Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Homerun/Win Fireworks?

Homerun/Win Fireworks?

I haven't taken the time to read through all the Opening Day material so hopefully this hasn't already been mentioned.

Anyway, I was alittle disappointed that the fireworks weren't sent off after Dunn and Hatteberg's homeruns. Was this because the presidential security having movement sensors outside the ballpark or are they just not doing it this year?

They sent off the pink non-noisemakers through the Power Stacks, but I was just alittle disappointed there were no noise makers.

Anyone know anything about it?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homerun/Win Fireworks?

Would all the wind have something to do with it?

They set off fireworks during 'And the rockets Red glare" in the national anthem. But until you just said that, I hadn't really noticed they didn't during the game.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    They set off fireworks during 'And the rockets Red glare" in the national anthem. But until you just said that, I hadn't really noticed they didn't during the game.
    There weren't any noise-makers though, they were just the pink ones that come out of the Power Stacks. They have always shot off the noise-makers behind the stadium by the river.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I'm sure it had to do with the wind. And like I said in another thread, the wind was blowing exactly the same way throughout the entire game. Perhaps during the National Anthem it wasn't too bad.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

If it didn't have to do with the wind, it had to do with the POTUS. An attempt to harm the president by firing a weapon could easily be masked by the booms of fireworks.

Either way it's a safety concern.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Or possibly it was a courtesy to the nearby snipers.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    Or possibly it was a courtesy to the nearby snipers.
    *dingding*
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Leave it to a Republican President to throw a first pitch and have it tail to the right.....

Probably a security concern, just like how fans were not allowed to bring baseballs into the baseball game.

Seriously, I had a brand new MLB baseball in my bag as I usually do just in case an autograph presents itself and I was told by security that I could not bring it into the game and I had to take it back to my car. I was like "What? Are you serious?" So then they told me yes that I could not bring it in because it was a safety hazard. So then I replied, "How will they be able to play the baseball game without a baseball?" which got me a dirty look so I retreated to take it back to my car.

I guess I can understand the logic but that didn't prevent fans from being able to purchase balls at the gift shop or catch balls during BP. I guess those were screened ahead of time but to not be allowed to bring a baseball into a baseball game is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen - especially when it was not on any of the "cannot bring in lists" published ahead of time (which I double checked).

I understand the heightened need for security as well as anyone else (probably better having worked 3 internships at a US AF base) but I sometimes just think security measures have gone overboard to the point that bad guys point and laugh because we cannot enjoy life as much.

Did they go and confiscate any foul balls that went into the stands?

That's overboard.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Did they go and confiscate any foul balls that went into the stands?

That's overboard.
    No, they let you keep balls during BP. After that whole fiasco, I jokingly asked the usher out in rightfield if I would be allowed to keep a ball if I caught one during BP. He said it was just a security thing about bringing them in. Still ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    No, they let you keep balls during BP. After that whole fiasco, I jokingly asked the usher out in rightfield if I would be allowed to keep a ball if I caught one during BP. He said it was just a security thing about bringing them in. Still ridiculous.
    You'd be suprised at how much damage an explosive filled baseball can do. I'm sure thats exactly what they were worried about. In thier defense, they have to anticipate the most extreme of possibilities. The sad thing is that some people would actually try to fill a baseball with explosives.

Turn Off Ads?