Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: lack of passion

Re: lack of passion

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Hush.
    I wish it weren't so, but there's no way around it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

But how many players did not participate on that U.S. team? Randy Winn as a starting outfielder? Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I wish it weren't so, but there's no way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    I think that we would STILL have a crappy defense that would cost us a boat load of runs. We were one of, if not the WORST, defenses in the league last year. Our pitching staff is not a strikeout staff, so it's very important to have a good defense behind it, something we're not even close to having.
    The "crappy defense" probably costs the Reds a handful (or fewer) of wins.... but it's the pitching that costs them a boatload. Sooooo, IMHO, a decent pitching staff (including the BP) even with the current defense, would win a lot of games.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    Take a look at the WBC. We had more talent than Canada and Mexico combined, yet got smoked. And why was that? Because we didn't care as much as they did.
    Baseball isn't meant to be played in a round robin elimination environment... every team has the ability to win on any given day, even if they stink. That's why the World Series is exactly that... a series of games where the better team emerges.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 04-05-2006 at 12:51 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

But what happens when Occam eats his own tail? Apocalypse I say.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Baseball isn't meant to be played in a round robin elimination environment... every team has the ability to win on any given day, even if they stink. That's why the World Series is exactly that... a series of games where the better team emerges.
    except South Africa. They'll need to find their Kelly and Amanda first.

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832
    This is one of many ridiculous statements you all have made. First off, one person's passion CAN NOT change the fate of a team. Sean Casey was a great man, one of the greatest to put on a Cincinnati Reds uniform. But you cannot tell me that it was squarely on him. Second, just because a team scores runs doesn't necessarily mean they were all clutch. Look how many people they left on base or the average of the team w/ RISP. That will tell you the true clutch hitting-ness of the team. Not total runs, you moron.
    Moron? Unacceptable language- particularly considering that you don't have a clue as to the facts of the matter.

The 2005 Cincinnati Reds:

Runs Scored w/Runners On Base: .251 Runs per Plate Appearance (NL Rank- 1st)

Batting Average w/Runners On Base: .270 BA (NL Rank- 8th)

What? You mean that the Reds were an NL average team with Runners on Base but still led the NL in Runs Scored with Runners On? Yeah. That's how it works because BA w/Runners On doesn't mean squat.

Runs Scored w/Runners in Scoring Position: .348 (NL Rank- 3rd)

Batting Average w/Runners In Scoring Position: .256 (NL Rank- 11th)

How did THAT happen? The Reds were the best team in RS with Runners On per PA and the third best team in the NL in Runs Scored with RISP, yet finished 8th and 11th in BA in those respective rankings. Why is that?

It's because your position isn't consistent with what actually drives Run scoring- either over the long haul or situationally. In short, you don't know what you're talking about.

Second, "talent wins, not passion." by pedro. True, but not always. Look at the 1999 Cincinnati team that won 96 games. Let me list the starting rotation: Pete Harnisch, Denny Neagle, Steve Parris, Ron Villone, and Juan Guzman. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? To hear that rotation and believe the team won 96 games is beyond weird. That team will not have any future Hall-of-Famers in it, yet they miss the playoffs by one game. Yet, you want to sit here and tell me that they didn't have passion and it was sheer talent that won it for them? Oh get off of it!
    Sometimes the stars align correctly. Has nothing to do with "passion" or "effort" and it has everything to do with how baseball is a strange game.

Now go find one of the players you cited whose "passion" allowed them to carry their NEXT team to victory after they left the Reds. Good luck on that.

Third, "Would passion have helped Adam Dunn catch a fly ball?" by membengal. No, but if Dunn had any passion at all, you would have seen a reaction to his many mistakes (wind-affected or not). But you never see disappointment or anger in our Reds faces due to mistakes or getting thrown out after a groundball.
    Complete bunk. The perception of the unreasonable is never evidence to the contary when faced with a reasonable position. It's usually nothing more than a casual fan's expectation of that which isn't reasonable.

