Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: lack of passion

Re: lack of passion

Look, I'm an Adam Dunn fan, and that post, although written in part due to his mishaps in the field, wasn't the only reason I wrote it. This team is NOT a fundamental baseball team. They fail again, and again, and again at doing the little things that win games. What i'm trying to say has been twisted around a bit. I wasn't saying that "passion" was the only thing that mattered, and that our pitching isn't an issue. Never did I say any of that. But what I am saying is this team is poor at fundamental baseball, and has been for quite some time. And until these guys actually focus on correcting that, instead of trying to go out and hit 6 solo home runs, then it will take longer than we would all like for things to turn around. (I guess I really got a doozy of a debate going didn't I? Haha. )

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good post Pedro I'm glad a little humor was injected into this convo. It was getting a tad bit too serious for a minute. But that's a good thing. It shows how much we all care about our team

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    Good post Pedro I'm glad a little humor was injected into this convo. It was getting a tad bit too serious for a minute. But that's a good thing. It shows how much we all care about our team
    Yeah, it's getting a little old too.

The game was atrocious... it doesn't mean every game is going to be that way.

The team lacks fundamentals. Yup. But they will not/do not play that way every single game.

Adam Dunn is not the worst player in baseball, but you'd sure as hell think so! People act like he's a constant defensive liability and a total **** up.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Christ had passion. Look where it got him.
    LMAO

Not lack of passion, more like lack of pitching (as per usual)

The Reds will never win with that pitching staff.

Now, give 'em a GOOD staff with that same defense.

What do you think would happen?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I think that we would STILL have a crappy defense that would cost us a boat load of runs. We were one of, if not the WORST, defenses in the league last year. Our pitching staff is not a strikeout staff, so it's very important to have a good defense behind it, something we're not even close to having.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    And, obviously, Casey's passion for the game won the Reds many games over the last five years.

Lack of clutch hitting? The Reds led the NL in runs scored last year and are off to a greta start this year. They must be doing something right.
    This is one of many ridiculous statements you all have made. First off, one person's passion CAN NOT change the fate of a team. Sean Casey was a great man, one of the greatest to put on a Cincinnati Reds uniform. But you cannot tell me that it was squarely on him. Second, just because a team scores runs doesn't necessarily mean they were all clutch. Look how many people they left on base or the average of the team w/ RISP. That will tell you the true clutch hitting-ness of the team. Not total runs, you moron.

Second, "talent wins, not passion." by pedro. True, but not always. Look at the 1999 Cincinnati team that won 96 games. Let me list the starting rotation: Pete Harnisch, Denny Neagle, Steve Parris, Ron Villone, and Juan Guzman. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? To hear that rotation and believe the team won 96 games is beyond weird. That team will not have any future Hall-of-Famers in it, yet they miss the playoffs by one game. Yet, you want to sit here and tell me that they didn't have passion and it was sheer talent that won it for them? Oh get off of it!

Third, "Would passion have helped Adam Dunn catch a fly ball?" by membengal. No, but if Dunn had any passion at all, you would have seen a reaction to his many mistakes (wind-affected or not). But you never see disappointment or anger in our Reds faces due to mistakes or getting thrown out after a groundball.

Passion is important in all sports. I'm a runner, I know. If you don't have passion, you don't try. If you don't try, you fail. The Reds failed on Monday and sure, it's just one game. But unless hell freezes over first, I guarantee, we will see more passionless baseball from our boys in Red.

Fantastic point. If I may elaborate a bit further, going back to the defense argument, take a look at that 1999 rotation. Would you consider that a good rotation? I wouldn't. But it had a GREAT defense behind it. Reese and Larkin was one of the best DP combos, Cameron in center, Boonie at third, it really was a very good D for the most part. True, a fantastic bullpen also had a lot to do with it, but the good defense and clutch hitting (although not as much power as this team) contributed to 96 wins. The excitement you saw out of that team after every dramatic win was awesome, jumping up and down on home plate and what not. That team is the type of team that I long for now. Maybe our team this year will come through eventually, and maybe not. Time will tell

To hear that rotation and believe the team won 96 games is beyond weird.
    Maybe it was because only 6 NL relievers had over 92 IP that season and the Reds accounted for 50% of them?

Code:
    ERA                             DIFF   PLAYER   LEAGUE     IP       GS        G     
    1    Scott Williamson           2.16     2.41     4.57     93.1        0       62   
    2    Scott Sullivan             1.56     3.01     4.57    113.2        0       79   
    3    Danny Graves               1.49     3.08     4.57    111          0       75   
    4    Anthony Telford            0.63     3.94     4.57     96          0       79   
    5    David Weathers             -.08     4.65     4.57     93          0       63   
    6    Brian Edmondson           -1.27     5.84     4.57     94          0       68

Will someone please explain what these "fundamentals" are?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Will someone please explain what these "fundamentals" are?
    The little things, like sacrificing big hits for situational hitting, stealing and not striking out.
    Code:
    AMERICAN LEAGUE
    SEASON

EXTRA BASE HITS                 EBH    
    1    Red Sox                     620   
    2    Rangers                     584   
    3    Indians                     558   
    4    White Sox                   545   
    5    Yankees                     543   
    6    A's                         540   
    7    Tigers                      539   
    8    Twins                       525   
    9    Orioles                     506   
    10   Angels                      471   
    T11  Devil Rays                  469   
    T11  Blue Jays                   469   
    13   Royals                      440   
    14   Mariners                    432   

SACRIFICES                      SAC    
    1    White Sox                    58   
    2    Angels                       56   
    3    Tigers                       50   
    4    Indians                      47   
    T5   Mariners                     46   
    T5   Twins                        46   
    T5   Orioles                      46   
    8    Royals                       40   
    9    Yankees                      37   
    10   Devil Rays                   35   
    11   A's                          25   
    12   Rangers                      23   
    13   Blue Jays                    20   
    14   Red Sox                      12   

STOLEN BASES                    SB     
    1    Angels                      143   
    2    Devil Rays                  132   
    3    Twins                       116   
    4    Mariners                    110   
    5    Orioles                     101   
    6    Indians                      94   
    7    Tigers                       86   
    8    Yankees                      84   
    9    White Sox                    78   
    10   Rangers                      69   
    11   Red Sox                      68   
    12   Royals                       67   
    13   Blue Jays                    58   
    14   A's                          47   

STRIKEOUTS                      SO     
    1    Red Sox                    1189   
    2    Tigers                     1144   
    3    Rangers                    1099   
    4    Blue Jays                  1083   
    5    A's                        1061   
    6    Mariners                   1058   
    7    Royals                     1057   
    8    White Sox                  1030   
    9    Indians                    1009   
    T10  Twins                       982   
    T10  Yankees                     982   
    12   Orioles                     949   
    13   Devil Rays                  944   
    14   Angels                      942

Yeah, so the little things don't matter. Gotcha. And did I NOT mention the 1999 team had a great bullpen? Would you really like the Reds to model themselves after the 2005 Red Sox? How did the White Sox do? How about the Indians? The Angels? And which color of sock won the World Series again? I could have sworn it was white...

The year he was referencing, the socks were Red.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Would you really like the Reds to model themselves after the 2005 Red Sox?
    You mean mirror a team that uses its legacy and fanbase to generate a steady revenue and then pours it into a quality and healthy MLB system that employs the best and the brightest in the business?

Nah... I like the Royals model better.

Turn Off Ads?