Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dayton Daily News - More info on blackout info.

Dayton Daily News - More info on blackout info.

According to the "other" Marc - MLB says that parts of Dayton is in the Cubs market.

TV/Media: Surprise! We're in the Cubs' television market
    By Marc Katz
    Dayton Daily News

So my boss calls me Wednesday afternoon and wants to know why the Reds aren't on ESPN as advertised. I'm working, of course, and didn't notice.

At first, I'm relieved. It's not The Boss, who wants me to go to the grocery again and clean up my mess. It's the guy at work, who doesn't want to get caught goofing off at Great American Ball Park, so he turns on his desktop television and gets ESPN News.

(He's probably still goofing off, but he's made a phone call to me, so it's like work.)

No problem. I'll make one call, get an explanation of blackout situations and be done with it.

Two days and about 25 phone calls later, I've got a better idea of what happened, but it's still not as crystal clear as one of those allergy medication commercials.

Hold on to your ballcaps. We're in Cubs territory.

OK, OK. I know we're not. We're not even close, although you may have noticed all the Cubs fans at Reds games over the years. Must be they can't get tickets to Wrigley Field, and playing the Reds is usually good luck.

It turns out Major League Baseball draws up territorial rights, and Mercer County, Van Wert and Paulding along the western edge of the state, have been deemed Cubs territory.

That's the part I'm not clear about. I'm awaiting a few more call-backs.

Since Mercer County (think Celina) is serviced by Time Warner Cable, which also services the greater Dayton area, the game was blacked out here.

Teams sometimes black out road games, I'm told, because other stations hold the rights, even if ESPN has a package that includes some of their games. The local station can black out the games in its area. No other Cincinnati station held the rights to Wednesday's game, so ESPN showed the game to viewers in the Queen City. (EDIT-I thought it WAS blacked out in Cincinnati

In Chicago, another station — Comcast — did have the rights, and the game was shown, but not on ESPN. That station's rights superseded ESPN's, which immediately shut down all the usual Cubs outlets, which are mostly in Illinois (just a guess) and Indiana.

We're big Cubs fans in Ohio, too, but only when we can't get the Red Sox (wink, wink).

The people at Major League Baseball assured me that Dayton would not be blacked out again, although the folks at ESPN said it might, if ESPN were televising the Cubs and Reds.

That's not the answer you're looking for, but consider the bigger — more frightening — picture. If MLB can't figure out where Cubs fans end and Reds fans begin, how are they ever going to determine whether Barry Bonds took steroids?

Contact Marc Katz at 225-2157 or mkatz@daytondailynews.com
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dayton Daily News - More info on blackout info.

Does anybody get the feeling that Marc Katz thinks he's funnier than he really is?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red
    Does anybody get the feeling that Marc Katz thinks he's funnier than he really is?
    Yes, he does this a lot. His columns have that "tone" quite often. It kind of bugs me!

Marc Katz is funny. I should know. He told me so.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I live in Indianapolis(originally from Kettering), and I experienced the same thing on my satellite. I have Direct TV, and they blacked out the game on ESPN, but after flipping through the stations, I found it on Chicago's comcast station, a channel I normally don't get, but I guess Direct does this for those affected by the blackout.

That's ridiculous. Dayton is only 35 miles north of Cincinnati's I-275 loop. Chicago is 5 hours away.

If that's considered Cubs territory (even partially Cubs territory), it should definitely be changed.

Indianapolis shouldn't be considered Cubs territory either; it's only 1.5 hrs away... plus, the fact that it was home to the Reds AAA club for several years should also be a determining factor.

Who makes these stupid decisons?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Who makes these stupid decisons?
    must be a relative of Bud

MLB tv is so screwed up it can't just be one person to blame.
    Go Gators!

Reds management needs to get a team of lawyers and visit every cable system within their market and fight for their terroritory. Also would be a good idea is to bring in the cable executives into Cincinnati to wine and dine them.

we arent in cubs territory for what they said. yes, if its on wgn we are, cause we get that on time warner in dayton. but we dont get the channel they were talking about, so they are just WRONG

Turn Off Ads?