Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds fans=fair weather fans?

Re: Reds fans=fair weather fans?

I noticed that there was alot of empty seats in the outfield upper deck in like the 3rd inning. That was very dissapointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I noticed that there was alot of empty seats in the outfield upper deck in like the 3rd inning. That was very dissapointing.
    True, but the temps were falling all afternoon, and the beer doesn't keep you warm.

I'm guessing it was a tad chilly there up there.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

If the temperature was anything like it was here (I expect it was) I imagine a lot of people left because it was nasty cold, and with the wind, probably miserable at the stadium. The beating we took today didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    It wasn't lackadaisicle. You try to play leftfield in 35 mph swirling wind and then come back and tell me how you like it.
    Yes it was he broke back then jogged in. If he would have been hustling the whole play, he would have caught it without diving. And the wind didn't effect that ball at all, he just got fooled, it wasn't hit high enough or deep enough for the wind to effect it that much. And I'm sorry for Mr. Dunn that not everyday is a perfect day, sometimes mother nature provides some wind gusts. But he is getting paid $10 million a year to play, so he can do a little better than his performance today. I'm not saying Dunn is not a good player, but he is a below average fielder, and he needs to improve. I also understand people have bad games and the conditions were not good today. Like I said earlier, he had a good day hitting, and I hope he improves his defense this year.
    Last edited by tbball10; 04-03-2006 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    No doubt the weather contributed to this, I think this is something the new front office needs to be concerned with. Yes, the front office paid some bills today, but Opening Day is more an event to be seen at rather than an event for the diehard baseball fan. Yet, it is these "fickle" fans that need to be won over to keep them coming back to the ballpark and the Reds did not do that today. We can criticize them as much as we want, but they are the ones who pay the bills and set the payroll. Losing so many so easily is a cause for concern and another hurdle for the new administration to clear.
    I love the casual fan more thn most and I agree they make the difference more than your core fans. I was amused at how few stayed until the bitter end.

And I agree the weather was a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10
    Yes it was he broke back then jogged in. If he would have been hustling the whole play, he would have caught it without diving. And the wind didn't effect that ball at all, he just got fooled, it wasn't hit high enough or deep enough for the wind to effect it that much.

You obviously weren't at the game. That ball hung up in the air for a while and then as it was coming down the wind shifted it to the left of Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Those were not easy plays. I was at the game and saw how hard the wind was blowing. As Matt Murton said, the wind was blowing against his back...making it hard for him to stand still, and at the same time, the wind was blowing out of the park. It was a swirling wind. The first ball in the first inning Dunn should have caught, the second and third were greatly affected by the wind.
    Dunn didn't concentrate on any of those drops. The first one, he flat-out dropped. He could have caught the second one if he had hustled in instead of trotting. The third ball was obviously caught in the wind, but he was still baffled by it, and at that point the fans' patience had worn thin.

And, as noted, the Cubs outfielders played in that same wind and didn't have nearly as many problems.

But really, so what if he gets booed? Being a superstar doesn't give him a free pass for stumbling around in the outfield and costing his team runs.

He played poorly, and he got booed for it. No big deal.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 04-03-2006 at 11:24 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Speaking of weather and balls hit to the outfield, how close was Kearns' hit in the first inning to going out? On tv, it looked like it needed another 2 feet or so.

No, I wasn't at the game, but the bottom line is he SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT! That play SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky bugle boy
    Speaking of weather and balls hit to the outfield, how close was Kearns' hit in the first inning to going out? On tv, it looked like it needed another 2 feet or so.
    It would have banged 3/4 of the way off the wall. However Junior and RA just barely missed grand slams by getting under it a little, both ended up being sac flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

No, I wasn't at the game, but the bottom line is he SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT! That play SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE!
    Hooray!

And the Reds only lose 13-7! Beers all around!
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Hooray!

And the Reds only lose 13-7! Beers all around!
    Well that play and the others that he misplayed added up to more than 3 runs. I don't know how many he cost us, but someone said earlier that it was about 8.

Last I checked, the topic of this thread addresses the fans - not nitpicking Dunn's performance (even though he is a source of the booing). There's other current threads if you want to disscuss Dunn's performance.

Please make my job a little easier and keep threads on topic.
    Last edited by paintmered; 04-03-2006 at 11:20 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

He did look awful bad on tv. Nobody feels worse about it than Adam Dunn, and he'll more than make up for it with the stick throughout the year.

Well that play and the others that he misplayed added up to more than 3 runs. I don't know how many he cost us, but someone said earlier that it was about 8.
    I don't think it was near 8, and it's silly to say that if Dunn makes those plays that the rest of the game plays out exactly the same.

This one (to me) is on Narron and Krivsky, they are the ones who went out of the way to move him back to LF, even if that's what he wanted it was silly if they wanted to make the D better.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?