Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Report: UAB to hire former Indiana coach Davis

Report: UAB to hire former Indiana coach Davis

Just heard this break on ESPN radio on my way home from work.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2400053

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Former Indiana coach Mike Davis accepted an offer Thursday night to take over UAB's basketball program, The Birmingham News reported.

The newspaper, citing unidentified sources close to the negotiations, said on its Web site Thursday night that the move was expected to be announced Friday.

The 45-year-old Davis, a native of Fayette who played for Alabama, would replace Mike Anderson, who left the Blazers to become coach at Missouri.

UAB interim athletic director Richard Margison did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press on Thursday night.

Davis led Indiana to the 2002 national championship game two seasons after taking over the team following Bob Knight's firing. The only Indiana coach to win 20 games in each of his first three seasons, Davis was 115-79 in six seasons.

Davis announced his resignation Feb. 16, effective at the end of the season. The Hoosiers finished 19-12, losing to Gonzaga in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Report: UAB to hire former Indiana coach Davis

This is a very good fit for Davis. It's a good program without the pressure of Indiana, and it's in his home state. Anderson left a very good talent base and program to work with.

I think he'll do very well at UAB.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Turn Off Ads?