Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Markakis

Markakis

Markakis would look pretty nice in the Cincy farm system about now. I guess the quibbling over 250K doesn't look like much now.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Markakis

hindsight is always 20/20....

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    hindsight is always 20/20....
    I remember at the time it all seemed pretty stupid because the kid was a potential "5 tool" OF or stud pitcher and was going to be a top10 pick. I guess they should of used some of the Wagner bonus money.

If you're smart you can rebuild rather quickly. The Snakes got Jackson and Quentin in the first round that year.

I like our draft last year, and I think in another year it will really show in the "organizational rankings" that seem pretty biased to me anyways.

I like our draft last year
    you won't be able to judge it until the end of this year. 2004 looked bad and BJ, Tatum and Janish did little before getting hurt in a league they were already "old".

We will have to see how Ward, Lecure and Avery do in a full season.

Also keep an eye on RLs guy Abe Woody who is starting at AA. He is Mike Burns with better command and slightly better stuff.

I'm hoping that this year's draft will start with a top college pitcher.

Woody actually is in Sarasota. He played with the Lookouts in ST some, but is actually on the Sarasota Reds roster. 2004 did look pretty bad, but 2005 looked a lot more promising.
    Bruce, Wood, Lecure, Ward, Avery, Rosales, Woody....not all will be great, but I think we got some good talent in the draft and it will start to show.

Woody actually is in Sarasota. He played with the Lookouts in ST some, but is actually on the Sarasota Reds roster. 2004 did look pretty bad, but 2005 looked a lot more promising.
    Bruce, Wood, Lecure, Ward, Avery, Rosales, Woody....not all will be great, but I think we got some good talent in the draft and it will start to show.
    The Reds need something because they have a huge void of relief pitching(which are usually failed starters) as well.

well Ben Kozlowski and Calvin Medlock are both being turned into relievers this year, not exactly failed starters but they are being converted anyways.

well Ben Kozlowski and Calvin Medlock are both being turned into relievers this year, not exactly failed starters but they are being converted anyways.
    in Kozlowski's case I would say he has failed. In the case of Medlock(at 5'10") he seems to project to relief. The Reds need relief arms as bad as starters so I certainly don't have a problem with it.

Markakis would look pretty nice in the Cincy farm system about now. I guess the quibbling over 250K doesn't look like much now.
    Well, I think the Reds liked him as a pitcher anyway.

The Red Sox drafted Texeira, but didn't sign him. The Yankees drafted Prior, but didn't sign him. Etc., etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Well, I think the Reds liked him as a pitcher anyway.

The Red Sox drafted Texeira, but didn't sign him. The Yankees drafted Prior, but didn't sign him. Etc., etc. etc.
    I can't remember any recent examples of a draft-and-follow player that exploded yet wasn't signed and went back into the draft and was picked early in the draft. If they blowup in JC ball they get signed. If you aren't willing to pony up the cash then what is the point of selecting a draft-and-follow player.

I can't remember any recent examples of a draft-and-follow player that exploded yet wasn't signed and went back into the draft and was picked early in the draft. If they blowup in JC ball they get signed. If you aren't willing to pony up the cash then what is the point of selecting a draft-and-follow player.
    I won't argue that it wasn't disappointing to see Markakis go back into the draft. But the guy didn't exactly "explode", and teams were split on whether he'd be a better pitcher or hitter. I'm pretty sure the Reds had him as a pitcher, which makes daydreaming about his outcome in a Reds uniform downright fantasizing.

it wasnt a draft and follow type, Prior and Teixeira both went to college, not JC, they had to wait until their Junior year to be draft eligible again. It was a simple draft and try to sign but didnt happen.

Turn Off Ads?