Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: lack of passion

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: lack of passion

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Nah, Michigan is going to be pretty bad for the next two years.
    At least the Jets did you a favor and took Herrman off your hands.

I think they will have one, maybe two losses and be ranked in the top 15, heading into the 'Shoe, next November.

Now, what to do with Carr. I say sign him to a lifetime contract. Unfortunately, I think he's gone (voluntarily) after next season.

Not enough passion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm sure if the Reds called me and asked me to play I'd bring a lot of "passion" to the team.

My talent level is pretty much nil, however, so I would suck, and so would the team if they played me.

"Passion", "scrappiness" and other such immeasureable terms are based entirely on perception, and bear no effect on the outcome of games. I could care less if Dunn gets excited about hitting a home run--only that he does. I coudl care less if Austin Kearns shows passion about playing good defense--only that he does.

But, yes, the past 7 years this team's missing ingredient was *passion*. Dang it, if only we had figured that out before now, Jimmy Haynes, Joey Hamilton, Jimmy Anderson, Paul Wilson, Elmer Dessens and Ramon Ortiz would be running out of storage space for all of their WS rings.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Show me once where I said that talent didn't matter and that passion was the only important thing. I'm not arguing about this anymore because people aren't reading everything that I'm writing, so there's no point.

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832
    But have you ever heard of Steve Prefontaine? gave it HIS ALL EVERY RACE. What happened? He became the best runner in American history, finishing fourth in the 1976 Munich Olympics.
    I may be about to show my complete lack of knowledge about the "sport" and history of running, but you're telling me that the best runner in all of American history only finished fourth in the Olympics? That can't be right, surely there has to have been better runners.

Like I said I don't know anything about running, and could be way off base here, just find that hard to believe.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Boccc2832, Prefontaine may not have had a prototypical runners body, but the guy had a ton of talent. You dont get to the Olympics by not having talent. You cant just decide to go out there and give it all you have and be that good, it doesnt work that way. Guys like Ryan Freel go out there and have to bust their butt every day to be the player they are. Guys like Griffey or Arod were born with more talent in their legs than guys like Freel and no matter what, a guy like that will never be as good as Griffey or Arod. I am not saying Griffey or Arod arent out there giving it all they can, but they were just two or the most talented players that came to mind. Passion only gets you so far before talent overcomes it all.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

oh and gainsville red, I to dont know much about the history of the USA track and feild teams, but I would imagine he is referring to long distance running, as the Americans have had many medals in track events throughout Olympic history.

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832
    Okay, let me ask a question. (By the way, the only reason I haven't replied to your sarcasm of my response is because this website decided that "moron" was inappropriate. Well, I think making fun of Jesus Christ's passion was inappropriate. But hey, I'm not the one who pays to keep this site up, so I'll shut up) I agree that the MLB is more complex than running. But have you ever heard of Steve Prefontaine? He was a guy from Koos Bay, Oregon, someone that no one ever heard of that came out and gave it HIS ALL EVERY RACE. What happened? He became the best runner in American history, finishing fourth in the 1976 Munich Olympics. He was a person who did not have a runner's body, which is tall, lanky, and long legs. Pre did not have any of these. What he had was PASSION. When he had PASSION, he pushed everyone and dared anyone to beat him. He was the gutsiest and biggest loud-mouth (sorry, that was inappropriate language) in the history of running. What does this have with the Reds, since this is a Cincinnati Reds blogsite? If the Reds had as much PASSION as Pre did, their talent would be that much improved, as was Pre's. I am out.
    Sure I've heard of Steve Prefontaine. Great story (he's from Coos Bay, Oregon, BTW). But, alas, it's an example that supports my position rather than yours.

Let's assume that Steve Prefontaine worked as hard as he possibly could have. We'll assume that he ate the perfect diet (doubtful considering that he was reputed to drink a bit- which allegedly led to his death) and worked out every day in order to max out his physical potential.

Steve Prefontaine finished fourth in the 1972 Munich Olympics. Considering that you think Pre' was the epitome of "passion", how do you think those other runners beat him when he led with 600 Meters to go in the 5000M race?

One word: Talent.

Well, either that or Pre' wasn't as passionate as a guy like Lasse Viren or the two other runners who took Prefontaine down with 600 meters to go in a race he led. But then, since it appears you think Steve Prefontaine posthumouly finished fourth in the 1976 Summer Olympics, maybe you don't remember Viren's 1972 performance.

Heck, Americans Frank Shorter (who actually won a race at the 1972 Olympics) and Mary Decker-Slaney were more accomplished runners than was Steve Prefontaine and they have the medals and World Records to show it.

And you're right to ask what distance running has to do with Reds baseball. Your answer is nothing. But it is a good demonstration that trying real hard doesn't make you better than a guy who's going to be better than you no matter how hard you try.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red
    I may be about to show my complete lack of knowledge about the "sport" and history of running, but you're telling me that the best runner in all of American history only finished fourth in the Olympics? That can't be right, surely there has to have been better runners.

Like I said I don't know anything about running, and could be way off base here, just find that hard to believe.
    You find it hard to believe because it's not to be believed. Just about any time you hear anyone mention "the best runner" and "Steve Prefontaine" in the same sentence the former quote is preceeded by the word "arguably". But, unfortunately, the only reason it's at all "arguable" is that Steve Prefontaine died tragically before his time. Sometimes an early demise propels the legend of an athlete at the expense of more accomplished performers. Movies about one's life tend to do that as well.

BTW, Mary Decker-Slaney is the only runner in US history to own EVERY American record at every distance between 800 Meters and 10,000 Meters. The "best ever" argument begins (and quite possibly ends) with her 36 National records, 17 World records (official and unofficial), and medal hardware.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

But have you ever heard of Steve Prefontaine?
    Oregon's biggest sport hero.

Hollywood movie.

Never heard of him.

Turn Off Ads?