Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: lack of passion

Re: lack of passion

Very true... Perhaps I should have looked at the date on the stats before shooting off at the mouth. My mistake. I would love to be in the Red Sox position, but we're not. But you know what else that 2004 Red Sox team had? The most passion that I've ever seen in a team. Coming back from a 3-0 deficit vs. the Yankees of all teams shows how much heart that team had. So what that team lacked in fundamentals, it made up for in passion, which goes back to my beginning argument yet again...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hey MWM, out of curiousity, ever been to an OSU-Michigan game? I go to Ohio State and was at the game my soph. year, and will be again this year. Talk about the most incredible atmosphere anywhere.

Also, in reference to the 2004 stats, those were great team stats you pulled up, I give you credit, but I'd be interested to see what the 2004 NL stats were like. Fact of the matter is, they're very different leagues, and I bet the numbers would be at least somewhat different

which goes back to my beginning argument yet again...
    Ouroboros

The beauty of a 162 game season is that almost always the team with the most talent wins. Passion wasn't the difference between the Sox and their opponents that year. They played against the Angels in the first round of the playoffs and the Cards in the World Series. they were just a better team. They didn't win because they had more passion. The Cards won 105 games that year. I don't see how that happens if they lack passion. And did the Red Sox just forget about their passion in the first three games and 8 innings of the ALCS? Passion isn't a difference maker at the major league level. Talent is.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    Hey MWM, out of curiousity, ever been to an OSU-Michigan game? I go to Ohio State and was at the game my soph. year, and will be again this year. Talk about the most incredible atmosphere anywhere.
    Was there this year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit because Mariano wasn't Mariano initially and the Yankees' lack of pitching talent and depth hurt them.

That's the same reason the Yankees haven't been World Champions over the last several years.

The White Sox won last year because of PITCHING. The Astros lost the World Series because they had no hitting. The Reds have the hitting, but not the pitching. Combine last year's Astros pitching with the Reds' offense and you have an extremely good team.

I don't think passion is an issue with the team. They score Runs. Some individuals seem to misinterpret the team's strikeouts and not advancing runners as a lack of passion, when it is just how the team's players operate. They hit HR and HR teams often "look" ugly, even when they are effective.

The defense isn't great, but it won't matter until they can get some pitchers who can pitch. The defense didn't make guys like Milton and Ortiz serve up gopher ball after gopher ball last year. Neither did a lack of passion. Milton is very passionate about his job but was still historically awful last year.

Awesome. Hopefully we'll both come into next season's game undefeated. That would be insane. And even if we both don't, I'd be willing to bet that the Big 10 title will come down to one of us anyways, as is normally the case

Nah, Michigan is going to be pretty bad for the next two years.

Mariano was Mariano. Even the best blow saves every now and then. Take a look at the WBC. We had more talent than Canada and Mexico combined, yet got smoked. And why was that? Because we didn't care as much as they did. I say we all just agree that the past several years, the Reds have been awful in MANY facets of the game. I feel bad for starting such a negative post at the VERY beginning of the season. I'm sure the team will bounce back tomorrow afternoon. I hereby offer a truce

Well I hope that isn't the case, because every time you guys are having somewhat of a down season, and we're having a very good season, you kick the crap out of us. So if you are indeed not that great in these next two years, you'll probably win both games lol.

The difference between the WBC and the regular season is that it isn't when the players were getting millions of dollars to play the game as their job like they do during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Nah, Michigan is going to be pretty bad for the next two years.
    Hush.

They lost to Canada because Dontrelle Willis was awful - extremely awful. And if they lacked passion, how did they come back from such a hig deficit and almost win the game? And they lost to Mexico because when Oliver Perez is on his game, he's a phenomenal pitcher. Reds fans of all people should be very aware of this.

Occam's razor needs sharpening around here this week.

Ya know, now that I think about it, Thursday night I'll be in the right field seats watching the game. Hopefully Dunn hasn't been reading some of what I wrote about his defense and feel inclined to smoke a fastball out of the park aimed right at my face

Turn Off Ads?