Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Luke Prokopec - Reds scout?

Luke Prokopec - Reds scout?

I bought a Reds program at the game yesterday and as I came across the 2006 player development and scouting directory page, I found an interesting name on it. Luke Prokopec is listed as the Reds Australia scout. I can remember when the Reds signed Luke a few years ago. He became a top prospect after putting together a great minor league career. After being promoted up to the Dodgers, he put together some solid starts before struggling and being traded to the Blue Jays.

After the trade to Toronto, he struggled mightily with the Blue Jays and it was later discovered that he need shoulder surgery. The Jays decided to cut ties with him...and the Reds ended up signing him. He never even threw a pitch with the Reds and ended up having a few more surgeries. I thought he had just retired or signed on with another team. I was surprised to see him listed as the Reds Australian scout, but I like it. I don't ever recall the Reds scouting Australia under Jim Bowden or Dan O'Brien.

The Twins have signed a few players out of Australia the past few years, so hopefully Krivsky can do the same with the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Luke Prokopec - Reds scout?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    I bought a Reds program at the game yesterday and as I came across the 2006 player development and scouting directory page, I found an interesting name on it. Luke Prokopec is listed as the Reds Australia scout. I can remember when the Reds signed Luke a few years ago. He became a top prospect after putting together a great minor league career. After being promoted up to the Dodgers, he put together some solid starts before struggling and being traded to the Blue Jays.

After the trade to Toronto, he struggled mightily with the Blue Jays and it was later discovered that he need shoulder surgery. The Jays decided to cut ties with him...and the Reds ended up signing him. He never even threw a pitch with the Reds and ended up having a few more surgeries. I thought he had just retired or signed on with another team. I was surprised to see him listed as the Reds Australian scout, but I like it. I don't ever recall the Reds scouting Australia under Jim Bowden or Dan O'Brien.

The Twins have signed a few players out of Australia the past few years, so hopefully Krivsky can do the same with the Reds.

Prokopec resigned with L.A. as a free agent and the Reds picked up him, knowing he was injured, as a Rule V player. They could keep him on the roster on the DL in hopes he'd recover. He never did. He again became a free agent and signed with the Reds again. You are correct that he never pitched for the Reds at the big league level (but I'm not sure about the Minors).

Interestingly, I went to ESPN to check on Australian baseball and found "First Aussie-born player to play Major League Baseball: Joe Quinn, born in Sydney, played with the Cincinnati Reds in 1900."

It's an interesting read, include how Vin Scully would call a play in Australia:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldc...ory?id=2291225

An additional aside, I'm glad to see the Reds have a scouting prescence there and to see them increasing their presence in Latin America (where we once were the preeminant organization).

Frankly, I'd like to see watching all over the world, even Europe with their fledgling programs. Certainly in Asia too.

snowy1973

Luke is currently listed as the head coach of the Queensland Academy of Sport Baseball program in Australia and last year was involved in the MLB Academy for top Australian prospects (signed or not)

I would like to find out more about him, as my mom has family on her side with the same last name, curious if any relation.

Turn Off Ads?