Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I give Adam Dunn credit

I give Adam Dunn credit

For anyone that was in the game thread today, you know that I was probably being the hardest of Dunn. He did do some stupid things, but alot of what I said was just anger.

After reading these comments I have to give Dunner credit.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Girffey on the wind

"It was probably the worst the wind has been," center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. said. "You couldn't really read it."
    Cubs Center Fielder Juan Pierre on the wind

I know the crowd was giving Dunn a hard time, but I was in the outfield, and it's not that easy out there," Pierre said. "That wind was bad, and it was pretty tough
    Now read those comments on the wind, then take a look at Dunn's,

"It obviously didn't affect anyone else," he said. "I'm not using it as an excuse."
    He could have said yeah the wind was blowing out there, or even yeah the wind was blowing hard, but I am not going to use it as an excuse (which is basically using it as an excuse); however Dunn did neither. He didn't blame it on the wind. I give him alot of credit.

A mad Adam Dunn

It's one game. If you want to say we'll stink it up because we lost one game, go ahead. This isn't ruining my season. I promise you
    He is right, it was one game. We don't suck that bad if at all, it just was everything went wrong on the same day. Hopefully Arroyo can give us a lift on Wed.

Go Reds!
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I give Adam Dunn credit

Cool
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Nice post. You are getting cred!

I was upset at the time too, but I certainly didn't boo him like much of the crowd. The wind was nasty. I was there. We left as my dad couldn't handle the cold anymore.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

yup, he's Mr. Red and we're the lovable losers

I was sitting right next the the wall down the 3rd base line today...about 30 yards from Adam Dunn. And boy, oh boy...I told him how I felt about his effort today (or lack thereof).

I agree that he deserves credit for being a man and owning up to it...and saying that he's not going to let one game ruin his season. Good for him. But geesh, that one lazy can o corn that he let fall in front of him...come ON! He just didn't seem like he had his head in the game. The ballerina act on the warning track...Matt Murton didn't seem to have a problem out there. And give Juan Pierre some credit for sticking up for Adam, BUT...Pierre made a couple of nifty catches.

Adam...dude...you've GOT to do better than that, my man! I like Dunn...A lot! I just don't think he had his head in the game today. Maybe it was the weather (I froze to death), maybe it was whatever but like Adam himself said: It obviously didn't affect anyone else...

I'm just glad we've got 161 more to go.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Were people booing Dunn? On opening day? Ah, Cincinnati fans. Those were probably the same people who either (a) sold their Bengals playoff ticket to Steelers fans (b) left the game with 10 minutes left when the Bengals were only down 2 scores. Sorry, but after attending that game, I've been anti-Cincinnati sports fans. (Excluding everyone on this board, of course.)

Razz him a little today, fine. It's not my style, but he can't make much of a case to defend himself. I was not pleased with what I saw today, either. But, we all know Adam isn't THAT bad of a fielder. Clean the slate and start all over again Wednesday. The guy is the centerpiece of the team and we don't need mob rules politics from Joe Six Pack in the bleachers all season long. This game was no indication of the talent level of the Reds any way you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala
    Razz him a little today, fine. It's not my style, but he can't make much of a case to defend himself. I was not pleased with what I saw today, either. But, we all know Adam isn't THAT bad of a fielder. Clean the slate and start all over again Wednesday. The guy is the centerpiece of the team and we don't need mob rules politics from Joe Six Pack in the bleachers all season long. This game was no indication of the talent level of the Reds any way you look at it.
    Exactly Santo. What happened today should not rewrite his last five years of defensive history.

A bad Opening Day didn't define Pokey Reese's defensive ability. And he's won two gold gloves.
    Last edited by paintmered; 04-03-2006 at 11:54 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I'd give Dunn more credit if he said something like this:

"I'll never let this kind of day happen to me again. I will work extra hard on my defense in the days to come as I know this is a weakness in my game. I'm going to have Billy Hatcher hit me extra fungoes...etc etc"

I'm not convinced that Adam Dunn has ever taken defense seriously like the great ones, Griffey Jr, Mays, even Eric Davis. My guess is Dunn thinks the best way to handle his bad day defensively is to go fishing and hope he comes back a better defensive player

Adam had a bad game.

There are 161 more games to go. I'm sure Dunn will have far more good games than bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    I'd give Dunn more credit if he said something like this:

"I'll never let this kind of day happen to me again. I will work extra hard on my defense in the days to come as I know this is a weakness in my game. I'm going to have Billy Hatcher hit me extra fungoes...etc etc"

I'm not convinced that Adam Dunn has ever taken defense seriously like the great ones, Griffey Jr, Mays, even Eric Davis. My guess is Dunn thinks the best way to handle his bad day defensively is to go fishing and hope he comes back a better defensive player
    Gawd... why not just move on?

By all means compare him with gold glove CF's, it can only make him look worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    Adam had a bad game.

There are 161 more games to go. I'm sure Dunn will have far more good games than bad ones.
    Defensively, I disagree. He won't have too many days as bad as this one but that just goes to show how horrid this one was. He's not a good outfielder and over 162 games we'll see that once again

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Gawd... why not just move on?

By all means compare him with gold glove CF's, it can only make him look worse.
    I'm comparing his work ethic with the ones who are successful. I think that has a lot to do with why those guys are gold glovers. It is not by chance

I'm comparing his work ethic with the ones who are successful. I think that has a lot to do with why those guys are gold glovers. It is not by chance
    Pat Watkins and Mike Frank sure worked hard and could field well too.

Adam Dunn takes more beatings on RZ than a tetherball in an anger management class.

I'm sure you'd love to hear him tell you how he was going to make up for those errors... and when he's done maybe he'll drop and give you twenty too.

And you know what his work ethic is how?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?