Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: The "What is Wily Mo Up To Today?" Thread...

Re: The What is Wily Mo Up To Today Thread...

Quote Originally Posted by vermonter
    That single was maybe the hardest hit single I have ever seen. It was hit right at the left fielder, but he didn't have time to react, just field it like a third baseman fielding a one-hopper on an almost-too-late stab to his right.

FWIW he got his first start in CF last night and looked much more comfortable there than in RF. Hopefully Francona noticed ...
    Well, since the Reds fans aren't using their Wily Mo thread right now, I hope they won't mind too much if the RS fans take it over for a little bit.

He can't possibly put Willie Harris back out there again, can he? I know a lot of RS fans are down on the trade, but all starting pitchers are going to have some bad starts(sorry, guys, even Bronson), and the offense is what's really starting to scare me. They need Wily Mo in the lineup, and I think they're going to need him even when they get Crisp back, but there won't be anywhere to put him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    Do you guys know why he uses such a heavy bat?
    It helps anchor him to the Earth. That's important because when he swings and misses, I do believe he'd achieve escape velocity with a lighter bat.

So I'm not sure what the issue is. Paul Bunyan used a bigger-than-normal axe and no one seemed to complain about that.

"The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

A funny instance of irony concerning Wily Mo's most recent travails.

Anyone see the AB Wily Mo had last night in Fenway when he hit a flyball to the RF'er and the RF'er made a 'Wily Mo-inspired' catch-attempt/fumble/collapse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Noticed that Wily Mo is a single away from the cycle today. He'll get one, possibly two more ABs today.
    3-for-3 w/3 RBI. I always liked the guy, glad he's doing well in Boston.

I predict a K for him in his final AB...unless it goes to extras.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

And I was right...*bows*
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11
    I predict a K for him in his final AB...unless it goes to extras.
    Pitch 1 - Foul
    Pitch 2 - Called Strike
    Pitch 3 - Swinging Strike

Wily Mo Pena strikes out swinging.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

I miss you Wily MO!!!!!!
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Re: The "What is Wily Mo Up To Today?" Thread...

I watched your ABs today and tonight, Wily Mo, I think you've improved your plate discipline somewhat and will benefit greatly from whatever plate-#-opportunities you are provided!!

Good luck, Wily Mo.
    Last edited by WMR; 08-19-2006 at 03:10 AM.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Wily MO is slugging .548 and has an OBP of .361 for an OPS of .909. NOt bad.
    Wily Mo's made a career so far of destroying pitching for 150 ABs, but he stumbles off a cliff of his own making at some point in the season. It's astonishing.

But the guy only has a 170 ABs in Boston. With regular PT his OB will plummet. Does he have value? Sure, in a Jose Guillen kind of way, but let's be realistic about who he is as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Wily Mo's made a career so far of destroying pitching for 150 ABs, but he stumbles off a cliff of his own making at some point in the season. It's astonishing.

But the guy only has a 170 ABs in Boston. With regular PT his OB will plummet. Does he have value? Sure, in a Jose Guillen kind of way, but let's be realistic about who he is as a player.
    Yeah, he is a young player who is finally getting a little bit of playing time and developing into someone who can be quite special. thats realistic.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Yeah, he is a young player who is finally getting a little bit of playing time and developing into someone who can be quite special. thats realistic.
    He got more playing time in Cincinnati than Boston.

Only becuase he was hurt this year.... but I also meant pt in general, from both us and teh Sox becuase well he didnt have time to develop in the minors fully, so he was learning on the bench and learning while playing twice a week at times with the Reds.

Wily Mo made the play of the game last night, throwing a runner out at the plate to preserve a 1 run lead. Jered Weaver made him look silly at the plate, but he was hardly alone there, and Wily Mo got his revenge with a perfect throw from LF.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Just out of curiosity, when will WMP be hitting free agency?

Turn Off Ads?