Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Reds GM has better start than his team

http://www.limaohio.com/story.php?IDnum=24270

Reds GM has better start than his team
    By TOM USHER
    419-993-2089
    04/04/2006
    tusher@limanews.com

CINCINNATI – Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky is doing his part.
    He’s already made a big trade and is constantly looking for ways to make the Reds competitive.
    All this in just two months on the job.
    “I’m happy with some of the moves we’ve been able to make,” Krivsky said before the Reds 16-7 Opening Day loss to the Cubs Monday. “Adding Bronson Arroyo, and prior to that signing Scott Hatteberg, we felt we’ve improved our team overall. If we moved an outfielder, to get a pitcher, we wanted him to step right in. Defensively, with him (Hatteberg) at first and (Adam) Dunn in left, we feel we’re a better team. Adding Bronson Arroyo to the rotation improved us immeasurably and that’s not a knock of Wily Mo Pena (who was traded to the Red Sox for Arroyo). Then, we claimed a few people off waivers….We’ll be all about try to improve every chance we get.
    “We also got (catcher) David Ross, who might be most under stated move we’ve made so far. He wasn’t even a blip on the radar and he’s made a nice impression so far. With Jason LaRue going down, I’d hate to think where we’d be without him.”
    INJURY UPDATE: Arthroscopic knee surgery last week prevented catcher Jason LaRue from making his sixth straight Opening Day start behind the plate. LaRue and right-hander Paul Wilson were both placed on the 15-day disabled list.
    Wilson is coming off major right shoulder surgery.
    “Paul Wilson is doing rehab work in Sarasota,” Reds manager Jerry Narron said. I think he’ll be an opening day starter for extended spring. It’s going to be a day to day thing. Every time he goes out, we’ll evaluate and see where he is….He’s an extremely hard worker and very dedicated and will be back as soon as he possibly can from the surgery.
    “Jason LaRue is coming along real well. There was the possibility of him playing at the end of this week, but I look for him to be ready to go the following week. With Jason, we did not want him to have any setbacks. We wanted him to be ready to go as soon as he was activated.”
    TOM WALKER?: Cubs second baseman Todd Walker on meeting President George W. Bush before he threw out the ceremonial first pitch at Monday’s game, “I said, ‘Hey, how are you doing? My name’s Todd Walker.’ He said, ‘Hi, Tom, how are you?’ I guess I didn’t make too good of an impression.”
    TOUGH FIRST INNING: The Reds gave up five runs in the first inning on Monday. It was the first time they gave up five in the first inning of the opener since 1877. The Reds lost on that day 24-6 to Louisville.
    SEVEN-RUN SIXTH: The Cubs’ seven-run sixth inning was the most runs the Reds have allowed in one inning of an opener since giving up eight to the Giants in the second inning of the 1979 opener.
    16-RUN DAY: The Cubs’ 16 runs were the most the Reds have given up on Opening Day since the opener against Louisville in 1877.
    OPENING DAY: Cincinnati resident and jazz artist Kathy Wade sang the National Anthem.
    GRAND MARSHAL: Reds Hall of Fame right-hander Mario Soto was the grand marshal of the 86th Findlay Market parade.
    PITCHING LINES: Reds starter Aaron Harang gave up nine runs, six earned, in six innings. Chris Hammond faced two batters, didn’t get either out, and gave up two earned runs. In all, Reds’ pitchers gave up 16 runs, 10 earned on Monday.
    BRRRR: The first-pitch temperature on Opening Day Monday was 50. However, a few innings later it was closer to 40, along with being windy and chilly. Cubs manager Dusty Baker said his starter Carlos Zambrano couldn’t feel the ball with his fingers because of the cold.
    COLDEST OPENER: The coldest Reds’ opener was a 35-degree day on April 20, 1901.
    OPENERS: The Reds stand 63-66-1 in home openers.
    MOST WINS: Mario Soto and Will White are tied for the most victories on Opening Day with four.
    MOST STRIKEOUTS: Gary Nolan owns the most strikeouts by a Reds’ pitcher on Opening Day. He struck out 12 in 1969.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds GM has better start than his team

Oh, really?

Who assembled the pen the does not have a single pitcher that can miss bats?

The Reds had three potential relievers that could miss a few bats at the beginning of the spring. Two were released(not sayin he was wrong about Hudson and Simpson but they had something the Reds lack) and one is in AAA. You have to have a least a couple of relievers that have an out pitch. The current Reds pen has none. Why not claim Andrade? Could he be any worse?

We have two lefties in the pen yet neither is a LOOGY. Both Hammonds and Mercker are old and more effective against RH hitters because both have a good change and lack a breaking ball. The only potential LOOGY(Shack) is in AAA.

He had a chance to address the defensive problems when WMP was dealt but chose to punt. The Reds were arguably the worst defensive team in baseball last year and likely to be again this year.

I pointed out all spring that the pen was in trouble and was likely to be bad. It may be an improvement from last year, which was truly awful. However, the Reds bullpen is comprised of a group of middle releivers, with mediocre stuff, no out pitch and little margin for error.

I have no idea why White is on this team and Wagner is not.

Does not Coffey count as a guy that misses bats?

Hudson can miss bats, but he's just as likely to miss strike zones as well isn't he?

We damned Weathers the first month of last year but that one worked out quite well. I think Hammonds will be fine and be a solid if not spectacular pen with Weathers, Mercker, Coffey and Wagner will get his turn up here eventually this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan
    Does not Coffey count as a guy that misses bats?
    You have to kidding unless you consider 26Ks in 58IP missing bats. If that's the case then every relief pitcher is a bat misser. He has a good fastball but his slider is flat and his change lacks deception and movement. I have seen nothing in the spring that suggests the 06 Coffey will be more than just marginally better than the 05 Coffey.

I have to say of all the pitchers sent out yesterday, I am think White stinks. He does not even look like a pitcher and his wind up is like watching a circus clown. Must be a lot better pitcher than Wagner will ever be to find a place in this bullpen.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Hudson and Simpson missed bats alright. They also missed the strike zone, the catcher, and probably the backstop at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    You have to kidding unless you consider 26Ks in 58IP missing bats. If that's the case then every relief pitcher is a bat misser. He has a good fastball but his slider is flat and his change lacks deception and movement.
    is it just me, or last year, did he not throw that nasty splitter as much as he should with it being his out pitch?*
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?