Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With EE's rough day...

Re: With EE's rough day...

EE should be the regular thirdbaseman for at least the first couple of months. The Reds need to see if he can play at this level.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    Leo once started a young center fielder who never even hit a loud foul ball in his first 15 times to the plate.

You're talking about Don Ross, right? I looked through Durocher's career, and he was the only one i found.
    well, i did stop in '51, because i know the Giants sure never had any great centerfielders in the '50s or '60s. :

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    In 1976, Sparky Anderson started the "Great Eight" regulars only 46 times in the regular season. The Reds went 36-10 in those games. Counting the postseason, the 1976 Reds went 43-10, a .811%, in games that all eight regulars started. Over 87 games in 1975-76, including the postseason, the Great Eight went 69-18, .793%. They were scrappy.
    In case someone didn't do the math, that .793 winning percentage extrapolates to 128 wins over a full 162 game season.

Nice work, RB.

Rem

Anyone else think that Narron & company fell in love w/ EE hot start to spring training, and have him too high in the batting order? With his lack of experience, I'd much rather see him hitting in the 7th hole. I say switch Kearns & EE around until EE proves that he's ready to be a 5 hole hitter.

Additionally, I think its time for Kearns to stop living off his potential. This is really a put up or shut up year for him. I'd like to see how he handles the 5 spot behind Dunn. If he's as good as we all thought he was before Ray King sat on him, then he should be able to handle it well.

Quote Originally Posted by medford
    Anyone else think that Narron & company fell in love w/ EE hot start to spring training, and have him too high in the batting order? With his lack of experience, I'd much rather see him hitting in the 7th hole. I say switch Kearns & EE around until EE proves that he's ready to be a 5 hole hitter.

Additionally, I think its time for Kearns to stop living off his potential. This is really a put up or shut up year for him. I'd like to see how he handles the 5 spot behind Dunn. If he's as good as we all thought he was before Ray King sat on him, then he should be able to handle it well.
    Not sure. I will say that he has the longest swing on the team, even longer than Griffey now. I don't think that works with Carlos Zambrano. But hell, who hits Zambrano usually? He makes all rookies look stupid.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by medford

Agreed. Don't know what Narron is thinking with EE fifth. Kearns should be fifth, EE seventh.

I do think EE will get the full shot at third. Freel and RA will play second and first against lefties; Womack and Hatteberg against righties; Freel and Aurilia will also occasionally fill in elsewhere for rests, injuries, etc.

As Narron said, EdE may go 1-20, but he'll hit eventually.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

TeamBoone i agree with you. i hate the fact that Narron switches lineups so much. Bob Boone also did that and drove me crazy. Remember the Adam Dunn at leadoff situation? It was always something with him. Hopefully after Womack starts the year batting .001, Narron will ease up on the lineup situation

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Agreed. Don't know what Narron is thinking with EE fifth. Kearns should be fifth, EE seventh.

I do think EE will get the full shot at third. Freel and RA will play second and first against lefties; Womack and Hatteberg against righties; Freel and Aurilia will also occasionally fill in elsewhere for rests, injuries, etc.
    From the Enquirer, March 10th:

"I think he's going to be a middle-of-the-order guy," Narron said. "We're talking about a young kid. He's got some growing to do.

"The big thing is if he's going to be an RBI guy that's going to drive in the big runs there in the middle of the order. That's what we're going to have to find out."
    And from MLB.com on March 15th, he said:

"Last year when he was up, he was hitting in the eight-hole all year for us when he was there and had no protection behind him," Narron said. "It put him at a little bit of a disadvantage coming into the big leagues."
    I think that's what he's thinking. My decrying lack of production in the first game doesn't mean I think EE is shot for the year. He'll learn and I think he'll be the better for it.

Taking anything from Opening Day as representative of long-term value is simply foolhardy, either from the manager's or the fan's perspectives. E_E will hit, Womack won't maintain an .800 OBP, Dunn won't hit 162 HRs, and Harang won't lose 30 games with an ERA of 6.00+.

E_E will be starting at third today, and likely through April. If he's pulling a Brandon Larson come April 30, you might see some changes.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Taking anything from Opening Day as representative of long-term value is simply foolhardy, either from the manager's or the fan's perspectives. E_E will hit, Womack won't maintain an .800 OBP, Dunn won't hit 162 HRs, and Harang won't lose 30 games with an ERA of 6.00+.

E_E will be starting at third today, and likely through April. If he's pulling a Brandon Larson come April 30, you might see some changes.
    Well, there's a refreshing jolt of sensibility.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by NatiRedGals
    Who knows but i know womacks gonna be in the lineup

Lineup is posted and no Womack.

I thought you knew?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?