Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Freel's SB's

  1. #1
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,129

    Freel's SB's

    I was curious if Freel's SB's were because the pitcher was napping, Barrett has a weak arm, or if he just got a great jump.

    It seems as if Ryan Freel could lead the league in SB's if he played every day, and got on base just a tad more than he has so far in his career.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,095

    Re: Freel's SB's

    Remember he stole 5 in a game last year. Once Freel realizes that the pitcher is slow to the plate or the catcher has a noodle, he's running every chance he gets. As for his SB the other day, I dunno which is the case. Seeing as how they pitched out and he still stole, I'm guessing he got a good read on the starter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  4. #3
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: Freel's SB's

    It was napping quite in the sense like the June game against the Braves last season where I watched 46-year-old Julio Franco jog to second and then third against Matt Belisle and Javier Valentin, but I don't think the one base even drew a throw.

  5. #4
    Who Dey!! GridironGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Monticello, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Freel's SB's

    Those SB's vs the Cubs the other day! Werent they with 2 outs?

    2 outs their really not worried with getting a Runner... they want the BATTER.

    IM pretty sure it was with 2 outs.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

  6. #5
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,398

    Re: Freel's SB's

    Quote Originally Posted by GridironGrace
    Those SB's vs the Cubs the other day! Werent they with 2 outs?

    2 outs their really not worried with getting a Runner... they want the BATTER.

    IM pretty sure it was with 2 outs.
    Getting into scoring position is sorta important in baseball.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  7. #6
    Who Dey!! GridironGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Monticello, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Freel's SB's

    YES it is.

    But with 2 outs... a Pitcher isnt gonna worry to much about a runner in the first place.......he's gonna get the BATTER.

    Thats all im saying... so in a sense freel caught them sleeping.....but "sleeping" is more like "not caring" lol

    And he ended up scoring because of it

    ESPECIALLLY when he stole 3rd.

    Freel was scoring on a single anyways once he was on 2B.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

  8. #7
    Member penantboundreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    861

    Re: Freel's SB's

    on one of them they pitched out and he still made it, that isn't napping, that's speed and a good jump

    he is a hell of a baserunner, give him his props
    For Love of the Game

    "If you aren't first; you're last"

  9. #8
    Who Dey!! GridironGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Monticello, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Freel's SB's

    i am........thats when he stole 2B
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

  10. #9
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,095

    Re: Freel's SB's

    Quote Originally Posted by GridironGrace
    YES it is.

    But with 2 outs... a Pitcher isnt gonna worry to much about a runner in the first place.......he's gonna get the BATTER.

    Thats all im saying... so in a sense freel caught them sleeping.....but "sleeping" is more like "not caring" lol

    And he ended up scoring because of it

    ESPECIALLLY when he stole 3rd.

    Freel was scoring on a single anyways once he was on 2B.
    Good point. Freel stealing 3rd with two outs is actually a pretty stupid risk to take.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  11. #10
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,398

    Re: Freel's SB's

    I was talking about the post that said 2 out steals aren't important.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  12. #11
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,648

    Re: Freel's SB's

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Good point. Freel stealing 3rd with two outs is actually a pretty stupid risk to take.
    Stealing 3rd gives a speed guy like Ryan Freel a chance to steal on a wild pitch or a passed ball.

    Situationally, this can be a huge thing, as it can alter the appraoch of the pitcher away from throwing certain pitches. With a speed guy on third and 2 outs, I can all but guarantee you that you that the pitcher is going to avoid, if it all possible, any hard breaking pitches low and away or other pitches with a good chance of finding the dirt or missing the catcher. Simply by being on 3rd, Freel has forced the pitcher to change his gameplan and has changed the complexion of the AB.

    It's a good risk to take, especially if Freel is confident he can beat a throw or get in with no throw at all.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  13. #12
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,095

    Re: Freel's SB's

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Stealing 3rd gives a speed guy like Ryan Freel a chance to steal on a wild pitch or a passed ball.

    Situationally, this can be a huge thing, as it can alter the appraoch of the pitcher away from throwing certain pitches. With a speed guy on third and 2 outs, I can all but guarantee you that you that the pitcher is going to avoid, if it all possible, any hard breaking pitches low and away or other pitches with a good chance of finding the dirt or missing the catcher. Simply by being on 3rd, Freel has forced the pitcher to change his gameplan and has changed the complexion of the AB.

    It's a good risk to take, especially if Freel is confident he can beat a throw or get in with no throw at all.
    Well, I'll grant you that specific situation perhaps - as it seems that Freel knew they couldn't touch him. However, if you're dealing with typical success rate, say 75%, I think you're likely better off staying at 2B, rather than risking an inning end SB. With no chance to score on a sac fly, the value of a man on 3B with 2 outs is much closer to what it is with him on 2B, so the risk/reward ratio increases.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  14. #13
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,626

    Re: Freel's SB's

    It's bad, bad, bad to make the first or third out at third base. But, if your 99% certain you can make it and one run is important for insurance or winning, then it would be prudent to steal third with two outs. With two outs, a runner can score from third in so many more ways than from second. Off the top of my head: passed ball, wild pitch, balk, steal, squeeze, infield error, infield single, and few more I'm sure. Also, as was mentioned, the pitcher cannot risk certain pitches that have a tendency to break down into the dirt.

    A steal of second is important, even with two outs, because it puts a runner in scoring position (more likely to get one single with two outs) and eliminates the force at second.
    Last edited by Spitball; 04-07-2006 at 05:48 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  15. #14
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Freel's SB's

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Well, I'll grant you that specific situation perhaps - as it seems that Freel knew they couldn't touch him. However, if you're dealing with typical success rate, say 75%, I think you're likely better off staying at 2B, rather than risking an inning end SB. With no chance to score on a sac fly, the value of a man on 3B with 2 outs is much closer to what it is with him on 2B, so the risk/reward ratio increases.
    Well, as we saw on Wednesday, him stealing third was essentially the difference in the game. Without being on third for the groundout, he never woul dhave made it home.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  16. #15
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,275

    Re: Freel's SB's

    Freel timed the pitchers perfectly, but I'm guessing he also knew that as long as he gets a good jump there's no way in hell Michael Barrett can throw him out. Seriously, I bet it's mathematically impossible.

    BTW, the two times he stole second it was with one out. It was only the swipe of 3rd that he did with two outs.

    Freel's a gifted base stealer. He can take the base even when everyone knows he's going. In fact, wasn't his first steal on a pitch out?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25