Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB.TV, Extra Innings, FSN Ohio...

MLB.TV, Extra Innings, FSN Ohio...

I live in Northeast Ohio, Canton/Akron area so of course the Indians are always on. I have Time Warner cable and recently they didn't renew a deal with the Indians, instead signing a new deal with Sportstime Ohio. So logically, the Reds would start being broadcasted up here on FSN Ohio right? Wrong. I contacted Time Warner and they can only put in a request from me until the company decides to pick up the coverage. So my other options are Extra Innings through TWC (about 60 games subject to blackout for about $130 or so) and MLB.TV for about $80. I was wondering if anybody has experienced the MLB.TV and if it is a better deal than the Extra Innings...i.e. how many games could I get, blackouts, quality, and so on. I'm also trying to figure out a way to produce mass requests to TWC for Reds coverage up here with an online petition or something. Anybody have any suggestions? Somebody please save me from the Tribe and that stupid drum guy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB.TV, Extra Innings, FSN Ohio...

the Reds would only be blacked out in your area if they are considered your home market team. . I believe the Indians are, therefore all of the Reds games would be televised. I believe over 130 games this year.

I have a feeling you might be blacked out on Extra Innings. I know where I live we are blacked out on Reds, Indians and Tigers games on Extra Innings. Extra Innings is on a free preview week this week from April 3rd through April 9th so turn on the games and you can see if you are blacked out on Reds games.

If you want to know if you are blacked out of Reds games on MLB.TV go to the following page at the bottom of the page you can pick your team and it will list zip codes that are blacked out from receiving those games.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/su...ions/mlbtv.jsp

I was never blacked out up here in Akron for the Reds on Extra Innings (I had it through Time Warner), but I don't know about Canton. I now get FSO through Direct TV and they will show the special programming for the Reds, having shown "Reds Week" before the season started. However, they've shown the Cleveland feed of FSO for the games, which means bowling or World Series of Poker. It may be that Akron/Canton are prohibited from showing Reds games through the "local" carrier because we're so close to the Cleveland home market.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Thanks for the help. I wouldn't be blacked out on MLB.TV, which doesn't seem like a bad deal. Extra Innings won't deliver as many games as that. Appreciate the advice.

The reds are my home team and I live in Tennessee. I can't watch them on extra innings or MLB.TV.

Quote Originally Posted by fisch11
    Thanks for the help. I wouldn't be blacked out on MLB.TV, which doesn't seem like a bad deal. Extra Innings won't deliver as many games as that. Appreciate the advice.
    If I may ask, why are you blacked out for Extra Innings and not MLB.TV? (Did you get some sort of explanation on the EI blackout?) I always thought the blackout rules are the same. When I had it, I was only blacked out for the games where the Reds played the Indians.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by James B.
    The reds are my home team and I live in Tennessee. I can't watch them on extra innings or MLB.TV.
    I don't know if you have satellite TV, but this is a question I've always had. If you are considered to be in a particular team's market and the regional sports network that broadcasts that team's games is not part of your package, can you buy the Regional Sports Package (giving you all the regional sports networks in the country) and get the team's broadcasts that way?

I've always wondered what happens to those people who live in areas considered to be the home market for multiple teams. If they can't get those games through Extra Innings or MLB.TV because of the blackout rules, does that mean that they aren't blacked out on their respective regional sports network? It seems counterproductive to deem people part of a team's market area and not give them some way of viewing the games.

i live in canton and have had mlb.tv for the past three years. the reds are only blacked out when they are playing the indians

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    I don't know if you have satellite TV, but this is a question I've always had. If you are considered to be in a particular team's market and the regional sports network that broadcasts that team's games is not part of your package, can you buy the Regional Sports Package (giving you all the regional sports networks in the country) and get the team's broadcasts that way?

I've always wondered what happens to those people who live in areas considered to be the home market for multiple teams. If they can't get those games through Extra Innings or MLB.TV because of the blackout rules, does that mean that they aren't blacked out on their respective regional sports network? It seems counterproductive to deem people part of a team's market area and not give them some way of viewing the games.
    I also live in Tn and the Reds were one of 3 home teams here. The Braves and Cards being the other 2. I was blacked out on Extra Innings for Reds games but I bought the sports pkg for 12.00 per month and I get the games on channel 638 FS Cin. Now, saying that, I received a post card in the mail from DTV telling this year the Red's are no longer considered a home team here and I can only get the games by buying Extra Innings. MLB.TV still considers the Red's our home team as does TIme Warner cable. The game came on in the clear on DTV Monday but was blacked out on my cable. I am still waiting to see if Sundays game comes on in the clear. This game is not being shown by the Red's Fox Sports Network but is being shown by the Pirates. If it is clear then that means DTV has opted to lift the Reds from being a Home team in Memphis Tn. Also when I called MLB.TV, the rep told me that DTV could have worked out a deal with MLB to drop some teams from being home teams. Why would the Reds be a Home team in Memphis anyway. Cinn is about 500 miles away, but then again so is Atlanta. This blackout crap is for the birds IMO. I can see if you live within so 60 -75 miles of a city but 500 miles. Give me a break. If I could have gotten all the Reds games in the past I would have gladly shelled out the bucks to do so. It seems to me MLB is costing themselves and the Sat and cable companys money by having these blackouts as they have them now.
    I will let you know on Sunday what happens. If it is blacked out then I guess I am S.O.L. for getting The Red's games this year. If I have to buy the Extra Innings Pkg and only get the games that are shown on The Reds Network that IMHO SUCKS Donkey Doooo :thumbdown Here's hoping it's in the clear Sunday and I get to see em all.

I'm in El Paso and my home teams are the Texas Rangers and Houston Astros. Phoenix is 6 to 7 hours away and Houston/Dallas are 10 hours plus and another time zone away. But the Diamondbacks are out of Market.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

All I know is that I'm getting totally screwed here in Toledo.

The local cable company used to be really cool about showing the Reds, even when the Indians were also playing. They'd put the FSN Cincinnati feed over one of the "Shop at Home" channels for the duration of the game. But, since the Indians went nutty in the offseason, the cable company took FSN Ohio off the lineup and struck a deal to show just Indians games. Now, no more Reds games.

MLB.TV considers Toledo a Reds blackout zone, so I can't watch that way either. It's absolutely ridiculous. Major League Baseball should be bending over backwards to ensure that as many people can watch and follow the sport, not forcing fans to find odd and strange ways to watch games.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Haunted by walks

Direct TV says its uses the ZIP codes that MLB uses.

Somebody with skills should take all these factors, DirectTV, MLB, EI, ESPN Sunday nights and Wednesday nights, FOX Saturday day games and set it up so you can type in your ZIP code and it'll show what's blacked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    All I know is that I'm getting totally screwed here in Toledo.

The local cable company used to be really cool about showing the Reds, even when the Indians were also playing. They'd put the FSN Cincinnati feed over one of the "Shop at Home" channels for the duration of the game. But, since the Indians went nutty in the offseason, the cable company took FSN Ohio off the lineup and struck a deal to show just Indians games. Now, no more Reds games.

MLB.TV considers Toledo a Reds blackout zone, so I can't watch that way either. It's absolutely ridiculous. Major League Baseball should be bending over backwards to ensure that as many people can watch and follow the sport, not forcing fans to find odd and strange ways to watch games.
    That stinks. I lived in BG in the Sportschannel days. I can remember getting Reds on the main Sportschannel station and the Indians on an alt. channel. We could also get the Tigers on PASS. Couple that with the Cubs on WGN and the Braves on TBS (before Turner South came into the picture) and there was plenty of baseball on TV.

Turn Off Ads?