Passion is important in all sports. I'm a runner, I know. If you don't have passion, you don't try. If you don't try, you fail. The Reds failed on Monday and sure, it's just one game. But unless hell freezes over first, I guarantee, we will see more passionless baseball from our boys in Red.
    Your "sport" (and I use that term loosely) is immesurably less complex than Major League Baseball. When the Reds underperform your casual expectations in 2006, it's going to be due to talent, not "passion".

And let's face it..."passion" may allow you to finish the race, but it won't allow you to beat a much faster runner. You know that. If you don't try, you don't get into the race. But trying ain't going to make you a winning runner if you don't have the skill to be one. That's as simple as it gets.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

And the "Joe Average fan" comment was acceptable? I'm actually pretty good friends with some of the people that I've been arguing with about this, I'm not making this personal in any way, shape or form. But that was a below the belt shot to me. I say we all just agree to disagree and end it. The purpose of this thread wasn't to start a monumental argument such as this. So my apologies for accidentally doing that. So can we please end it?

You know when this team had a lot of passion? 2003. Man, they were coming back in games, hitting game winning home runs and just creating a lot of excitement. Guys like Sean Casey and Aaron Boone were on that team. Remember how they would do The Bounce when they won a game in their last at bat? How did that team finish anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

You're right. 2002 was like that, also. To wrap my thoughts on this up, I'm not saying that passion is the only thing that matters. That obviously isn't the case. I'm just saying at times, I wish they'd show a little more. I'm not saying that their lack of emotion doesn't mean that they care, but I do wish they'd show more. It's must my opinion. I know many of you disagree, and that's fine. I'm not saying passion cures a terrible pitching staff, or bad defense, etc. etc. And I'm not saying this team DOESN'T have passion. This thing has been blown way out of proportion. Quite frankly, I have a very bad case of viral bronchitis, and I don't feel like aruging over it anymore lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Your "sport" (and I use that term loosely) is immesurably less complex than Major League Baseball. When the Reds underperform your casual expectations in 2006, it's going to be due to talent, not "passion".

And let's face it..."passion" may allow you to finish the race, but it won't allow you to beat a much faster runner. You know that. If you don't try, you don't get into the race. But trying ain't going to make you a winning runner if you don't have the skill to be one. That's as simple as it gets.
    Okay, let me ask a question. (By the way, the only reason I haven't replied to your sarcasm of my response is because this website decided that "moron" was inappropriate. Well, I think making fun of Jesus Christ's passion was inappropriate. But hey, I'm not the one who pays to keep this site up, so I'll shut up) I agree that the MLB is more complex than running. But have you ever heard of Steve Prefontaine? He was a guy from Koos Bay, Oregon, someone that no one ever heard of that came out and gave it HIS ALL EVERY RACE. What happened? He became the best runner in American history, finishing fourth in the 1976 Munich Olympics. He was a person who did not have a runner's body, which is tall, lanky, and long legs. Pre did not have any of these. What he had was PASSION. When he had PASSION, he pushed everyone and dared anyone to beat him. He was the gutsiest and biggest loud-mouth (sorry, that was inappropriate language) in the history of running. What does this have with the Reds, since this is a Cincinnati Reds blogsite? If the Reds had as much PASSION as Pre did, their talent would be that much improved, as was Pre's. I am out.

Opening day was a hard game to grade. Down 5-0 before the first AB will take the wind out of anyone's sails. Maybe if this team had any sort of pitching (mostly in the pen) they would have a little more fire. 5-0 in the 1st was all about "Here we go again."

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832
    Okay, let me ask a question. (By the way, the only reason I haven't replied to your sarcasm of my response is because this website decided that "moron" was inappropriate.
    Calling someone a moron is inappropriate. I suggest you have someone read the rules at the bottom of the page to you since it appears you have not.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    They had an announced attendance of over 35,000, believe it or not.
    I wouldn't put much stock in "announced" attendance figures. I watched some of the Braves-Dodgers game that was played last night at Chavez Ravine. They claimed to have 35,000+ in attendance.

No...Freakin'...Way....

I'm guessing it was closer to around 15,000. Good game anyway.

Turn Off Ads?