Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weathers-Clear Cut Closer?

Weathers-Clear Cut Closer?

2 Attempts... 2 Saves

All the opening Day hoopla made me kinda over look the fact that he's looking really good in relief so far.

Just wanted to give a shout out to our Closer

DAVID WEATHERS

You da man!
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weathers-Clear Cut Closer?

Yep,he clearly is throwing the ball real good and I say keep him in that row as long as he keeps pitching this way.The way he is throwing I think he wants to be the closer!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Yea.....comes out with his mind set in the right place and has so far gotten the job DONE.

Lookin good so far.
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

He should be used as the first reliever out when it's a close game..I loath the thought of Burns,White ext blowing leads in the 7th and 8th.
    Go Gators!

Yea that hurt today.

but id much rather save him for the 8/9th inning so he can hold the lead. when it matters most.

Just keep hoping for a few guys to step up as the "clear cut setup men"

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    He should be used as the first reliever out when it's a close game..I loath the thought of Burns,White ext blowing leads in the 7th and 8th.

I don't know about Burns yet but I don't like White!! He played on my dads pirates last few years and stunk it up.Hes starting to do the same thing here. I think they should get Wagner up here I don't know what he done in ST but hes got to be better than White.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Even though Weathers doesn't throw hard it seems like he can get the job. I really don't see why he couldn't save ballgames all year barring an injury.

Weathers has a closer's mentality. I like him. I say ride him!
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Weathers did well last year, and should be doin the same thing this year.

And I think it really could depend on where at in the game we are.. And who we have left in the pen.

Coffey/Merk still there and Reds in a tight spot and need an out or two. Bring in Weathers.

If we are up a couple with no one on ect, bring in someone else... Save Weathers for the 9th.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Coffey should be the setup man for Weathers.

Old Red Guard Reject

He's the closer until the trade deadline....then he's the Yankees set up man.

jredmo2

The good news is that it looks to me that if we could find maybe one quality middle reliever we could win a lot of Arroyo-Harang-Claussen games. You know, just one guy to step up and gets some innings in so Merck and Coffey don't need to do everything. Milton I guess is a toss-up. He could do alright or, you know, suck really bad. REAL bad. And then Williams.. christ Williams. I'm not looking forward to him coming out in the fourth and Burns and White picking up for him... lord.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

No matter how you spin it, David Weathers is a +4 career ERA pitcher. Last year he posted a pretty good statline, holding batters to a .669 OPSA and keeping his hits and walks under control.

He's a very good middle relief pitcher, but he's not prototypical "closer" material at all -- definately not the kind of guy that's going to post that 2-something ERA and strike out the side in the 9th. Unfortuantely, he's really the best of what's around.

Basically, don't get too excited: It's great to see him throw 2 good saves, but he'll regress back to his career norms and give up hits and runs as the season wears on. But, if the Reds want to develop something resembling a good bullpen, they need to find someone who misses bats to deal in the 9th, and let Weathers do what he's most suited to: protecting leads in the 7th and 8th.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 04-07-2006 at 12:50 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

jredmo2

See I just don't know.. yes you don't want a closer who tosses softballs.. but I think its much more important for a closer to be smart than overpowering. Weathers is smart and knows that as a closer each out puts more pressure on each successive hitter, and responds accordingly. Too many teams, in my opinion, wheel out power pitchers who walk too many in the 9th.

Shine him up and ship him out.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?