I'll pass. If Pena ever learns to take a walk, he'll be a monster, but until then, he's Pete Incaviglia with a better body.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Dom,

While it may look like a bad deal on the surface, you gotta take into account the lackluster performance of the Reds' staff over the past decade. How much more ineptitude can Reds' fans handle? I don't know how much longer I could stand those high scoring games that the Reds constantly lost. We have enough hitting, but surely the same couldn't be said for our pitching. We needed some change and while this deal may have been a reach, you need to pull the trigger when this kind of opportunity is afforded to a team. Only time will tell the success of this deal but if Arroyo can pick up that K-rate and consistently keep the ball in the park, than I think many Reds fans will eventually become satisfied with this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan2
    Johnny,

I'll tell you one thing. If Jim Bowden was still the GM for the Cincinnati Reds, I can guarantee you that the Maddox/Kullman combo wouldn't have got lucky with the Harang/Guillen deal. Furthermore, I doubt the Reds would have pulled in Bronson Arroyo and have any semblence of a non-catastrophic pitching rotation.
    You do realize that outside of Harang that every good player the Reds have, including the cornerstones of Lopez, Dunn and EdE were all Jimbo acquired?

And do you further realize that Bowden acquired Neagle, Harnisch, Smiley, Schrouk, Dessens, Williamson, Guzman and Graves (who was OK until the implosion) right? So to say that Bowden wouldn't have acquired a pitcher like Harang or Arroyo is disingenious, at best. Jimbo had problems drafting them, but he knew how to acquire them in trades. Colon anyone.

Thats not to say it wasn't time for Bowden to go - it was - but to make him out to be a complete failure is wrong. He overstayed his usefulness, but sometimes staying in one job too long does that. That is Maddan's philosophy on coaching, never stay anywhere more than 10 years.
    Last edited by Puffy; 04-03-2006 at 11:56 AM.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

but if Arroyo can pick up that K-rate and consistently keep the ball in the park, than I think many Reds fans will eventually become satisfied with this deal.
    We'll see- I am truly hoping Arroyo works out. To me, though, Pena has a better upside. Like I said, just a little plate discipline and he's a monster. However, that might be as big of an if than Arroyo increasing his K rate.

You do realize that outside of Harang that every good player the Reds have, including the cornerstones of Lopez, Dunn and EdE were all Jimbo acquired?
    I agree he was good at one time- I don't think anyone would argue with that.

My point was not to defend JimBo as a great (or even good) GM. My point is that we all tend to think any change is a change for the better. "The new guy can't be any worse than the old guy."

Well, not all change is good. Sometimes the new guy is worse.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The MLB has really turned its back on Cincinnati as far a tradition goes IMO. Sometimes I think that MLB would rather Cincinnati didn't have a baseball team so they could say New York, Boston, or Chicago was the birth place of professional baseball. All of the firsts that have happened in Cincinnati are kind of ignored outside of Cincinnati. Its crazy. How many people outside of Cincy know the Red Legs were the first professional team. How many do you think know the first night game was played at Crosley Field. These are HUGE things in Baseball history. I know it was different back in the days of the Big Red Machine, but the way we are treated here in Cincy is dissapointing. I truly believe that Reds fans are the best in baseball. Look how many fans show up even when they are losing. Sure there are not as many sell outs, but they have solid attendence reguardless of their record. Its just frustrating to me.

As far as GMs go, DanO and JimBo were both bad, but in different ways. Give JimBo a ton of money and let him make the trades he wants, he will build you a team to win now, but your future won't look too good. Give DanO ten years and he will build an organization that is solid through and through. Sure, those are exaggerated to prove my point, but I think you need a GM that is a balance of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Jim Bowden makes me want to go scrub myself down with Lava soap.

He's just ickey.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy

And do you further realize that Bowden acquired Neagle, Harnisch, Smiley, Schrouk, Dessens, Williamson, Guzman and Graves (who was OK until the implosion) right? So to say that Bowden wouldn't have acquired a pitcher like Harang or Arroyo is disingenious, at best. Jimbo had problems drafting them, but he knew how to acquire them in trades. Colon anyone.

Thats not to say it wasn't time for Bowden to go - it was - but to make him out to be a complete failure is wrong. He overstayed his usefulness, but sometimes staying in one job too long does that. That is Maddan's philosophy on coaching, never stay anywhere more than 10 years.
    I also remember Roberto Kelly for........Paul O'Neil...not that great of a deal.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    I also remember Roberto Kelly for........Paul O'Neil...not that great of a deal.
    And still far, far away from any subjective "10 worst trades in franchise history" list, not even Bowden's worst, which was the Wells for Goodwin debacle in 95.

Anyway, Kelly was flipped for Deon Sanders, who subsequently was packaged to the Giants--former Red's GM Bob Quinn was Giants' GM at the time--for Mark Portugal and Dave Burba--clearly illustrating Puffy's point about Bowden's ability to acquire pitching.

I'd also like to see a show of hands indicating which Redzoners--at the time--wouldn't have consummated the Dempster deal. Yeah, it didn't work out but it wasn't because Dempster was the wrong target; it was because the Reds never received the real Ryan Dempster.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 04-04-2006 at 04:29 AM.

Knocking Jimbo is like saying a lot of people hated Paul Brown. Look what you got after him.

12 long, long years of embarrassment....and there is NO guarentee that that won't happen with the Reds.

DanO was awful.....and I am NOT impressed with Krivisky so far....not even close.

Deal away WMP so that we can have Dunn falling all over himself in LF and Scott friggin Hatteberg playing 1B? Are you kidding me? And we have to listen to Jerry friggin Narron try to convince us that Hatteberg was a steal and he is a true professional? Come on.....this guy would be selling used cars right now if not for the Reds.....and he is the Opening Day starter? oui.

The severe problem with firing Jimbo was that is was NEVER about improving the front office....is was a purely emotional and political reaction.

It was the same exact mistake made for exactly the same reasons when the Reds fired Pinella and when they fired Davey Johnson....both of whom have yet to be replaced by a guy worthy of carrying either one's jock strap.

So don't be so sure that things HAVE TO get better anytime soon. soP should be enough of an object lesson for Cincinnati sports fans that the grass is NOT always greener.

I still, personally rue the day Jimbo was axed......but those of you who thought he needed to go may take some more time of this embarrassing mess that has been here since before you join me in that posture.

Yes, for all his warts, Bowden figured out a way to bring in talent and at least make the team interesting every year. I agree with red-in-la's statement that we can't assume things will get better. I'm more optimistic about Krivsky, but he's got a huge job ahead of him, because DanO let the team rot for 3 years.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?